PDA

View Full Version : how often should a racquet be strung?

hgb765
07-07-2006, 06:46 PM
i hear all this talk about stringing racquets, types of strings, machines.. etc
but what if youre not that intense of a player? is it still necessary? and if so how often and where can i get it done..

Valjean
07-07-2006, 07:03 PM
The USTA recommends twice a year, minimum, for recreational play--which can be as little as once or twice a month. When you play more often, another good rule of thumb is restring as many times a year as you play in a week. String manufacturers, moreover, say their string is good for no more than 30-40 hours of play. That translates to about three weeks of competitive workouts.

In truth it helps when your string breaks when it's exhausted; to achieve that, use the thinnest gauge you can, so it breaks about the time you want it to. Accuracy is the first apparent casualty of string exhaustion.

theace21
07-07-2006, 07:11 PM
The USTA recommends twice a year, minimum, for recreational play--which can be as little as once or twice a month. When you play more often, another good rule of thumb is restring as many times a year as you play in a week. String manufacturers, moreover, say their string is good for no more than 30-40 hours of play. That translates to about three weeks of competitive workouts.

In truth it helps when your string breaks when it's exhausted; to achieve that, use the thinnest gauge you can, so it breaks about the time you want it to. Accuracy is the first apparent casualty of string exhaustion.
Well said, I vote we make this a sticky...

noobplayer
07-07-2006, 10:30 PM
i havent restrung my racquet in 1 year but then again i only play once or twice a week. so supposedly a restringing is due.

snoflewis
07-07-2006, 10:53 PM
When you play more often, another good rule of thumb is restring as many times a year as you play in a week. String manufacturers, moreover, say their string is good for no more than 30-40 hours of play. That translates to about three weeks of competitive workouts.

i honestly think that rule is overrated. a person can play twice a week for 1 hour and another can play once a week for 3 hours. you cant say that the person who place twice a week needs to get his racket strung more often than the person who plays once a week, since the person who plays once a week plays more hours per week than the first.

imo, you should start out w/ some synthetic gut like PSGD 17g and then work out your string issue from there.

diredesire
07-08-2006, 12:25 AM
This is going to sound kind of weird coming from someone who is very "into" stringing, but if you're a casual player with no real intent on becoming the next steffi graf, don't worry about the strings unless you are wanting something new from them. If you feel your shots are lacking zip, completely out of control, or you want to see if they can improve your spin production, i would consider restringing then. If you're a recreational player intent on just having fun, or playing socially, IMO, just go out there and hit the ball. Adding that extra variable is just going to make things more complicated.

Another thought is: Having new strings will also make you doubt yourself, instead of focusing on just playing the game, you'll start wondering "man, are my strings dead (again)? You could just be having a bad day, and once that doubt creeps in... You'll be either restringing like crazy, or you'll end up hating tennis.

This is all pretty unorthodox, considering i am a person who practices the "art" (IMO) of stringing, but looking back, I've realized that I'm really more of a stringer now than a tennis player, and that's not how it should go.

tennispr()
07-08-2006, 06:52 AM
i string about 7-8 times a year and i play about 5 times a week

hgb765
07-08-2006, 08:08 AM
ok so since i don't have a machine/ don't know how to string.. where can i get this done? just at a tennis club/ sports store? and does anyone know how much it would cost
thanks

SrGuapo
07-08-2006, 08:38 AM
ok so since i don't have a machine/ don't know how to string.. where can i get this done? just at a tennis club/ sports store? and does anyone know how much it would cost
thanks

Any tennis club should have facilities to do it. Some sports stores may, especially ones that do repairs and such, rather than just high volume retail. It may depend on the area, but I would expect around $20-30 plus the cost of the strings.

brucie
07-08-2006, 08:47 AM
Id guess about 20 times a year.

diredesire
07-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Id guess about 20 times a year.

Haha, your signature brings out the funny...

As far as where to get it done: look up tennis stores in your yellow pages, they're probably the best place to go. Big sporting stores like G.I. Joes, Big-5, and Dicks (maybe even Sports Authority) may offer services like this, although i know not all do.

hgb765
07-08-2006, 04:22 PM
kk thanks guys

mctennis
07-11-2006, 05:51 PM
A rule of thumb- restring it as many times a week that you play, i.e. playing three times a week, restring your racquet three times a year. Hope this helps.

kicker75
07-11-2006, 06:06 PM
I don't usually follow the "how many times a week - how many times a year" ratio. Usually, if I can noticably feel the tension has loosened up, then I'll restring. (and of course if I break a string before then)

mctennis
07-12-2006, 04:07 AM
I agree with kicker. My post prior was " as a general rule of thumb." I also look at my strings or better yet if the string feels differently or I can't hit the shots as I usually do I restring. If you don't play often enough I think you would use the how many times a week rule. IMHO

southpaw37
07-12-2006, 06:55 AM
I recently got back into tennis and had my racket restrung. The place I get it strung keeps logs of everything and before my racket was restrung I had them test the tension on my strings. It had been about a year but my racket had lost about 40% of the original tension of 56lbs -- which put it at 33lbs.

I just thought all of this info was pretty interesting. It will be the last time I wait that long between stringings.

doriancito
07-12-2006, 06:38 PM
interesting.....3 weeks