PDA

View Full Version : Stringing question

rscottdds
07-08-2006, 07:48 AM
If you ask for a string tension of 60 lbs and it is strung with a machine set at 60 lbs, won't the mains be at a higher tension than the crosses? I'm thinking that if the mains are strung first at 60 lbs, then 20 or so crosses are woven through the mains at 60 lbs, won't the crosses add tension to the mains (the mains are no longer in a straight 60 lb line but a wavy 60+ line)? If so by how much, and is that necessarily a bad thing?
-Robert

Midlife crisis
07-08-2006, 10:53 AM
If you ask for a string tension of 60 lbs and it is strung with a machine set at 60 lbs, won't the mains be at a higher tension than the crosses? I'm thinking that if the mains are strung first at 60 lbs, then 20 or so crosses are woven through the mains at 60 lbs, won't the crosses add tension to the mains (the mains are no longer in a straight 60 lb line but a wavy 60+ line)? If so by how much, and is that necessarily a bad thing?
-Robert

Tension in a tennis string doesn't really tell you much unless you also talk about the length of string that is under tension. For instance, you pull 60 pounds on a wood racquet and that string will behave a lot differently than if you pull 60 pounds on an oversized racquet. Longer strings need higher tension to have the same stiffness, which is the quality you are really trying to achieve (a certain level of stiffess) when you specify a string tension.

So, the mains are longer and as you say may have higher tension than the crosses for a variety of reasons, but their tension/length ratio will probably be pretty comparable to that of the crosses.

diredesire
07-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Tension in a tennis string doesn't really tell you much unless you also talk about the length of string that is under tension. For instance, you pull 60 pounds on a wood racquet and that string will behave a lot differently than if you pull 60 pounds on an oversized racquet. Longer strings need higher tension to have the same stiffness, which is the quality you are really trying to achieve (a certain level of stiffess) when you specify a string tension.

So, the mains are longer and as you say may have higher tension than the crosses for a variety of reasons, but their tension/length ratio will probably be pretty comparable to that of the crosses.

Spot on response, MLC. I know that although the crosses lose a lot of tension (due to uneven main pressure as you move down the bed, and the friction from being woven through the main strings). However, the crosses are so much shorter than the mains, I just assure myself that the stiffness of both is fairly similar.

As far as being a bad thing, I think it's fine. If anything, i would DROP tension on the crosses, to bring out the mains' play characteristics.

rscottdds
07-08-2006, 03:33 PM
I was wondering why the crosses test about 5 lbs less than the mains with a stringmeter. I know the stringmeter doesn't measure real tension but relative tension.
-Robert

TennsDog
07-08-2006, 04:23 PM
My mains and crosses usually read a lot more than 5 lbs different. I can usually get my mains to read right on what I strung them at right after stringing, usually around 60 lbs, but the crosses end up somewhere around 45 lbs. After a while of playing (if they don't break first), I have had some mains drop down to around 53 and crosses near 35. I don't worry too much about the actual tension on the strings, just the number that my machine reads and how they play from there.

diredesire
07-08-2006, 05:06 PM
My mains and crosses usually read a lot more than 5 lbs different. I can usually get my mains to read right on what I strung them at right after stringing, usually around 60 lbs, but the crosses end up somewhere around 45 lbs. After a while of playing (if they don't break first), I have had some mains drop down to around 53 and crosses near 35. I don't worry too much about the actual tension on the strings, just the number that my machine reads and how they play from there.

This is interesting, as i don't own a string meter, but i have one available to me. What method do you use? Aren't you supposed to test at a cross of a string? Do you just shift the stringmeter 90 degrees and check again? I'm really curious because a string meter seems to measure relative stiffness, rather than "tension."