PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Filament Durability / Wilson Reaction

JRstriker12
07-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Just wondering, in general, how ling do Multi-Filament Strings last in general?

I usually play with Wilson reaction. I play between 3 to 6 times a week (team tennis, tennis ladder, practice) and I find that Reaction keeps its feel, touch and control for about 3-4 weeks - I play with a Wilson Blitz strung at about 63 lbs.

After the third or fourth week, I feel like I get a trampoline effect and that balls start going long and I loose control.

I am thinking about trying a different string, but I was wondering if about 3 weeks of play is considered good durability for a multi?

The synth gut on my other racket doesn't have the same level of feel, but it seems to last alot longer.

Valjean
07-10-2006, 12:54 PM
A typical "syn gut" like you seem to have has a solid core; this aids tension retention. OTOH, your three-four week limit is pretty typical of synthetic string, multifilaments as well. There are three strings I usually still like after that time--Gosen's Courier string (another solid-core synthetic), and Prince's Premier and Laserfibre's Laser Supreme (both multis).

JRstriker12
07-10-2006, 01:09 PM
A typical "syn gut" like you seem to have has a solid core; this aids tension retention. OTOH, your three-four week limit is pretty typical of synthetic string, multifilaments as well. There are three strings I usually still like after that time--Gosen's Courier string (another solid-core synthetic), and Prince's Premier and Laserfibre's Laser Supreme (both multis).

Cool. Thanks! I'll have to check those out.

Was talking to the stringer at my local shop. I may also think about a poly-mutli hybrid to see if I can get some additional durability.

Masamusou
07-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Cool. Thanks! I'll have to check those out.

Was talking to the stringer at my local shop. I may also think about a poly-mutli hybrid to see if I can get some additional durability.

To be honest, if you are getting 3-4 weeks out of a multi, you have no real need for poly. Most poly strings also lose tension dramatically and do so fairly quickly. You should never go to a poly for tension maintenance and that is really what you appear to be looking for, not durability since multis already last you quite a while. Poly is a completely different string from multi that would probably be a bad choice considering the feel you probably like from the multi. You won't get anywhere near the touch and feel with a poly and you don't appear to need extra durability.

coach
07-10-2006, 01:24 PM
I agree, 3-4 weeks isn't too bad but if you want to extend that even longer, here are two other suggestions that alone, or combined together may push you to 5+ weeks. 1) use string savers 2) hybrid the multi. I personally use a soft multi Tecnifibre NRG2 (in mains) and x it with Prince Syn Gut with Duraflex. The string savers along seem to add 50-70% more time between breaks but the hybrid is a nice way to go too... firms up the string bed a bit but lasts longer and I can control my volleys much better as a result.

JRstriker12
07-10-2006, 01:34 PM
To be honest, if you are getting 3-4 weeks out of a multi, you have no real need for poly. Most poly strings also lose tension dramatically and do so fairly quickly. You should never go to a poly for tension maintenance and that is really what you appear to be looking for, not durability since multis already last you quite a while. Poly is a completely different string from multi that would probably be a bad choice considering the feel you probably like from the multi. You won't get anywhere near the touch and feel with a poly and you don't appear to need extra durability.

Actually, you are right. I am looking more for tension maintenance. Should have re-worded my post.

I do like the feel of Reaction, guess I'll just have to re-string more often as the ball just sails long and I lose control after that 3-4 week time frame.

Thanks.

MTChong
07-10-2006, 01:57 PM
3-4 weeks is a lot as others said; I found a gut hybrid lasts me more than twice as long as the multifilaments (which comes out to the same price with Legend).

Ronaldo
07-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Only gut will give better tension maintenance. Reaction stays crisp longer than most synthetics.