PDA

View Full Version : TENNIS WORKOUT PLAN

PHSTennis
07-13-2004, 11:49 PM
I saw Agassi at Mercedes Benz Cup today, he hits hard... really cut, I want to get a little bigger than he is and as lean, oh boy he hits hard! Can someone make me a workout plan or something please I weigh 140 5'7 and im 16. Should I be doing light or heavy weights, what should I workout what not to, please help me out, I do about 30 mintues of cardio when I can, thanks in advance. Need to get rid of my gut too lol .. even Agassi has a gut.. he didnt have his shirt on...

zesty-man
07-14-2004, 01:13 AM
wow, youre a lot like me. im 16, 5'7, 148 lbs. sorry i cant really help you out with anything, but once i was watching some tennis, and the reporter (patrick macenroe i beleive) was saying that aggasi had a bench press of 300 something. i wanna say 315 lbs, but i cant say for sure. anyways, he said that it probably doesnt physically help aggasi's game, but mentally, its a real boost for him.

almost forgot to add, i read somewhere that aggasi has really been working hard on his endurance and agility, and that hes in the best shape of his carrer, blah blah blah. he runs up hills a lot, so i guess that increases both is muscular endurance and his strength. i think the fact that youre running up hills goves you an extra "burst of speed" when you need it.

atatu
07-14-2004, 07:32 AM
You guys need to get the book "Core Performance" by Mark Verstegan. I just got it yesterday and it has a lot of good information in it. Also, I know it's tough to justify the money when you're 16, but you should invest in a few sessions with a personal trainer, they can show what to do and help you design a workout routine. Maybe for your b-day ask your folks for a gift certificate and skip the X-box this year.

zesty-man
07-14-2004, 09:54 AM
heh, i got a gym at home where i can work out, and one of my close friends just graduated from oregan with his degree in some kinda sports training, and hes planning to be my trainer. this guy brome some kinda record for the weight he benched (for his weight class), but the good thing about it is, he played tennis in high school. so maybe i can get a few helpful tips from him

PHSTennis
07-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Cool, I workout at 24 Hour Fitness... I get helped by guys there, they are really nice and helpful, really cool. Well as far as the book goes... as long as they are books my mother would pay for them hehe, yeah at 16, Im backing out on games, no idea why but its starting to bore me, listening to my instructors lectures from 6:30 - 10 PM sounds like more fun to me, I have a PS2 but dont even touch it, about 5 months already, I need to work on my body... eh I got that double cheese burger 6 dollar burgers at Carls Jr. today... It was the **** except 7.50 and a big belly haha those are huge... try it!

bigserving
07-15-2004, 02:55 PM
Didn't you ask this same question a couple of weeks ago?

PHSTennis
07-16-2004, 11:49 PM
YES, I got a bit busy and didnt get a plan there... im find more time now ... want to see if someone would get my a workout plan... I have been doing my stuff for week! thanks!

atatu
07-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Just a quick update, I was looking at the core performance website and they have a series of DVD's, including a tennis DVD that will be availabe at the end of July, check it out....

Phil
07-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Cool, I workout at 24 Hour Fitness... I get helped by guys there, they are really nice and helpful, really cool. Well as far as the book goes... as long as they are books my mother would pay for them hehe, yeah at 16, Im backing out on games, no idea why but its starting to bore me, listening to my instructors lectures from 6:30 - 10 PM sounds like more fun to me, I have a PS2 but dont even touch it, about 5 months already, I need to work on my body... eh I got that double cheese burger 6 dollar burgers at Carls Jr. today... It was the @#$% except 7.50 and a big belly haha those are huge... try it!

Could someone please translate this for me...I tried to put it through Alta Vista's Babel Fish, but there's no language listed as "Teenlish". Thanks.

SC in MA
07-22-2004, 05:08 AM
Atatu: Thanks for the info about Core Performance. My local library has it so I'll be looking at it soon. Have you started the 12 week plan ? Any feedback would be appreciated. Also, do you plan on buying the Core Performance Tennis DVD when it comes out ?

atatu
07-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Haven't started the plan yet, waiting for my summer tennis season to be over. I have pre-ordered the DVD and will post a "review" here after I receive it.

IceBlue
07-30-2004, 12:44 PM
Hey all, I also ordered the DVD and it still hasn't shipped. :S

vin
08-05-2004, 04:24 AM
...you should invest in a few sessions with a personal trainer, they can show what to do and help you design a workout routine.

I think you'd be better off doing research and reading books. Some of the advice I've heard by personal trainers is shocking.

A personal trainer at Gold's gym told me that I shouldn't do any warm up sets before work sets. Advice doesn't get much worse than that. I was also told to use the Smith machine for squats. If you do your research, you'll find out why this is bad advice.

I'm sure there are some great personal trainers out there, but if you give your trust to one that is not so good, you may end up hurting yourself and compromising your ability to play tennis or any other physical activity. A bad exercise, or even a good one executed the wrong way, done for a long period of time can cause some serious damage.

Kobble
08-05-2004, 11:26 PM
Legs- Deadlifts or free weight squats.
Back- Pull-ups or Rows.
Chest- Benchpresses(dumbells are best) or parallel bar Dips.
Abs- Weighted situps and others.

If these are the main exercises in your routine you can't go wrong. Don't give up running either. Search some routines on Testosterone Magazines website and find what fits you schedule and goals.

bcaz
08-06-2004, 12:01 AM
Vin, can you explain why the Smith machine is bad for squats?

vin
08-06-2004, 03:48 AM
bcaz,

Here's a link I found from a quick search on Google.
http://www.exrx.net/Questions/SmithSquat.html
If you do some research on the author of the response, Stuart McRobert, you will find he is focused on safety and what works for those with average genetics. Do a search on Amazon for his books, I think they are very good. 'Beyond Brawn' and 'The Insiders Tell All Handbook on Weight Training Technique'. Akward titles, but great information.

I agree with Kobble. It's hard to go wrong when sticking with some basic compound movements. At that point, all you have to worry about is making sure you are doing the exercises correctly. The books mentioned above can make you be sure of that.

Vin

bcaz
08-06-2004, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the response, Vin. I can see it's somewhat inconclusive, but since I'm someone with a chronic lower back condition, I always want to be careful. My legs are pretty strong and (knock on wood) relatively injury-free after 50 years on the planet. I use leg press machines that to not compress the spine (put you in a sitting position rather than supine) and I do dead lifts ... VERY carefully ...

vin
08-07-2004, 04:52 AM
Yes, if you decide to do squats or deadlifts, be very careful. Even bench press, shoulder press, and rows can strain your lower back. Just make sure you lift the weight slowly and under complete control. That will decrease the chance of injury.

You should try trigger point therapy for your back. Try this book.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1572242507/qid=1091883015/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/102-8999386-8873753?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
For $20 and a couple of hours of reading, you can't go wrong. And if it doesn't help your back, it will teach you to resolve other aches and pains that you may develop from tennis.

bcaz
08-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Thanks again, Vin. I'll check the Amazon links. I've done well in keeping in shape and managing my back, but it's always good to seek out more information.

bob
08-14-2004, 10:45 AM
Here's a good bodyweight workout:

http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout1.shtml

On my non tennis days I :
-run a mile
-do around 160 pushups (pyramid from 1 to 12 and back to 1 followed by 10-16 tricep pushups
-do 4 sets of 25-30 squats and 25-30 "bootstrappers" (check the url.

The body weight stuff and the squats are pretty low impact.