PDA

View Full Version : how much should i charge for stringjobs

tennispr()
07-08-2006, 02:45 PM
what should i charge for string jobs... Im probably gonna use Gosen OG Micro which doesnt cost too much.

tennis-skater
07-08-2006, 02:57 PM
$15 at the most because if your not certified or anything its not too great of a deal

str33t
07-08-2006, 02:59 PM
10 if the person provides their own string and 15 if they dont

snoflewis
07-08-2006, 03:01 PM
what should i charge for string jobs... Im probably gonna use Gosen OG Micro which doesnt cost too much.

well, according to other threads, you just recently got your machine, so don't you think it's a little early to start stringing for others?

currently, i only string for one friend at this time and i only have him pay $5 for an OG micro 16g string job. the reason being that i don't like making a huge profit off my friends and i'm just stringing for experience right now. i've had my machine for a year and have strung about one frame a week.

Davai
07-08-2006, 03:03 PM

That's a little alot isn't it?
Usually I have stiff competition that I can't undercut so I only charge $7 with my own string.

tennispr()
07-08-2006, 03:18 PM
well im gonna be stringing for my highschool tennis team which isnt too many racquets and its good experience and i can only get better at it ive done 2 frames so far.
well 7 dollars seem kind of low to me..theres another kid at my school who strings for 15 dollars but is extremely lazy and doesnt return ur racquet untill probably like a week to a month later. I need to make some sort of profit to pay my brother for buying me a stringing machine. Im only a sophmore in highschool and thinking that i got a good 3 years left in high school and i plan on playing tennis all 3 years a stringing machine would save me alot of money while making some as well.

Can som1 tell me what are the diffrences between string guages i heard that 16 is durable but im thinking abot getting 17 since i have my own stringing machine now. Ive read through the forums and ppl said that 17 has better feel

Court_Jester
07-08-2006, 03:20 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=108322

You're still not clear on how to string racquets yet and you're already thinking of charging people money for the service? Good luck with that! :D

couch
07-08-2006, 03:32 PM

I charge $10 for the labor if they have their own strings or not. If they have their own strings its $10, if they don't have their own strings then I charge whatever I paid for the strings plus $10.

Masamusou
07-08-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm going to say this as nicely as possible. You do not have the experience to charge other people for a service where they expect a certain level of expertise in the field. You do not have any reputation at all, and as you have admitted, pretty much nothing as far as experience goes. You couldn't even pay me to allow you to string my frames. It's all about consistency, and you don't have the experience to even know what consistency means, much less how to actually apply it.

Edit: I charge $10 if they have their own strings, if I'm providing the strings it depends on who they are and what strings.

snoflewis
07-08-2006, 03:36 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=108322

You're still not clear on how to string racquets yet and you're already thinking of charging people money for the service? Good luck with that! :D

exactly what i said. would you want someone who's only strung 2 frames in their life string your racket? because i certainly wouldnt.

in the case that you crack a frame, are you financially stable enough to replace their frames? because if you send the frame in for warranty, chances are, it's not gonna get replaced because it was the stringers fault. my friend's seen one guy string rackets for his teammates and he came back w/ a cracked PC600, cracked ti.radical MP, and an out of shape babolat pure drive, and he's a chronic string breaker...so he strings frequently (but it's apparent he doesnt do a good job)

you stringing for others right now would be like having a doctor that's only treated two patients...each racket is different and so are the patients.

Court_Jester
07-08-2006, 04:07 PM
exactly what i said. would you want someone who's only strung 2 frames in their life string your racket? because i certainly wouldnt.
That's the advise that I gave him (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=997224#post997224) on another thread but apparently, it fell on deaf ears.

in the case that you crack a frame, are you financially stable enough to replace their frames? because if you send the frame in for warranty, chances are, it's not gonna get replaced because it was the stringers fault.
I couldn't have said it better myself. :cool:

tennispr(), think very hard on this very real possibility before you even consider stringing for other people.

TennsDog
07-08-2006, 04:19 PM
I change how much I charge for stringing based on who I'm stringing for. When I did my high school team's rackets, I charged $12 including PSGDF. When I string for someone else I don't know very well, I charge $16. It also depends on how in demand a stringjob is. At school (Michigan Tech), there isn't really any place to get it strung if you're not on the team. I bring my own portable machine to school, so I can charge a bit more there because options are limited.

snoflewis
07-08-2006, 04:31 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself. :cool:

i only asked this because he said that he needed his brother to pay for his machine, an SP Swing. if he breaks a frame, not only is he gonna lose customers (especially on the team since no one wants a broken frame during season), but it's gonna put him in more debt...

my friend who also got an SP swing is taking no risk at trying to string by himself right now because he doesnt want to break a frame.

im not saying that the SP swing is a bad machine, because i have one, but to tennispr()...you're thinking WAY ahead of yourself.

LoveThisGame
07-08-2006, 05:11 PM
There have been many such discussions on pricing on this board. Most all the time I see at least two pricing factors unmentioned.

1) Folks seem to look only at the costs of labor and string. There is the cost of the machine, depreciated over time. There are tools, string to test, USRSA membership hopefully, time to keep accounting records -- sales tax and profit, some advertising (at least business cards), shipping for those strings, etc.

2) There is pricing based on costs and pricing based on costs and market conditions. Prices do vary around the U.S. at least!

diredesire
07-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Yeah, looks like you're going to need a little practice before you start. While it might seem like we're all quick to jump on your back, it's good advice. Take it for what it's worth, and don't worry about what people think of you.

As far as cost... If you have competition, labor charges are probably going to run you around $10 +/- $3... If you have lots of competition, chances are you're going to go lower, if you don't have much, chances are you'll go higher. However, $15 is the labor charge for a typical pro shop (sometimes ranging up to $20). I wouldn't venture into the $13+ range unless you really think you have a good reason to. (i.e. you feel your time is worth more than another stringers, or you have the expertise and experience to provide a great job every time).

Take the advice and get more practice.

superman
07-08-2006, 05:34 PM

First, do it free because you need people trust you and that you can string it well. Do that with first few people and then charge 5-10 bucks.

DANMAN
07-08-2006, 05:37 PM
I charge 10 for labor...10 + string cost if I provide the string...and 15 for gut. I have had gut snap on me due to a defect once and felt that I should pick up the tab as it would earn me return business (as it has). I feel that gut takes more care and a machine cleaning and thereby is worth a few extra dollars.

tennispr()
07-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Alright i guess ill get some more experience before trying to string other peoples racquets:)

snoflewis
07-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Alright i guess ill get some more experience before trying to string other peoples racquets:)

good idea.

chrisplchs
07-08-2006, 07:46 PM
very good idea.

i charge 12 for labor on synthetics and 14 for gut. i charge for psg 18 and go to nxt at 28. vs is 55.

i charge a little extra than what some high schooler or random person does it but i can as my customers know me and that they know they will get something quality back. and that i gurantee 24 hr service

TennsDog
07-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Fast turnaround is very important when stringing. For my team I always guaranteed I'd have it the next day for practice, even the same day if necessary no matter how many I had to do. It's hard to put a price on having your racket when you need it. Waiting 2 weeks for MC Sports to get mine done is why I started at all. You will get many more loyal customers if you can guarantee a fast turnaround to get it back to them.

ryohazuki222
07-08-2006, 08:27 PM
I'm kinda/sorta in the same position...

I learned to string a couple months ago, because a friend needed me to help out as a stringer for a bing tournament that was coming up. I strung several rackets then and fell into a "groove" .... but then a couple months passed until I finally bought my own stringer... after attempting to string my racket the first time, I realized that I wasn't anywhere near ready to string rackets for other people (in addition to not stringing for a few months and being new at it... I went from stringing on an ektelon model h, to a cheap gamma dropweight).

About price-points... The tennis club at my school charges $8 for labor... $12 for a nylon string job... and $15 for syn gut, poly, or hybrid.

The other day my friend asked me to string his racket for him (thankfully it turned out fine)... he offered to pay, but i told him it was free.... The way I see it, is like someone else pointed out. Starting out, you may want to give em a freebie before you charge em... that way theyll also be happier to bring it back i think. As for myself.... I'm planning on charging anywhere from $0-$5 for friends for labor, and $7-$10 for others... depending how things go.

As for string cost... it's easy to see how much you need to charge to break even... or how much to charge if you'd like more profit.

looseswing
07-08-2006, 09:08 PM
The second singles on our team charges ten to twenty dollars for strining based on how much he likes you although he does not say this outright.