PDA

View Full Version : Less expensive equivalent of TNT2

hcapps
07-08-2006, 06:37 PM
I have read a lot of the threads from this board about Gamma strings--a recurring theme seems to be people think they are overpriced.

I was interested in opinions about less expensive equivalents with similar playability and durability of the Gamma TNT2 16 guage for stringing at home purchased by the reel. Thanks.

Kevo
07-08-2006, 10:56 PM
I haven't played a string that is quite like TNT2. There is something slightly different about that string. I think Klipper Zyex or Head FXP are close although each of those is slightly unique as well. They are both similarly priced, but more durable than TNT2 in my experience.

rasajadad
07-09-2006, 03:39 AM
My question is; If the string is working for you, why change? Is it just the price? What do you like about the string? Any other dislikes?

hcapps
07-09-2006, 08:05 AM
I have enjoyed the string mainly because very responsive with good feel, easy on the arm, and lasts reasonably. I had used Gamma Marathons for years for their longevity until switching about a year ago to the TNT2 (accidentally was strung with TNT2 instead of my requested Marathons by pro shop and I ended up really liking it).

I had read a lot of reviews on this board that stated that Gamma's were overpriced but rarely providing a cheaper equivalent so I was just interested what they might be.

Thanks for any comments.

Valjean
07-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Babolat's Fibertour would do it. If you want the thinner 17, try its Syntronic Brio then. Tecnifibre's newest, Multifeel, is a good bet too.

rasajadad
07-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Personally, I always liked the TNT2. I know that Gamma takes a rap on this board, but mostly for being overpriced. Which the TNT2 is not, in my opinion. I would concur with your list of positives for this string from my years with it. When I moved, it was to a higher priced string, Technifibre NRG2. This is slightly more expensive but it gave me more spin and control, and lasted longer. My current set up is straight gut which came about after I shredded my elbow on a BB Alu Power hybrid. The BB Alu gave me spin like I've never had before. Also pain like I've never had before.
None of the less expensive strings I tried ever worked out they are:
Wison Sensation- lost tension
POSG w/D- A little too stiff for me
Babolat Conquest- Great for a set and a half
Wilson NXT- More $$$. Like hitting with a board
Gamma TNT2 Pro Plus- Used in mains only. Also more $$$. Move a lot. Very soft. Godd for me as hybrid only.
Technifibre X-1 BiPhase- More money. Like it a lot. (More than NRG2)

These are my non-gut string experiences. Hope it helps.

Kevo
07-09-2006, 08:23 PM
If you're willing to spend $10-$12 on a string, try the Klipper Zyex or the Head FXP. The Zyex probably needs to be a pound or two tighter than the TNT, and the FXP should probably be a pound or two lower depending on the guage. Both IMO are better than TNT as far as feel and durability go, but if you like the TNT and don't mind the price, then there isn't really any reason to switch unless you're just curious. TNT lasted me only about a week in the 16g, much less than other cheap syn guts I tried in 16g. The Klipper Zyex in 17g lasted me almost two weeks and it's really nice, but for me it's a bit pricey considering I can get similar performance from Cyberflash for much less. The Cyberflash isn't nearly as nice to hit with, but the results are good.

jak914
07-09-2006, 09:24 PM
i would have to agree with the FXP. I like it alot. Very good string

Steve Huff
07-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Tenex is owned by Gamma, and many of the strings are nearly identical.

hcapps
07-11-2006, 04:52 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Wldarsp
07-11-2006, 06:17 AM
I like plain Gamma Syn gut better than TNT2 and it only costs $3.50.

Other strings that I liked:
- Babolat Pro Hurricane 18
- Wilson Reaction
- Wilson Extreme Syn Gut
- Prince Synthetic Gut

Even better, try some polyesters:
- Topspin Cyber Flash
- SPPP
- Unique Big Hitter

Hope this helps