PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a reel for new stringer/string experimenter.

ryohazuki222
07-07-2006, 08:31 AM
At first, I never considered trying different strings (string breaker!)... but now that's all changed since I finally bought myself a stringer.

I have a reel of kevlar right now with a few extra packages of misc. strings that came with the stringer. I'm looking to buy a reel of some standard synthetic string for myself to try out -- and also for when I string others' rackets (most people refuse to try out my kevlar...)

I've so far narrowed it down to two choices: 660' reel of Gosen OG-Sheep Micro 17g (this is what the site lists it as... I'm aware that tw has a 'generic' version for the same price of $30... any input on this is welcome), or a 660' reel of Tecnifibre Synthetic Gut 17g.

I can't find much about the Tecnifibre Synthetic Gut 17g... soo if anyone has tried it out, please let me know what you think.

Both are the same price -- $30 for 660'. I guess right now I'm leaning more toward the Gosen since it has great reviews (for SHEEP and GENERIC) and is 1.22mm compared to the 1.30mm of the tecnifibre.

So anyone out there have any advice?

EDIT:

Just found a 17g reel of tecnifibre (but 1.25mm ... not 1.30mm like stated on the other site) and $5 more. (but tw pricematches dont they?) But it still doesn't have reviews/comments though...

migjam
07-07-2006, 08:45 AM
Go with the Gosen. However, for a little more, I would step up to a reel of Wilson Stamina.

snoflewis
07-07-2006, 09:36 AM
gosen OG micro is a really good deal. i personally didnt like staminas because their durability is terrible....it's pretty ironic.

diredesire
07-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Yeah, for an "experimenter," it doesn't get much better than the generic OG-micro reels. It's truly the best value around. For a little more durability, consider trying Gosen ProForm Tuff 15l, it's a tournament nylon that has some pretty impressive playability for the gauge and construction. It's very crisp, has good bite, too!

As far as stamina goes, I think it's a good string, competes on par with Prince syn gut w/ DF.

migjam
07-07-2006, 02:27 PM
gosen OG micro is a really good deal. i personally didnt like staminas because their durability is terrible....it's pretty ironic.

Thats interesting, because I found the complete opposite between Gosen OG Sheep and Wilson Stamina. The Stamina had more durability than the OG and it played a lot better.

nViATi
07-07-2006, 02:52 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACFORTEN-FNR16.html

diredesire
07-07-2006, 03:25 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACFORTEN-FNR16.html

I bought a reel of the black nylon when i started to string. I ended up giving it away, it's garbage.

However, the yellow version isn't horribly bad... or so i hear.

Valjean
07-07-2006, 04:27 PM
The Tecnifibre syn gut is terrible. The better upgrade at Wilson is their Extreme Synthetic Gut. Over at Gosen, you'd like the OG Sheep Micro JC even better.

ryohazuki222
07-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks a lot for the responses.

I'm pretty much just looking to choose between the gosen and the tecnifibre strings (though I'll also consider babolat superfine play -- at least, that's what i think its called)... If I'm going to spend twice as much on a reel, I'd start researching again with the whole vast new lost of options.

Also, I'm really looking for a synthetic gut... i just have a negative (and probably baseless) attitude towards nylon strings... and since we all know how mental a game tennis is... I don't think I'd play well with it. But please enlighten me if nylon has some magical properties that could sway a biased person like me.

@valjean: why do you say the tecnifibre syn gut is terrible?

I don't think I've seen any negative comments about the cheap gosen string other than some saying it has very poor durability... is there anything else wrong with it?

Has anyone else tried the tecnifibre synthetic gut?

jak914
07-10-2006, 10:13 PM
gamma synthetic gut with wear guard. i have used this in the past for a very long time but now i break it way to often so i have had to move on to other things. i thought this was a very good string though. would say give it a try.

diredesire
07-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Thanks a lot for the responses.

I'm pretty much just looking to choose between the gosen and the tecnifibre strings (though I'll also consider babolat superfine play -- at least, that's what i think its called)... If I'm going to spend twice as much on a reel, I'd start researching again with the whole vast new lost of options.

Also, I'm really looking for a synthetic gut... i just have a negative (and probably baseless) attitude towards nylon strings... and since we all know how mental a game tennis is... I don't think I'd play well with it. But please enlighten me if nylon has some magical properties that could sway a biased person like me.

@valjean: why do you say the tecnifibre syn gut is terrible?

I don't think I've seen any negative comments about the cheap gosen string other than some saying it has very poor durability... is there anything else wrong with it?

Has anyone else tried the tecnifibre synthetic gut?

I tried the TF syn gut, i agree, it is pretty crappy. It's more stretchy than a nylon, and less resilient than.. a nylon.

FWIW: Syn guts are made out of nylon, but the grades and construction are different, albeit fairly slightly.

For your uses, again, the OG-micro generic reel and the Bab Superfine play are both excellent choices, I would go with the generic reel, it's $10 cheaper and every bit as good. More crisp, which i like, and probably ever so slightly more durable. The super fine play is surprisingly not-very-durable. I expected much better.

marcus_alsager
07-11-2006, 12:50 PM
my friend on here brucie has a reel of tecnifibre syn gut n its really nice on its own

brucie
07-11-2006, 01:17 PM
my friend on here brucie has a reel of tecnifibre syn gut n its really nice on its own
Yes indeed it is, very nice stuff, and relatively cheap.

ryohazuki222
07-12-2006, 04:23 PM
@jak ... just strung my racket with some actually. I've been using it as the cross with my kevlar mains.. but never actually tried it out by itself... I'll see if i like it tomorrow when i go hit with it...

thanks a lot for all the comments (esp. diredesire), they helped a lot. I ended up buying a reel of the gosen since it turns out, i STILL havent heard any bad things about it... not to mention that it's the cheapest...

snoflewis
07-12-2006, 09:21 PM
@jak ... just strung my racket with some actually. I've been using it as the cross with my kevlar mains.. but never actually tried it out by itself... I'll see if i like it tomorrow when i go hit with it...

thanks a lot for all the comments (esp. diredesire), they helped a lot. I ended up buying a reel of the gosen since it turns out, i STILL havent heard any bad things about it... not to mention that it's the cheapest...

good choice. i had a reel of bab sfp and now have the reel of og micro, and imo, the OG micro plays better. the SFP was too soft for me and kinda felt dead, while the og micro plays a bit more crisp and lively.

gooberwho
07-23-2006, 12:42 AM
I've had no real problems with the Technifibre synthetic gut.

Volkl_Tennis11
07-23-2006, 11:32 AM
I would say go with the Tecnifibre.

PrinceN3ung1
09-25-2006, 09:51 PM
prince tournament nylon; all around good string cheap too. like 27 bucks for a 660 reel.

pcpshortbus
09-26-2006, 02:50 AM
i would say gosen, but that forten string that someone posted is a piece of crap...

Mr. Blond
09-26-2006, 03:56 AM
Gosen has proven itself time and time again, and you just can't beat the price. If your learning you want string that has a limited lifespan so you can practice stringing more often. After you have mastered strining, then start looking for more durability.

SW Stringer
09-26-2006, 09:09 AM
I bought a reel of the black nylon when i started to string. I ended up giving it away, it's garbage.

However, the yellow version isn't horribly bad... or so i hear.

I got a reel of the (Forten) purple nylon (1.30 mm) a couple years ago and it was the absolute worst nylon I've ever used. It had no resilience at all, even the cheapest Slazenger Competition Nylon 1.40 mm had gobs more pop to it. I only use it as filler in Sweet Spot Hybrid Stringing.

TonyB
09-26-2006, 08:58 PM
I just have to add that I played with Gosen OG Sheep Micro Super 17 today and it was phenomenal. Awesome feel, great power, and amazing comfort. Definitely a big step up from your ordinary synthetic gut.

If I had to buy a reel of anything right now, it would be the Gosen. Granted, I haven't played with the entire lineup of strings from every manufacturer out there, but I must say that I'm impressed with this string. Aside from maybe a LITTLE more feel and possibly a BIT more spin, I don't see anything wrong with this string at all.

tlm
10-30-2006, 08:24 PM
I demoed a rds 001 mp + loved it, so i purchased one + strung it with tnt proplus 17 g. It did not play near as good as the demo which was strung with tec. syn. got in a 16 gauge.
So i bought a reel of tec. syn.+strung the new stick up with it+it played great.I use natural gut all the time, al least in the mains so you could say i am lucky.But i can not believe how well this cheap syn. plays it is unbelievable.

I would have never believed you could find a bottom priced string to play this well.If i use syn. string it is usually the top of the line, but so far this string plays better than most syn strings.I havent used it very long but it gives excellent bite+control.Also i hit with heavy topspin + this string does not move.

Dragonhorse
10-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Yeah, for an "experimenter," it doesn't get much better than the generic OG-micro reels. It's truly the best value around. For a little more durability, consider trying Gosen ProForm Tuff 15l, it's a tournament nylon that has some pretty impressive playability for the gauge and construction. It's very crisp, has good bite, too!

As far as stamina goes, I think it's a good string, competes on par with Prince syn gut w/ DF.

Hey diredesire,
I agree with u that Wilson Stamina is a good string. I compared it against Prince Synthetic Gut w/Duraflex and both gave me almost the same amount of playing time and playability. However i feel that Stamina is abit softer(not much) than PSGDF. I am going to try 1 more pack of Stamina again to comfirm. By the way, I love Cheap n Good Synthetic Strings with Good Poly as setup for my racquet :D

Cheers,
Ryan

hadoken
10-31-2006, 11:32 AM
Gosen is by far the best deal and best choice. Tecnifibre is so horrible that I bought a reel mainly to string for friends and I thought it was so bad I got rid of it.