PDA

View Full Version : Pro Kennex 5G: favorite set up?

javier sergio
07-10-2006, 06:28 AM
Hi Guys

What is your favorite string setup on your Pro Kennex 5G's?

I tried some synthetics (Prince syn.gut), multis (Wilson Sensation, Ashaway Dynamite and NRG2) and hybrids (Signum SSS+Wilson Sensation).
The one that I like the most on this racquet is Ashaway Dynamite, the bad side is they move a lot and don't last much.

Can you tell me which string you are using and at what tension?

Thanks !

mark rodgers
07-10-2006, 07:32 AM
I used to play with the 5G exclusively. IMO the 5G works well with a lot of different strings. If you're looking to keep the softness of a synthetic and something that doesn't move around so much I would suggest you hybrid your favorite synthetic with a soft poly, like Topspin Cyberflash or Signum Pro Poly Megaforce in the crosses. My favorite tension in the 5G was 62lbs but that's just me. Don't hesitate to try a full poly string job in your 5G. I think you'll like it and the Kinetic system will help keep the vibration down.

rasajadad
07-10-2006, 08:06 AM
My signature has my current setups, but those are my preferences. As far as hybriding goes, I have an unanswered question; Will two piecing a PK void the warranty as they only recommend one piece? I have loved NRG2 in this frame until I tried a full gut setup. I'll never go back (with this frame.) I have strung between 60 full, 62 full, and 62M / 64 crosses. But with the 17gauge, I'll do 60 or 62 lbs. both ways.

thinktowin
07-11-2006, 11:46 AM
I've been using Luxilon Alu at 55 lbs. Strings don't move, durability is excellent and feels great for a full poly string job. To me this feels less harsh than full gut at 62 which was my previous setup.

mattm
07-11-2006, 04:06 PM
I've been using Luxilon Alu at 55 lbs. Strings don't move, durability is excellent and feels great for a full poly string job. To me this feels less harsh than full gut at 62 which was my previous setup.

I've been playing something similar. Topspin cyber flash @ 54lbs. feels great, plays great, super spin. I like it so much I bought a reel of the stuff.

netman
07-11-2006, 05:33 PM
I've tried a lot of strings in the PK 5g. I keep coming back to an all Gosen Sheep Micro 17 string job. The Kinetic tech handles vibrations well so multis feel really dead. Polys are just too dead for me. I tried nat gut and nat gut hybrids, but to be honest they weren't 10 times better than the Gosen, which was the cost differential.

I play mainly S&V and hit mostly flat shots, though I am throwing in more topspin these days. I get 10-12 sets out of the Gosen before I cut it out and restring. Buy a generic reel and your cost per job is roughly $1.80.

-k-

mctennis
07-11-2006, 05:46 PM
I use gut in my G5. Tight as the specs give me.

kenyee
07-13-2006, 05:45 PM
BDE Perf gut. Have also tried Klip Legend gut and Babolat VS Team but didn't like either as much (too boardy) and the VS Team only lasted 3 outings :-P

javier sergio
07-14-2006, 06:21 AM
thanks guys !!!!

steveq81
07-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Mike,

How are things? Shoot me an e-mail some time when you have a minute.