PDA

View Full Version : Pete Sampras vs Nadal on grass

ATXtennisaddict
07-06-2006, 05:59 AM
Who'd win? I never saw a thread on this. BTW, let's talk about both the grass during pete's time and the grass now.

vive le beau jeu !
07-06-2006, 06:05 AM
the great pete in 3 of course ! :D

ED_4.6HSE
07-06-2006, 06:06 AM
Comparing 7 times wimbledon winner and arguably the greatest grass courter who ever lived to nadal, getting ahead of ourselves here!

btw thats not saying i dont think nadal can win this wimby

ATXtennisaddict
07-06-2006, 06:08 AM
Comparing 7 times wimbledon winner and arguably the greatest grass courter who ever lived to nadal, getting ahead of ourselves here!

oh nadal fans will say otherwise, just waitin for them to show up

jaykay
07-06-2006, 06:08 AM
Since this is pure, unadulterated hypothesis anyways, I think such a match would be fun. Pete would hit some stunning serves and some dazzling volleys and Nadal would run about like a madman retrieving it and hitting some crazy passing shots.

I think Pete'll win it in 4.

ED_4.6HSE
07-06-2006, 06:10 AM
ok its sarcy then ;)

thought it was another nadal loving thread

ksbh
07-06-2006, 06:14 AM
Prior to 2001- Pete in straight sets.

2001 & post 2001- Can't tell. It could go any way. Pete's decline plus grass being slowed down. Also people like George Bastl beating him, why not Nadal! :)

Who'd win? I never saw a thread on this. BTW, let's talk about both the grass during pete's time and the grass now.

jeebeesus
07-06-2006, 06:17 AM
but they slowed down the courts and made the balls heavier, so its not the same anymore.

NadalFan1990
07-06-2006, 06:37 AM
I'd say Nadal would win it in 4..... But I have my doubts

brolycjw
07-06-2006, 06:41 AM
Make this fair by saying Pete Sampras on clay vs Nadal on grass. Nadal will lose to Sampras in straights on grass and vice versa for Pete on clay.

Galactus
07-06-2006, 06:46 AM
Doesn't matter if the grass is slower or balls are bigger.
Sampras' entrie grass-court game would see off all of today's Top20 except Federer.

Count Grishnackh
07-06-2006, 06:48 AM

If Nadal wins Wimby against Fed on Sunday. I pick Nadal over Pete then. Other than that, no.

Eviscerator
07-06-2006, 06:51 AM

:roll:

So that is why you started this absurd thread:confused:

I don't see why a Nadal fan would (except maybe a immature kid) think he had a chance against Pete, even on this much slower grass. I am sure if you asked Nadal, he would say he would have no chance, and pay the respect to Sampras he deserves. I've listened to Nadal several times, and to his credit he seems mature beyond his years, and pays respect to the other players, past and present.

Nadal is benefiting from a great draw, slower courts, heavier balls that sit up, etc. However he is also a very good player, and is trying to adapt his game to grass. He deserves credit where it is due because he cannot control any of the conditions, just do his best and see how far his game will take him.

Eviscerator
07-06-2006, 06:56 AM
If Nadal wins Wimby against Fed on Sunday. I pick Nadal over Pete then. Other than that, no.

There you are Count Grishackh. Since we do not have a PM system here on Talk Tennis, I was not able to see if you had ever seen my response to you in another thread. Here is the link, and my specific response to you from a deleted thread in post #3.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=103128

Feel free to post a reply there if you think you can justify your previous emotional rant.

Rickson
07-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Pete might beat Nadal if they played today.

bobdebouwer
07-06-2006, 07:13 AM
different time, different grass, different rackets, different balls
there's nothing to compare, times have changed. Pete was good in his time and now we have some others.

tomahawk
07-06-2006, 09:23 AM
I've always believed that since Sampras' reign, Wimbledon officials are purposely slowing down the courts and making the balls heavier to give other surface players a chance to play well there. Why do you think all the clay courters are all of a sudden doing well at Wimbledon? I would even say that all the tournaments are slowing down their surfaces to give clay courters a chance. Given that, if Nadal were to play Sampras with the courts during the 90's, I'd say Sampras in 3 easy sets, like 6-4, 6-3, 6-3. But if it were the courts of today, I'd say Nadal has a better chance and would squeak out a set or two, but still Sampras in 4 or 5 sets. I think if Nadal played a true grass court player (they're all but extinct) like Sampras, he wouldn't be able to do so well. Today's game is about baseliners and all-rounders. And unfortunately, the all-rounders for some reason play like baseliners there, when they should be attacking the net.