PDA

View Full Version : Why is Bjorkman still playing doubles?

MaxT
07-06-2006, 07:32 AM
He has a once in a life time match tomorrow. Why is he still playing doubles right now?

I guess he owed it to his partner. But you would think he can be excused for not working too hard? I heard he is playing mix too, is he still in it? How can he arrange?

Craig Sheppard
07-06-2006, 07:37 AM
He's a doubles guy. That's his priority and where he makes his money. The singles wins are just cake to him I'd think.

TennisProPaul
07-06-2006, 07:38 AM
He has a once in a life time match tomorrow. Why is he still playing doubles right now?

I guess he owed it to his partner. But you would think he can be excused for not working too hard? I heard he is playing mix too, is he still in it? How can he arrange?

because his only chance of a title is with doubles and he knows it, duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

he knows he will get crushed against federer, get real

skip1969
07-06-2006, 07:42 AM
well, surely he didn't DREAM he would be in the semis of the singles. or the quartera. or the fourth round . . .

but i was just talking about that yesterday when he won. thought for sure he would have to retire from at least one of the doubles events. you know he wouldn't have wanted to since those events are his best chance at a slam title. (i'm sure he's not putting money on himself to win the singles)

well, he lost in straights in the doubles and withdrew from the mixed. so now he's only got one match left to play, against a certain mr. federer.

andfor
07-06-2006, 07:46 AM

It's called "integrity". Something many folks today especially athletes know little about.

GO JONAS!

Tchocky
07-06-2006, 07:56 AM
Jonas has no chance of beating Federer. Why would he give up on the doubles when he has no chance in singles? It's just more prize money for me.

kicker75
07-06-2006, 08:23 AM
It's commendable that Bjorkman played doubles today. It shows loyalty to Max Miryni, who he's been playing with for a while. Now, with that being said, Miryni (who is also a singles player), showed loyalty back to Bjorkman and I dare say "tanked" their match today so that Bjorkman could get rest for the semifinals in singles. Bjorkman/Miryni are one of the top doubles teams out there and should not have lost against their opponents today (of course, they could have a bad day too...but the coincidence it too great in my mind)

There is no right and wrong here, as this is just the way things play out in tennis. Unfortunately, it is things like this that have hurt the game of doubles on the professional circuit.

If I were Bjorkman, I would have done what he did. If I was Miryni, the same... If I was the governing body of the ATP/WTA, I would figure out a way to fix this so that doubles doesn't fall off the face of the tennis earth....

Django
07-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Commendable? Loyalty? Sure, but geez, you're SUPPOSED to play doubles if you committed to it. We really let singles players off the hook once they get farther into the tournament than they expected, then pull out of dubs. Another of the sad side-effects of the modern game compared to a generation ago.

baseliner
07-06-2006, 09:29 AM
So who do you think beats the Bryans in the doubles final?

BiGGieStuFF
07-06-2006, 09:34 AM
so you're saying bjorkman/miryni tanked today's match?

andfor
07-06-2006, 09:35 AM
so you're saying bjorkman/miryni tanked today's match?

So much for my "integrity" post. Jonass you suck!

Marat Safinator
07-06-2006, 09:40 AM
they lost to a very good pair, any match against santoro is tough.

Eviscerator
07-06-2006, 09:43 AM
It's called "integrity". Something many folks today especially athletes know little about.

GO JONAS!

Well put!

Eviscerator
07-06-2006, 09:48 AM
It's commendable that Bjorkman played doubles today. It shows loyalty to Max Miryni, who he's been playing with for a while. Now, with that being said, Miryni (who is also a singles player), showed loyalty back to Bjorkman and I dare say "tanked" their match today so that Bjorkman could get rest for the semifinals in singles. Bjorkman/Miryni are one of the top doubles teams out there and should not have lost against their opponents today (of course, they could have a bad day too...but the coincidence it too great in my mind)

There is no right and wrong here, as this is just the way things play out in tennis. Unfortunately, it is things like this that have hurt the game of doubles on the professional circuit.

If I were Bjorkman, I would have done what he did. If I was Miryni, the same... If I was the governing body of the ATP/WTA, I would figure out a way to fix this so that doubles doesn't fall off the face of the tennis earth....

:confused:

I don't consider a 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 match a "tank" by any means. The combination of good play from the other team, and both Jonas and Max being low on fuel probably is the reason for the loss. I give credit where it is due because I typically see the glass as half full, not half empty.

Eviscerator
07-06-2006, 09:50 AM
So much for my "integrity" post. Jonass you suck!

Wow, you are pretty quick to assume something and switch your opinion, aren't you? Maybe I need to switch my opinion about your previous post I agreed with?:mrgreen:

Nah, because you had it right the first time.

Moose Malloy
07-06-2006, 10:16 AM
having best of 5 for doubles at slams is absurd(w is the only one that does this)
had it been best of 3, bjorkman wouldn't have an issue going deep in both draws.
I remember rafter withdrew from the doubles one year(when he was deep in both draws)
He said if it was best of 3, he would have stayed in the doubles draw.

Eviscerator
07-06-2006, 10:27 AM
having best of 5 for doubles at slams is absurd(w is the only one that does this)
had it been best of 3, bjorkman wouldn't have an issue going deep in both draws.
I remember rafter withdrew from the doubles one year(when he was deep in both draws)
He said if it was best of 3, he would have stayed in the doubles draw.

I disagree.

Why should doubles be treated any different than singles in the amount of sets they must play to win a slam:confused:

Moose Malloy
07-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Why should doubles be treated any different than singles in the amount of sets they must play to win a slam

I already said that Wimbledon is the only slam that plays best of 5 for doubles in all rounds.
Why do you think the other 3 slams play best of 3 for doubles? Because of situations like this, it isn't fair to the players.
Add best of 5 to the fact that Wimbledon is plagued by rain that often forces start of doubles being forced until the 2nd week, you see how out of touch W really is with the players.

Funny story:McEnroe in the early 80s(who was a great singles & doubles player) was in the finals of both events. He demanded that they reduce the doubles final to best of 3 since he didn't want to be worn out for singles final.
They actually caved into his request!(shows you just how big Mac was)
And he lost the doubles final in straight sets.

PBODY99
07-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Doubles, are we talking about DOUBLES ? As Johnny Mac & Maritna continue to show, it is about skill & will 1st in this discipline. :cool:

alienhamster
07-06-2006, 10:46 AM
So who do you think beats the Bryans in the doubles final? LOL. Good one.

The Bryans actually have a shot this year, I think. Maybe their best ever on grass, since their nemeses have done so well in singles and knowles/nestor had to play for 6000 hours.

alienhamster
07-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Look, it's an honor for Bjorkman to make it this far. It's an honor to get demolished by Fed in the semis at Wimbledon. I know what you're all saying about the doubles championships, etc., but there is a certain prestige in getting this far and getting to play maybe the greatest player of all time on his best surface at the end of a championship at the end of your career. I think he's right to focus on the singles here. He's got time to make it late in the doubles later this year and next year.

Who knows? Maybe he'll give Fed something to think about tomorrow. And then he'll get destroyed.

Eviscerator
07-06-2006, 07:34 PM
I already said that Wimbledon is the only slam that plays best of 5 for doubles in all rounds.
Why do you think the other 3 slams play best of 3 for doubles? Because of situations like this, it isn't fair to the players.

Well just because the other slams have changed, does not mean that W will make doubles the ugly stepchild also. Granted it does not have the popularity of singles, but how do you compare the greats of the past to today since they are not required to play 5 sets any more?

When change is driven by the almighty dollar, it is typically not a good thing. I like the fact that W also requires you to win the 5th set by playing it out rather than being decided in a tie-breaker like the USO has done.

The bottom line is that switching the doubles to 3 sets has not increased the amount of singles players participating in both, as it was hypothesized that it would.

Lee
07-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Let's go Jonas Steurrrrrrrrrrrr

MaxT
07-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Now in retrospect, it made sense for Borkman to play doubles. He didn't make a dent here.

RiosTheGenius
07-07-2006, 08:57 AM

I think we all know Jonas Bjorkman cares more about his doubles ranking than his advance in the singles, as big as wimbledon is.

simi
07-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Why should doubles be treated any different than singles in the amount of sets they must play to win a slam:confused:

Because of the amount of prize money offered at each round in the tournament?

Rabbit
07-07-2006, 09:15 AM

GO JONAS!

Great post!

SB
07-07-2006, 09:24 AM
There's no possible way Jonas could have pulled out of doubles -- remember, he knocked his own partner out of the singles draw. It would make it 10 times as bad if he ruined Max's chances in doubles, as well. Jonas would have lost a friend AND a doubles partner!!

Eviscerator
07-07-2006, 10:41 PM
Because of the amount of prize money offered at each round in the tournament?

Actually that is not what I meant by the question. It was in regards to the history of the game more than actual differences.

There's no possible way Jonas could have pulled out of doubles -- remember, he knocked his own partner out of the singles draw. It would make it 10 times as bad if he ruined Max's chances in doubles, as well. Jonas would have lost a friend AND a doubles partner!!

You know, that is a very good point that I had not thought of.