PDA

View Full Version : If Pat Rafter Was Still Playing...

verker-er
07-06-2006, 03:14 AM
where would he get to at wimbledon? Despite all the talk about slower courts, I'm going to guess at least the semi-finals.

While its true that the courts are slightly slower and they aren't using regular balls, the major problem with serve and volley tennis is that the best athletes aren't doing it anymore.

Thoughts?

Verbal_Kint
07-06-2006, 04:15 AM
Well, I think he'd have a good chance. He won the USO twice, right? The harder surface would actually favour his kick-service.

Marat Safinator
07-06-2006, 04:20 AM
He would get to the second round if lucky. last wimbledon was 01 and this is 06. come on

Marat Safinator
07-06-2006, 04:23 AM
what was that white patch in his hair he had in 2001 wimbledon. was he bald at that part of his head and added sunlotion or something??

vive le beau jeu !
07-06-2006, 04:45 AM
what was that white patch in his hair he had in 2001 wimbledon. was he bald at that part of his head and added sunlotion or something??
i think it's just natural... a local depigmentation or something like this ;)

but it's rather his beautiful game that i miss !

naturalgut
07-06-2006, 04:52 AM
Yeah, I've always noticed that white patch when watching him play. He's always had it, and it is the reason for his nickname "Skunky."

whealben
07-06-2006, 05:03 AM
If Pat Rafter was still playing, I'd be a very, very happy viewer. I still miss his superb serve and volley skills. I'm gutted he never won Wimby.

And I wouldn't at all be ogling his rather fanciable physique. ;)

wyutani
07-16-2006, 04:01 AM
Well, I think he'd have a good chance. He won the USO twice, right? The harder surface would actually favour his kick-service.

rafter uses a kick serve? i didnt know that. unfortunately, i didnt have the chance of watching rafter play at all. pity me. :(

pound cat
07-16-2006, 05:43 AM
rafter uses a kick serve? i didnt know that. unfortunately, i didnt have the chance of watching rafter play at all. pity me. :(?

Why don't you order a Rafter CD on e-bay? They're not expensive.

HyperHorse
07-16-2006, 06:27 AM
Yeah, I've always noticed that white patch when watching him play. He's always had it, and it is the reason for his nickname "Skunky."

Actually no, that's not the reason he's called Skunky....
the reason he got that nickname is because he's been known to rip a few mega farts from time to time, in turn stinking out the entire locker room....
Mr Agassi wasnt impressed, but Rafter told him where to go.. :-D

raftermania
07-16-2006, 07:30 AM
Rafter said it himself that the game is too physical these days. He can't rush the net like he used to and expect to live.

prince
07-16-2006, 11:21 AM
he is one of the players with winning records against fed.
but of course it was early on feds carreer. but i bet if he was in his prime - he would give fed a lot of trouble.

eqc6
07-16-2006, 11:41 AM
rafter uses a kick serve? i didnt know that. unfortunately, i didnt have the chance of watching rafter play at all. pity me. :(

Wow really? You should defenitely watch Rafter vs. Agassi 5-setter matches, which are probably one of the more exciting rivalry. Especially since their games are complete opposite, and it's just amazing watching them duke it out.

Eviscerator
07-16-2006, 12:47 PM
where would he get to at wimbledon? Despite all the talk about slower courts, I'm going to guess at least the semi-finals.

While its true that the courts are slightly slower and they aren't using regular balls, the major problem with serve and volley tennis is that the best athletes aren't doing it anymore.

Thoughts?

No the courts at W are MUCH slower than before 2002, so don't kid yourself.

That said, I really enjoyed watching Rafter, just like I enjoyed watching Edberg and J-Mac.

S&V contrasted by a baseliner has always made for the best in tennis matches. Sadly, those days are gone unless they speed things up again on the grass and hard courts.