PDA

View Full Version : Which are the lightest type of strings?

Ripper
07-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Aramids, multis, nat guts, polys or syn guts. I have a feeling that aramids are the lightest, followed by multis, syn guts and polys, in that order, but I don't have any proof of this. No clue as where to place nat guts.

MTChong
07-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Don't quote me on this because it's pure speculation, but I would say a stretchy thin gauge multi would be the lightest just because it stretches so much - especially compared to lots of Kevlar and Polyesters.

Court_Jester
07-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Ripper,

Your question is a bit difficult to answer because of the various string construction types. Two multifilament strings may be made of the same material but depending on the number and gauge of individual filaments that make a string as well as the binding materials used, you may get differing answers.

Assuming that we're only comparing monofilaments, i.e., single core only with no outer wrappings or coatings, kevlar (aka aramid) is actually the heaviest (or more precisely, the densest) among the synthetics. Vectran comes next and then polyester and Technora.

Kevo
07-07-2006, 06:00 PM
I know that Head Fibergel Power 16 is the lightest 16g I've tried. I think there is a wide variation in multis though.