PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try Gamma Ball Pressurizer?

kninetik
07-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Main reasons I throw out my ball is either the ball loses too much pressure and affects the movement of the ball or the ball just fuzzes out into oblivion and slows down dramatically. Does this pressurizer actually recharge the ball or is it just a container for fresh balls out of the can so it doesnt lose its charge while its waiting.

camelF4i
10-25-2004, 05:20 AM
I have a question along the same lines, hope you don't mind my bumping of your thread.

I don't actually need a pressurizer (not even sure how that's possible to re-pressurize a tennis ball) but I would like to get one of those containers that can hold your ball to keep it from losing pressure.

Do you know what these are called and if TW sells them?

camelF4i
10-25-2004, 05:50 AM
Oh, I was looking around and found this. Anybody used it before? It seems to be a lid you put on your can of tennis ball.

http://www.bouncesaver.com/index.html

OnyxZ28
10-25-2004, 01:06 PM
I have a tennis ball saver that I forgot about in my parent's garage when I went to college. Four years later, I found that same ball saver in the garage, and opened it. The balls inside were very well preserved.

praetorian909
10-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Yes, I'm also curious if anyone has firsthand experience on how well these work and if they're worth it. Doesn't seem like TW carries any but I've found three which all seem to be pretty much the same (and same in price of <$10). They are:

Tennis Ball Saver made by Gecxo/Telesport (might be the first one that came out)
Restore made by Unique Sports (the makers of Tourna grip)
Gamma Revive

These seem to work by keeping the balls pressurized, the same pressure that the balls come fresh in the can. They can also restore old balls but I read you'd have to store it for 4 to 8 weeks.

I was even thinking I should get more than one of these so that I can keep more than 3 balls fresh. Anyone have any of these specific brands/models?

AimeeCubitt
03-10-2005, 03:42 AM
I am currently in the process of designing a tennis ball re-pressuriser as part of my degree in mechanical engineering. I have found another similar product that is capable of containing a large number of balls at one time - http://tennistrainingballs.com/tennis_ball_chargers/tennis_balls.htm. Not the most aesthetically pleasing of products but still it claims to work effectively.

Are any of you tennis players (as I am not) who have had experience of using such products or who are interested in giving me some feedback as to what their expectations of such a product are? Are there any features that you think should be included within the product that would encourage you to buy it?
;) Feel free to help me out by clicking on this link and answering my survey!
http://is-nri.com/take?i=95012&h=gQdyUhIdbsEZT_fxQwzIJA

praetorian909
03-19-2005, 07:21 PM
I ended up buying the Gamma Revive Pressurizer, which works perfectly. Thankfully, it's not too hard to open/close (it's quite smooth actually) and isn't much hassle at all--now I just wish I had bought it earlier.

It really helps since I find balls to lose their bounce soon after I start using them, probably < 1 week. It's also cold most of the time where I am, which makes it even worse. My friend had left his freshly opened balls his bag in his car (a few days with overnight temperatures below freezing) and they now bounce near a foot less than what they should.

Aimee, I filled out your survey. And coincidentally I'm also studying Mechanical Engineering (as an undergrad).

AimeeCubitt
03-21-2005, 07:05 AM
Thanks to those of you who have filled out my survey!! Praetorian - which country do you live in as I have only seen these products on sale in the U.S. and would be interested to find out if they can be bought in the U.K. and if so how! It is interesting to find out that you are also studying Mechanical Engineering - it's a tough old course (!), where do you find time to play tennis! If you can think of any design features that you think should be present on your Gamma revive product or anything that you think could be improved about it I would be very interested to know.

Thanks for your help and good luck with your studies!!!

praetorian909
03-26-2005, 01:29 AM
Hi, sorry I didn't check back on this forum earlier. I live in the US but I would imagine you might be able to find them in a large sports store, or you could try and ask a local pro tennis shop. The company Gamma also makes strings and also I believe Fischer rackets. If that fails you could try to buy online (unfortunately Tennis Warehouse doesn't seem to carry any). I checked the place where I got mine from and they can ship internationally. You can email me for the website (by clicking on my username) which I won't be able to post here.

Some things where I could see room for improvement about it is that it is a bit heavy (feels to me about 1 to 1.5 lbs). I realize that the thick plastic was necessary to be able to sustain the pressure without any danger of cracking, but it would be nice if it was lighter so that I could carry multiple cans in my bag. Or I suppose a larger one would work also if it was light enough and if the shape is easy to hold.

Another thing is that there is an O-ring, and the directions say that it has to be kept clean and lubricated with Vaseline. I imagine most people won't even bother with this, so if this could be eliminated or reduced that would be better. I've noticed that if it is not well lubricated that it becomes extremely difficult to turn.

The other alternative to this is the pump idea. I personally think that this would be more trouble than putting balls in a canister each time, but you could try surveying to see what other people think. It gets a bit tricky though since tennis balls are treated more as something disposable (not like footballs, basketballs, etc) and since they also become unusable because of felt wear and if the felt gets too dirty--they darken and get hard to see. I've noticed to always have decent set of 3 balls means would mean replacing them after 2-3 times of play. This can be a bit expensive which is why the pressurizer makes a lot of sense to me, and I'm surprised I don't more people using them (and actually I've only seen one other person that had one).

Mechanical Engineering is pretty tough, so I play when I can :). Good luck with your studies as well!

matchpoints
03-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Does anyone want to design something to preserve the fuzz? Seems like my balls go nuts after one hitting session.