PDA

View Full Version : String Closest to Gut?

DrewRafter8
07-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Yes, I've read the reviews and etc but I just want to complain. I decided to order and try X One Biphase with 17 mains and 16 crosses. The string came in with my Volkl Tour 10 Mid VE on Friday. I give the goods to my stringer, and he goes to work. He calls me today, tells me he screwed up. He missed a cross and proceded to cut out the 17 ga mains too. All that's left out of one pack of 16 and one pack of 17 is enough 16 to do crosses. So, he works at a local sports store and is getting me some Wilson NXT Tour 17 ga for my mains. Should I be as disappointed as I am right now? My understanding is that the X-One is THE closest thing to gut without paying the natural gut price. When I mean the closest thing to gut, I want the "catch and release" feel. Nothing quite like volleying even with the cheapest gut.

Oh, and to make matters worse, TW is out of the X-One 17 gauge. But I will be experimenting with multi's with natural gut feel. Klip Excellerator is next on my list. Any other suggestions?

tlm
07-10-2006, 08:53 PM
There is none!

MTChong
07-10-2006, 09:31 PM
The Klip Excellerator is a nice choice for sure.

Although in my experience, a Klip Legend 17g UNCOATED hybrid with Gosen lasted over twice as long as an X-One or Klip Excellerator hybrid so I got more hours/dollars.

By this... I mean that those multifilament hybrids broke in 2 or 3 days, while the gut hybrid lasted me 7-10 days of hitting. And now I went down a gauge and to a more dense pattern; so I'll be using strictly gut hybrids - too good to pass up.

andyroddick's mojo
07-11-2006, 01:51 AM
try isospeed professional, or isospeed control. I'm about to order sets of these, and there are countless great reviews on how comfortable and powerful it is, and especially how close it is to gut. it is also a few dollars cheaper then biphase.

Valjean
07-11-2006, 03:45 AM
Has he been asked to put in your string in the past, and done it well--or is this the first time he's done it? Just curious. X-One Biphase and NXT Tour do have a similar feel, but not the same record. Some stores aren't helpful when it comes to string you bring in.

Stan
07-11-2006, 04:16 AM
The closest synthetic to natural gut is LaserFibre Supernatural Gut Pro Stock.

bcaz
07-11-2006, 10:27 AM
I agree with Stan -- the only problem is that Pro Stock is pretty expensive, not much cheaper than some nat guts. It's an excellent choice for a gut user to string in a back-up racquet for foul weather use -- wet conditions, gritty clay, etc.

basil J
07-12-2006, 06:44 AM
I have found that 17' excellerator in an 18 x 20 string bed will last a good 10-12 hours before fraying. Excellent crisp feel, yet easy on the joints. I am giving poly a rest for a while to see if It has a negative impact on my game.

Court_Jester
07-12-2006, 07:01 AM
The closest synthetic to natural gut is LaserFibre Supernatural Gut Pro Stock.
For a few dollars more, might as well go for natgut like BDE.

monologuist
07-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Signum Pro Fiber High Tec EXP (multi), IMO...by quite a margin I'd add.

Stan
07-13-2006, 04:21 AM
To clarify...the Supernatural Gut is the synthetic that I have found plays closest to natural gut, but it is one of the highest priced synthetics at approx $20.00 per set. Still, that is a savings of approx. $4 - $12 or more depending on what grade of gut you are using. For even deeper discounts I agree with monologuist, the Fiber High Tec EXP is an exceptional multi at approx. $10 - 12 per set.

DrewRafter8
07-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Has he been asked to put in your string in the past, and done it well--or is this the first time he's done it? Just curious. X-One Biphase and NXT Tour do have a similar feel, but not the same record. Some stores aren't helpful when it comes to string you bring in.

Actually, he's my normal stringer. He's USRSA certified and was trying to do me a favor and string on a busy day. He's a friend of mine and never charges me, so I really shouldn't complain. We were both a little frustrated. He runs this particular sporting goods store, so he's a busy guy. Told me that he had 15 phone calls while he was trying to string.

ThePlungerMan
07-13-2006, 09:59 AM
IMHO
Gamma Live Wire Professional
Price: 19.95
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGAMMA-GLWPRO16.html

chiru
07-13-2006, 10:04 AM
why pay 19.95 for live wire when you can buy bde ralley for like 22. seriously i was always a sceptic, but my gut/poly hybrid is a lot better in everyway to any multi i used before (which has been a lot of them). it also has lasted me about 1.5 months of infrequent playing, whereas a multi would last me maybe 2 hitting sessions, 3 if im lucky. cost effectiveness gut is much better if you get your rackets strung somewhere else, if you do it yoursel fi guess it doesnt matter as much. just my $.02

brucie
07-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Should I be as disappointed as I am right now?

Yes you should! What a waste and then to give you nxt instead. Criminal!

Maybe youll find nxt better! I didnt but some do its supposed to be close to gut too!

ThePlungerMan
07-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Yes you should! What a waste and then to give you nxt instead. Criminal!

Maybe youll find nxt better! I didnt but some do its supposed to be close to gut too!
I think nxt is to soft and mushy, and the balls starting sailing soon after i broke the strings in

theace21
07-13-2006, 05:13 PM
If you want all the qualities of gut you have to pay for it. Nothing has yet been made - Hybrid and reduce the cost in half...

dfriedman5442
07-30-2006, 02:18 PM
I am currently using ISO Professional in my PD+ strung at 66lbs (as recommended by ISO string 6 lbs higher to lock in.) I am starting to get shoulder pain and am looking at gut hybrids such as the KLIP X or something similar. Any suggestions? Or should I go with VS Tonic plus a good multi>? And should I string the gut on the mains or crosses? Thanks.
david

Mike Danger
07-31-2006, 12:08 AM
I think nxt is to soft and mushy, and the balls starting sailing soon after i broke the strings in
Yeah i hated nxt, was decent for the first hour after that total crap. It was the only string i cut out, prematurely (but I suppose thats relative)

I have Live wire Pro in one of my raquets, and I was a bit disapointed, im still trying to like it, but it might be the racquet too.

On the other hand I have Hurricaine mains 18ga and Xcel 16 in the crosses and it feels pretty good. But then it is in a PT630