PDA

View Full Version : Does Gut require more string?

FlyingBoat
07-08-2006, 02:35 PM
I don't get it. I have strung my wife's Dunlop Abzorber 108 a couple of times before and didn't have an issue. But I am trying this time with Gut string. I measure out the amount the guides say for the mains, 20', but I end up short by a lot! I can't even get the string to the crank so I can pull the last one and even if I did there wouldn't be enough string to tie it down.

I am using Bow Brand championship string that has been sitting in my office for a year and a half. Has it lost all its stretch by sitting around?

I took the string out of the racket, remeasured it and tried again, and still comes up way short. Would prestretching help? I thought stringing it up nearly to the end the first time would act like a prestretch. I guess I am going to take it out and try with regular to see if it strings up with the 20'. Maybe I am loosing my mind or looked at different patterns before, but two sites I am looking at both say the mains take 20' and the crosses 17', so why am I a foot short on both sides!

tennis-skater
07-08-2006, 02:58 PM
gut takes a lot of care and you must be very patient to put it in, i reccomend taking it to a pro if you want it done right

tennis_nerd22
07-08-2006, 03:35 PM
or the gut might have lost its stretchiness after being so old? :|

diredesire
07-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Gut shouldn't require more string, if anything, it should require less, it has a bit of stretch to it. If you can't reach the tensioner, try using a starting clamp as a stop gap solution, or knotting strings together. It might take a few tries to get it to hold, but it should do you just right.

DANMAN
07-08-2006, 05:33 PM
I think the Bow Brand might be 38 feet. If you got your "20 feet" by cutting the coil in half, you would be in trouble. I did this with Zyex (Dynamite) the first time...thinking it was a set of 40 feet.

FlyingBoat
07-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Bwo is 37.5ft. I cut a bit over 20' but it was way short. 6" each side would have maybe done it. I redid with Goshen Sheep and cut a bit over 21' and that worked well. Not sure if 20' would have. I think it would. The Goshen stretched a lot more than the gut, so it is probaly a matter of the gut being perhaps dried out a bit. I am going to try it in a different smaller racket and see how it goes.

Cruzer
07-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Unusual problem. I have never encountered a problem with gut vis a vis being too short on stringing the mains. I always measure the length for the mains and do not rely on advertised length on the string package. Also, I usually add a foot to whatever the reported length is from the racquet manufacturer as I have found the lengths for the mains to be the absolute minimum length of string needed.

chrisplchs
07-08-2006, 08:39 PM
if it has been sitting around for year and half, i hope it was sealed and out of direct sunlight... otherwise.. your gut won't last the stringing

FlyingBoat
07-09-2006, 10:51 AM
It was sealed in a closed box in an air conditioned room.

The string strung up fine on a smaller mid-plus racket. The abzorber is an OS, 108" head.

I have usually found the specs to be too generous with other string. Maybe the specs are the absolute minimum when using a non stretchy string.