PDA

View Full Version : String breaking on mis hit explained.

brucie
07-11-2006, 06:55 AM
I dont think everyone here understands:

Strings break from mis hits. Yes.

Soft strings are more stretchy and will not get trapped so much on mis hits the same way a hard stiff string will.

Therefore people who break mains quickly AND COMPLAIN THIS IS WHY! The hard stiff poly, Big banger maybe, whatever, has no give and is trapped against the grommet, frame, whatever, and therefore breaks as it cannot stretch as required to avoid this.

Sorry most of you know. But it annoys me people saying how come big banger alu power broke after 1hour for example.

fishuuuuu
07-11-2006, 07:19 AM
I dont think everyone here understands:

Strings break from mis hits. Yes.

Soft strings are more stretchy and will not get trapped so much on mis hits the same way a hard stiff string will.

Therefore people who break mains quickly AND COMPLAIN THIS IS WHY! The hard stiff poly, Big banger maybe, whatever, has no give and is trapped against the grommet, frame, whatever, and therefore breaks as it cannot stretch as required to avoid this.

Sorry most of you know. But it annoys me people saying how come big banger alu power broke after 1hour for example.

Or, for all you know, people just hit hard enough (and flush) to break them that quickly.

brucie
07-11-2006, 07:32 AM
Or, for all you know, people just hit hard enough (and flush) to break them that quickly.

Maybe so but Blake doesnt do that too often and he puts alu power at 67, if you do hit hard enough great but what im talking of is people (i would quote but i dont want to target anyone) admitting to mis hitting but then saying "i would expect better i mean its not a soft string" or "i do that with soft strings and theyre fine".

Im not saying you cant break bigbanger or other hard polys from a flush shot instantly without wearing them down, however i would want to see it before i believe anyone who says they can!

fishuuuuu
07-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Maybe so but Blake doesnt do that too often and he puts alu power at 67, if you do hit hard enough great but what im talking of is people (i would quote but i dont want to target anyone) admitting to mis hitting but then saying "i would expect better i mean its not a soft string" or "i do that with soft strings and theyre fine".

Im not saying you cant break bigbanger or other hard polys from a flush shot instantly without wearing them down, however i would want to see it before i believe anyone who says they can!

Ask serveitup911, he plays D1 ball and complains of this kind of breaking. D1 players don't mishit like you say they would to break the string so fast.

diredesire
07-11-2006, 09:17 AM
Ask serveitup911, he plays D1 ball and complains of this kind of breaking. D1 players don't mishit like you say they would to break the string so fast.

I kind of wonder about this, I string for a D1 school, and I get quite a few of these breaks, actually. There are two guys that play with Gamma Dura blast 17g. About 30-40% of their frames come in sheared at the top. I wonder why this is...

Kevo
07-11-2006, 09:35 AM
I have broken some soft strings on mishits. It only takes one. Play on a windy day and hit near the top of the string bed on an overhead, and Sensation is likely to break. However, I have been playing Cyberflash 17g for a while now, and it does not shear. No matter how many serves I shank, or backhand mishits I have it doesn't shear. It always breaks near the middle mains at the notches. So I know I am getting as much life as I can from these strings. If sensation wasn't prone to shearing I would play it, but I like to hit hard, and occasionally I'll frame one.

serveitup911
07-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Well, hello.

I do break ALU in an hour of hard, heavy topspin hitting. It will generally last me about 2 sets in a match.

You must understand that for heavy topspin, string pattern makes a huge difference in string breakage. When I switched from 18x20 to 16x19, my string life was cut to 1/3.

I have never, ever broken a string at the grommet. They all break 2/3 up in the center.

I have recently tried the Babolat Elastocross string locks. If I put them in a 10x6 rectangle in the sweetspot, my strings last more than 6 times as long and actually eventually break outside where the string savers are. This tells me that I normally break strings because of friction, not mishits.

Wondertoy
07-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Wow, 6 times longer? Then I guess hey are worth it.

brucie
07-11-2006, 01:54 PM
I have broken some soft strings on mishits. It only takes one. Play on a windy day and hit near the top of the string bed on an overhead, and Sensation is likely to break. However, I have been playing Cyberflash 17g for a while now, and it does not shear. No matter how many serves I shank, or backhand mishits I have it doesn't shear. It always breaks near the middle mains at the notches. So I know I am getting as much life as I can from these strings. If sensation wasn't prone to shearing I would play it, but I like to hit hard, and occasionally I'll frame one.

This is the whole point of the thread and an example of what i mean its the hard string (polys) which are most affected on mis hits, i admit any string will break on a mis hit if it gets trapped too bad, but say nat gut escapes more times than say babolat duralast!

QUOTE=serveitup911]Well, hello.

I do break ALU in an hour of hard, heavy topspin hitting. It will generally last me about 2 sets in a match.

You must understand that for heavy topspin, string pattern makes a huge difference in string breakage. When I switched from 18x20 to 16x19, my string life was cut to 1/3.

I have never, ever broken a string at the grommet. They all break 2/3 up in the center.

I have recently tried the Babolat Elastocross string locks. If I put them in a 10x6 rectangle in the sweetspot, my strings last more than 6 times as long and actually eventually break outside where the string savers are. This tells me that I normally break strings because of friction, not mishits.[/QUOTE]

Well my friend you are a genuine beast and keep using the savers for they will save your wallet what tension do you paly at and gauge is 17 right?

EliteNinja
07-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Mis-hitting is part of tennis.
I mis-hit all the time and break polys in an hour from shearing at the frame.
It still bothers me as much as if I broke them because I am uber-strong (which I am not).
So I use synthetic because they last longer FOR ME.

LoveThisGame
07-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Heavy topspinners, particularly those with windshield wiper forehands, aren't going to hit the desired spot in the string bed on *every* shot. Those ws forehands are often hitting nearer the racquet tip and not on the center mains; it's simply too difficult to have a consistent hitting point.

Those hits are going to result in string breakage from shearing. Furthermore, Babolat's woofers allow some string movement around the hoop so there can be some notching near the hoop, which adds to breakage possibilities.

brucie
07-12-2006, 03:43 AM
It still bothers me as much as if I broke them because I am uber-strong (which I am not).

This is the whole point mate does anyone know what im talking abot the softert (less durable) syn gut last longer than the poly for people who break strings on mis hits rather than wear.

I break on wear so polys dont bother me but there you go!

Furthermore, Babolat's woofers allow some string movement around the hoop so there can be some notching near the hoop, which adds to breakage possibilities.
This is an interesting idea so woofer isdnt so good afterall?

LoneGun
07-12-2006, 04:28 AM

I agree. It doesn't matter how good the player you think you are, you are going to mishit balls from time to time. This is especially true for players playing in high level competition. Faster games = more harder mishits. You can even see federer mishitting the ball quite often, just go check out the slow mo videos on youtube. Remember, mishits don't necessary mean the resulting shot is gonna be long or wide, most of the time they will feel slightly different and weaker than a good shot. This difference in feel is especially pronouced in a mid size frame. So if you really want to test to see if you are mishitting the ball alot, try playing with a mid size frame. And of course, the shot the does the most damage to the string is the serve for most people. Those attempts on hitting the aces often create a lot more stress on the top part of the racket compared to a normal groundstroke.

Kevo
07-12-2006, 09:53 AM
This is the whole point of the thread and an example of what i mean its the hard string (polys) which are most affected on mis hits, i admit any string will break on a mis hit if it gets trapped too bad, but say nat gut escapes more times than say babolat duralast!

My example of Cyberflash was to point out that not all polys shear. I've never had Cyberflash, which is a poly, shear. Sensation which is a soft stretchy string shears easily. It really depends on the material. Have you ever hit silly putty with a hammer? It shatters.