PDA

View Full Version : a way to lower tension on racquet by 2lbs?

datsveryinterestin
07-06-2006, 08:14 PM
i strung my RDS001 too tight.
the LUXILON ALU is holding tension too.
I tried to move the strings with my fingers, and I am tempted
to step on the strings to try to loosen them up.

Anything else I can do to lower the tension just a bit?
thanks!

kchau
07-06-2006, 08:17 PM
leave it in your hot car for 5 min

datsveryinterestin
07-06-2006, 08:21 PM
does it drop 2lbs for every 5 minutes in hot car????
:rolleyes:

i was hoping my hitting session today would loosen it up some... but geez
still very boardy!

Stan
07-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Hit it and sit it. Hit lots of balls and let it sit overnight. Trust me, the ALU will lose tension for you. Stepping on racquet face is not a good idea, too much potential for frame damage. Again, ALU will drop tension. Hit it and let it sit a day or two. It will drop at least 2 lbs...I promise.

kchau
07-06-2006, 08:22 PM
i dont know, its really random though..

its also bad for your racquet

looseswing
07-06-2006, 08:35 PM
How fast does alu rough drop tension?

Court_Jester
07-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Not sure for Alu exactly but polys can lose as much as 5 pounds by simply hitting a ball repeatedly.

MTChong
07-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Just put it in a hot car; the temperature adversely affects tension and lowers it.

diredesire
07-06-2006, 09:19 PM
faster than most make it out to...

You can gently heat it up with a hair dryer, but it's not a recommended practice. Stepping on it is not good for the racquet, but people do this... I'm not recommending it, but it's worth a try. Either way, it's not going to feel like it's "just" 2 lbs lower... It's still going to feel weird.

Stringer_Steve
07-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Hit it and sit it. Hit lots of balls and let it sit overnight. Trust me, the ALU will lose tension for you. Stepping on racquet face is not a good idea, too much potential for frame damage. Again, ALU will drop tension. Hit it and let it sit a day or two. It will drop at least 2 lbs...I promise.

leave it in your hot car for 5 min
Just put it in a hot car; the temperature adversely affects tension and lowers it.

And leaving it in a hot car is not potentially damaging?:rolleyes:
I just have to shake my head at some of the advice I read on this board sometimes

kchau
07-06-2006, 10:40 PM
And leaving it in a hot car is not potentially damaging?:rolleyes:
I just have to shake my head at some of the advice I read on this board sometimes

its also bad for your racquet

La Bomba
07-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Wrap a brick up in newspaper, then wrap it in a towel and reast the brick on the string for 1 night and it will drop tension by 2 pounds and not damage the racquet. Make sure you lay it on a flat floor.

datsveryinterestin
07-06-2006, 11:29 PM
La Bomba --- thanks... i think I will try that as my next match is 24 hours away.
I knew somebody would come up with a way to do this that makes sense AND doesn't mess the frame up.

If that doesn't work I will take it into the sauna with me! :confused::rolleyes: :mrgreen:

equinox
07-07-2006, 12:18 AM
If you leave the racket in a hot car. It will weaken the graphite fibers and melt like the wicked witch from oz.

Bad idea, I remember when i was young, i left a plastic toy submarine with electric motor! in the car boot. When i'd opened the boot, it had turned into twisted plastic blobs. I was heart broken.

theace21
07-07-2006, 07:58 AM
Either wait for the tension to drop (it will), or how about this idea - have it restrung. Everyone has had a racket strung that didn't feel good, that is why many people string their own rackets. A different stringer on the same machine, will string differently...

ShcMad
07-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Let Marat borrow your racquet and let him play for 10 seconds.

On a more serious note, there's someone on this board who put his racquet on hot water to loosen up tension.