PDA

View Full Version : how do we know what to skip on mains

tennispr()
07-08-2006, 07:36 AM
Im having trouble telling what main to skip to leave for the crosses. the instruction booklet that came with my stringing machine tells me to leave 7 and 9 open however this does not work on the Lm radical os ive just done and i know there are gonna be plenty of racquets that dont work at 7 and 9. Im wondering if there is some sort of technique to where we can know what to skip:eek:

TokyopunK
07-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Just find the racquet you are stringing on tennis warehouse and look at the Specs, at the bottom it will tell you what strings to skip. ;)

snoflewis
07-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Just find the racquet you are stringing on tennis warehouse and look at the Specs, at the bottom it will tell you what strings to skip. ;)

while this may be sufficient for skipping holes, it's not enough to tell you when to tie off and where to start the mains or crosses.

tennispr(), go check out klippermate.com and there is a link for stringing patterns. however, remember that in their instructions, T stands for Top and B stands for Bottom...where as other stringing instructions have H stand for Head and T stand for Throat. so don't mix up those T's.

diredesire
07-08-2006, 11:12 AM
If you are not confident to string without instructions, try looking carefully at the grommets you skip on the next few, guided racquets. You'll notice that (unless on a new racquet), the main string grommets will bow, or bend down/upwards. Most of the time this is easy to spot.

Another tip is: Imagine the cross strings are in place. If two of them are too close together, you know that's incorrect. Keep an open eye, and you'll rarely have to check a stringing pattern again.

snoflewis
07-08-2006, 11:16 AM
If you are not confident to string without instructions, try looking carefully at the grommets you skip on the next few, guided racquets. You'll notice that (unless on a new racquet), the main string grommets will bow, or bend down/upwards. Most of the time this is easy to spot.

Another tip is: Imagine the cross strings are in place. If two of them are too close together, you know that's incorrect. Keep an open eye, and you'll rarely have to check a stringing pattern again.

same w/ knots. even on a new racket, if you look closely, the grommet holes for tying knots are slightly larger than the other grommet holes

Court_Jester
07-08-2006, 11:25 AM
This is where experience comes in. Mains tend to be more evenly space together so it's easy to spot if you forgot to skip a hole or not. No technique at all on this one.

brucie
07-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Just look the way the grommets bend. And if you dont the strings wont be spaced right surely a givaway.

tennispr()
07-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Thx for all the input, thx for the site snowflewis it has about everything i need to know

Gaines Hillix
07-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Joining the USRSA is the best way to get access to string patterns, IMO. The manufacturer's websites will also have patterns for their current and last couple of generations of racquets. Another website is s t r i n g f o r u m dot net. They have a string pattern section.

ACE of TENNIS*0*0*9*
07-09-2006, 11:35 AM
I've checked on Babolat . com but they dont have the stringing pattern for the Pure drive Roddick, does anyone know where I can find that pattern or is it just like a normal pure drive?

Court_Jester
07-09-2006, 11:45 AM
You should have checked TW's website:

Babolat Pure Drive Roddick
16 Mains / 19 Crosses
Mains skip: 8T,8H
One Piece
No shared holes

ACE of TENNIS*0*0*9*
07-09-2006, 12:22 PM
It can also be done in two piece right?

goober
07-09-2006, 12:48 PM
It can also be done in two piece right?

Pretty much any racquet can be done two piece.

bsandy
07-09-2006, 01:54 PM
It the LM Rad SHOULD be done two peice.

. . . Bud