PDA

View Full Version : KAFELNIKOV HAD THE BEST BACKHAND DOWN THE LINE EVER!!!!!

Vanja Ljubibratic
02-19-2004, 04:04 PM
There's no real point to this post, but I just wanted to be the first one to mention the great Yevgeny and to celebrate my first official post.
If anyone is going to respond in any way, don't bite my head off.Thanks.

Shaolin
02-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Yeah it pretty darn good. But I think another Russian guy is not bad with the dtl BH. Hint: 33aces, 0 DFs vs Agassi

the 2004 Kafenikov has a great "glazed donut down the line" shot, he puts those away at will.

Greg
02-19-2004, 05:14 PM
Safin does have one of the best dtl BH ever. It's impressive as hell.

What ever happened to Kafelnikov? I haven't seen him play in a while, he was a pleasure to watch. I always wished I had his backhand.

bcaz
02-19-2004, 06:11 PM
There are some other awfully good ones. Nalbandian has a nasty one, and Sampras wasn't bad, either

Max G.
02-19-2004, 06:17 PM
Kafel retired. No more Kafel on tour.

jings
02-19-2004, 06:42 PM
I always remember Borg at Wimbledon just having a field-day threading proverbial needles down the line past almost anyone at will. He did it in a lot of other tournaments as well I understand.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-19-2004, 06:51 PM
Best backhand down the line is probably Nalbandian. He hits that from wherever he wants, so perfectly. Ferrero's is BOMB, same with Coria. I also see Fed hit some of the most insane backhands, like unbelievable, but I think Nalbandian hits it the most consistently.

JAYDOG THE RDX ATHLETE
02-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Lleyton Hewitt has the best backhand down the line

Tennis
02-19-2004, 08:04 PM
Guga is right up there, one of the smoothest down the liners ever.

@wright
02-20-2004, 07:00 AM
For 2 handers down the line, I like Safin, Nalbandian, and Coria. For one-handers, I like Federer and Guga(vintage Guga, not hurt Guga).

borisboris
02-20-2004, 07:02 AM
:wink: LENDL had a better b-hand down the line then the Russian Bear.

Vanja Ljubibratic
02-20-2004, 07:42 AM
Yea, Kafelnikov can probably put those doughnuts away for winners down the line as easily as if he were playing me in his prime!! Looks like he's shooting for the Boris Yeltsin look. First he was Y-man, now he's "XL Man," next he'll be BY Man!!

Thomas Tung
02-20-2004, 08:50 AM
I think Yevgeny has (had?) the best backhand in tennis. Even his fellow pros said so, based on a survey conducted by Tennis Magazine in December 1997.

jmckinney
02-20-2004, 10:09 AM
Kafelnikov had one of the best backhands of all time, especially on the return of serve. I like Nalbandian's and Hewitt's 2 hand dtl backhands and Guga's for one handed. Also, Agassi has a very good down the line backhand.

sliceroni
02-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Sampras hit bh winners regularly in his prime, 6 years in a row, as did Lendl.

Nosoupforyou
02-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Safin makes the backhand look so effortless, but hits it with such power, i'd say he has the best because he can be just as accurate with it as guys like hewitt and nalbandian, but can hit it so much harder

Sweden
12-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Why do we always forget the french player Cedric Pioline. He had the most fantastic one handed backhand I have ever seen!

gugafanatic
12-02-2005, 12:10 PM
Kafelnikov had an awesome backhand dtl. Does anyone recall his trademark "shaking" of the raquet head during his swing.

Sweden I agree Pioline had one of the sweetest backhands on the tour. However Guga revolutionised the one hander with his huge shoulder turn and loopy swing.

dmastous
12-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Miloslav Mecir would glide over and hit a nice medium pace cross court backhand maybe five times, then with almost the same motion, blast it down the line for a clean winner.

pound cat
12-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Safin does have one of the best dtl BH ever. It's impressive as hell.

What ever happened to Kafelnikov? I haven't seen him play in a while, he was a pleasure to watch. I always wished I had his backhand.

Last seen playing golf and poker in the Crimea.

LudaKrisKG
12-02-2005, 02:25 PM
He might have had the best
but Federer hit a backhand down the line clocked at 90 miles an hour
that's impressive

iscottius
12-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Today, nalbandian has the best DTL backhand. Federer can do everything including the DTL Backhand. I think that Richard Gasquet has an awesome backhand and is a player to watch in 06. Soon we will be talking about Gasquet as the best backhand in tennis

splink779
12-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Gasquet has an extremely explosive backhand down the line. He has an incredible ability on both wings to flatten out at will, something not all players can do. He is the next Federer. Ok I'll stop admiring Gasquet...

yvp
12-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Yep,I remember Kafle's shaking of the wrist,even his awkward volleys(with that weird grip) and the grip on his fischer which kinda 'expanded' near the end of the grip

Thomas Tung
12-03-2005, 06:14 AM
I agree. With Kafelnikov, you just KNEW the backhand down the line was going to come at some point. Yevgeny could do everything with that backhand; hit it hard off pace, or no-pace shots, redirect the ball effortlessly, took the ball early, had a good slice backhand, was remarkably consistent, and also had great angles. Yevgeny had a good record against hard-hitters like Enqvist and also against touch experts like Santoro.

Day in and day out, really the World #3 behind Sampras and Agassi during the mid-90s to 2001.

!Tym
12-03-2005, 06:20 AM
Two words: FROZEN ROPE.

Kafelnikov's backhand down the line was a frozen rope, and there was nothing you could do about it.

federerhoogenbandfan
12-03-2005, 06:42 AM
Kafelnikov is not the best ever at any shot. He was a player who managed to win 2 grand slams despite never winning a Masters Series title. He was a player who was often crushed by Sampras and Agassi, and occasionaly crushed by Rafter as well. He was a player who lost 6 times in a row to Thomas Johansson, and was dominated by up and coming Hewitt when he was still in his prime.

His backhand down the line did not have near the same directional control, placement, or sting that Safin for example has.

Sweden
12-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Thomas Johansson is also a guy with a great th backhand. Unfortunately his forehand is not as strong, otherwise he would have been top 10 consistently!

By the way, his serve is huge even if his not that tall. Anyone agree on this?

DariusRaiden
12-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Y-man had insane ball-striking ability, but was a classic underacheiver. He took the ball early, could really flatten out the ball, and actually was quite adept at using the whole court to construct points.

I think part of the reason he had trouble with Hewitt was his head. He liked to finish points in a hurry, like any attacking player. Perhaps he had trouble with patience against grinders? Anyway, this guy probably should have won 5 to 6 slams in singles, but only ended up with 2. Oh well, he left a few for Pete and Andre to take I suppose.

Bryan Aldridge
12-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Yeah, Safin and Nalbandian pretty much own this department now... at least for two-handers.

Jack the Hack
12-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Yea, Kafelnikov can probably put those doughnuts away for winners down the line as easily as if he were playing me in his prime!! Looks like he's shooting for the Boris Yeltsin look. First he was Y-man, now he's "XL Man," next he'll be BY Man!!

I'm not sure that Kafelnikov had the best down-the-line backhand ever, but he might be a candidate for the fastest player to get out of shape after retiring:

http://tinypic.com/ixz5va.jpg

At least he seems happy with this life and is enjoying his wealth...

156MPHserve
12-21-2005, 07:22 PM
I'd put my money on Gasquet's backhand against anyone...

galain
12-21-2005, 08:27 PM
No 'down the line backhand' thread can be complete without anyone mentioning Ken Rosewall.

Rabbit
12-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Connors had a nice down the line too...

goober
12-21-2005, 08:59 PM
Two words: FROZEN ROPE.

Kafelnikov's backhand down the line was a frozen rope, and there was nothing you could do about it.

Ahh the short and concise version ...
You may have broken your record for your shortest post ever! :D hah

bcaz
12-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Bandy is a killer DTL with his backhand.

RiosTheGenius
12-21-2005, 11:33 PM
nope, Nalbandian's got the best one I have seen