PDA

View Full Version : How come factory strings or wal mart rackets never break?

ttwarrior1
07-11-2006, 03:12 PM
ive had my ttwarrior for almost 4 years now and hit with power and the strings are just as good as ever. They are just now starting to move on me and ive always used nylon. Or at least i think its nylon.

My 2nd racket is a wal mart racket and the strings are so tight and strong its unreal.

BadTemper
07-11-2006, 03:34 PM
my friend bought a 2 for $25 deal for him and his girlfriend because they wanted to learn tennis together. These cheapo wilson racquets are indestructible! One day I broke my strings while playing so I used his ghetto racquet, and sadly enough I kicked *** with it! I love using it.

snoflewis
07-11-2006, 04:10 PM
have you guys ever broken a string at all?

emcee
07-11-2006, 04:42 PM
I really don't think there's any way you can have a string job not deteriorate in 4 years. I'm sure if you get a new string job with the same exact string, you'll be pretty surprised.

Court_Jester
07-11-2006, 04:55 PM
I really don't think there's any way you can have a string job not deteriorate in 4 years. I'm sure if you get a new string job with the same exact string, you'll be pretty surprised.
Actually, the racquet that I bought in the late 80's still has its original string. I'm not a string breaker so the strings lasted that long. I'm starting to put a lot of topspins on my shots so I'm curious how this racquet would hold up. I took it out last week for a spin and surprisingly it held up, although the string were moving around quite a bit, much more than I remembered.

ryohazuki222
07-11-2006, 05:10 PM
That's definitely not true in every case.

I bought my first TT Warrior MP from TW a couple months ago. I played with the factory strings. They broke in less than a week. I've never broken strings that fast in my life... though I am a string-breaker. Just shows that it's possible.

mctennis
07-11-2006, 06:47 PM
They use weed whacker strings in them. lol

Stringer_Steve
07-11-2006, 08:15 PM
They may not have broken, but I can guarantee that they are dead. You may not be able to tell the difference, but a freshly strung racquet will die in an average of no more than six months. Strings do not have an infinite amount of "life."

ttwarrior1
07-12-2006, 03:05 PM
is this why i come sometimes serve 120 and it looks awesome and with the exact same toss and motioin it can land ten feet out?

snoflewis
07-12-2006, 03:43 PM
is this why i come sometimes serve 120 and it looks awesome and with the exact same toss and motioin it can land ten feet out?

ok...first of all, have you had your serve clocked? because i've noticed that you're going around saying you can serve 120 on a lot of these threads. remember a couple months ago you couldnt handle a 30 mph serve? but you can hit a 120 mph serve? im pretty sketptical about that.

if you can get a serve in...and you have the same toss AND motion, the serve should go in. your strings are gonna maintain similar tension...it's not like on one serve it's at 60lbs and on the next serve it's at 20lbs...

Ronaldo
07-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Can only break strings if you use them

ttwarrior1
07-12-2006, 06:28 PM
yep im still having trouble on super slow shots unless i just get ****ed and swing like im aiming to hit the person at the net and sometimes i get lucky and i get it in. Last match i was trying to do drop shots over the net with them and they were landing out ten feet. Yes ten feet

Kevo
07-12-2006, 07:27 PM
My friend bought one of those Wal-Mart Wilsons and the strings didn't break, the frame just crimped near the top. He got it replaced and the same thing happened. This was just from hitting, no racquet abuse. So the strings may be hard to break, but the racquets are junk.

doriancito
07-12-2006, 07:35 PM
they are mae from aluminium, they just bend, dont brake....cheap racquets

jackson vile
07-12-2006, 08:05 PM
My friend bought one of those Wal-Mart Wilsons and the strings didn't break, the frame just crimped near the top. He got it replaced and the same thing happened. This was just from hitting, no racquet abuse. So the strings may be hard to break, but the racquets are junk.

My wife played with one for 2 years, strung only once.

The strings and stringing is just really good. The strings and stringing I have her use now goes relatively fast.

The strings are still in that racket and still feel fine, a lot better than prince with duracrap.

Walmart rackets are very much worth the money:mrgreen:

Ronaldo
07-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Well, had great experience with a Head Ti.5000 that came factory strung with Head Synthetic Gut from Target for $11. Later found that it was a distant cousin of the Ti.Radical w/102" head.

Stringer_Steve
07-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Another reason they may not break is that they are mostly some sort of 15 guage crap string or nylon. Anyone buying a Wal Mart racquet is most likely not concerned with touch and feel of a good string/string job. I guarantee that the majority of these racquets are sold with dead strings from sitting in some warehouse for so long. Remember, the "life" of a good string job is at the most 6 months.
*Note, I did not say they would "break" in 6 months, just that they are dead after 6 months.

vinnier6
07-12-2006, 08:21 PM
My wife played with one for 2 years, strung only once.

The strings and stringing is just really good. The strings and stringing I have her use now goes relatively fast.

The strings are still in that racket and still feel fine, a lot better than prince with duracrap.

hey man, can i hit that crack pipe when your done with it...

Sebastien
07-12-2006, 10:57 PM
You seem like a friend I know. He bought a racket for $25 in local a supermarket. Broke the string after 9 months and returned it to the store saying that the racket has brocken on him. So they gave him a new racket.

Kevo
07-13-2006, 07:30 AM

Yeah, I think they are fine for someone who doesn't hit hard or is learning, but for any male player that hits hard, they are going to break the frame. My friend picked up his replacement for the first broken one on his way to the courts. He played about 1 1/2 sets of doubles before he noticed that the new frame has also crimped near the head and was lopsided. He ended up finishing the day with one of my spare frames. So for him, it was better to put the $25 dollars toward a real graphite frame. Admittedly these racquets are not targeted at league players, but more for weekend recreational type players. I mean you can go to almost any sporting goods store and find last years clearance frames for about $40 - $50 bucks.

jackson vile
07-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I think they are fine for someone who doesn't hit hard or is learning, but for any male player that hits hard, they are going to break the frame. My friend picked up his replacement for the first broken one on his way to the courts. He played about 1 1/2 sets of doubles before he noticed that the new frame has also crimped near the head and was lopsided. He ended up finishing the day with one of my spare frames. So for him, it was better to put the $25 dollars toward a real graphite frame. Admittedly these racquets are not targeted at league players, but more for weekend recreational type players. I mean you can go to almost any sporting goods store and find last years clearance frames for about $40 - $50 bucks.

The racket is a Head Graphite Fushion and the string some type of head string, SW 335, balance even, 112 sqin, 25mm beam.

My wife is 4.5 and went 3rd in state and she used not only same frame but same strings for 2 years.

The string still feels good, I wonder what they used.

I used the racket and had no problems when I first started to play.

I own many rare rackets and have played with 75% of all players frames in and out of production.

Further more as you can see I use gut, with my players frames.

Perhaps you are dealing with guarbage frames instead of quality priced frames which is what I was in reference to.

But in all reality if you are not a 4.5+ you don't need a racket better than that, and if you are 4.0 or below and break strings everymonth when not on clay then you know why are are below a 4.5.

I see a lot of newbies cracking frames and breaking strings, they just go wild hitting all out:rolleyes:

fastdunn
07-13-2006, 11:48 AM
I bought cheapo racquet-ball racquet factory strung.
I broke the string quickly and had it re-strung with cheapest
nylon at the lower end of recomended tension.
It never breaks after that. This was about 15 years ago.

Kevo
07-13-2006, 01:36 PM
The racket is a Head Graphite Fushion and the string some type of head string, SW 335, balance even, 112 sqin, 25mm beam.

I thought the racquet referred to by the OP was one of those metal frame wilsons that you only see at Wal-Mart. I know Wal-Mart sells some graphite frames as well, but those are more pricey usually.

My wife is 4.5 and went 3rd in state and she used not only same frame but same strings for 2 years.

Congratulations to your wife.

Perhaps you are dealing with guarbage frames instead of quality priced frames which is what I was in reference to.

Yes, that is correct. I was referring to a garbage frame. A $25 wal-mart wilson that deformed in less than two hours hitting. And it wasn't mine, it was my friends.

But in all reality if you are not a 4.5+ you don't need a racket better than that, and if you are 4.0 or below and break strings everymonth when not on clay then you know why are are below a 4.5.

I am a 4.0. I play with a RDX 500 mid weighted to 13oz. I break strings 2 to 3 times a month. They always break near center at the notches. It's classic string breaking at it's finest. Just because you don't break strings doesn't mean no one else does.

I see a lot of newbies cracking frames and breaking strings, they just go wild hitting all out:rolleyes: I've never cracked a frame from hitting all out. I've only seen one person ever crack a frame from hitting a tennis ball, and the frame was not well made.

jackson vile
07-13-2006, 04:56 PM
This post was not aimed at you rather the fool posting before.

As for you breaking strings 2-3 times a month, how often do you play, what are your percentages, why are you at a 4.0 level?

I break strings once a month and am not proud of it, mine break in the middle, I say this is due to poor string choices and hope the gut lasts longer, if not I will swith to string savers and possbily Klip Armour Pro.

I am guessing you use a synthetic? What guage I always use 17g-18g.

I find it parcular that in amazing hitting matches that pros will not break strings yet I hear a lot of people here doing so.

I have seen many breaks on the out sides from people, and even once myself on a serve, it was in very bad form of me to do something like that.

Kevo
07-13-2006, 09:30 PM
This post was not aimed at you rather the fool posting before.

Sorry, I took it that it was directed at my post since that is what you quoted in your response.

As for you breaking strings 2-3 times a month, how often do you play, what are your percentages, why are you at a 4.0 level?
I play about 3 times a week sometimes a little more. I use Cyberflash 17g and get about 20 hours out of a set. I am 4.0 mainly because I am not consistent enough. If I could consistently hit at about 75% of what I am capable of, I'm sure I would be a 5.0 or better. I have runs every now and then when I bagel one of my 4.0 opponents.

I find it parcular that in amazing hitting matches that pros will not break strings yet I hear a lot of people here doing so.

A lot of pros do the thing where they switch to a new frame every time they bring out new balls. So they rarely seem to hit in a match with a particular frame more than 1 set.

Swissv2
07-13-2006, 09:38 PM
I actually have a fascinating story about my strings.

I use prince synthetic gut & Gamma Synthetic gut, break those strings pretty fast (2-3 weeks). They are on my nCodes. Strange thing is I have a pro-kennex 90 sq inch with strings over 5 years old. The strings are still going strong - but the tension is low. I will soon provide pictures of my string so you can see them.

I am amazed since I hit almost same amount of time with all my racquets that my pro-kennex strings have lasted for so long.

HyperHorse
07-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Its all very simple...
Less tension=Less friction between Main & Cross strings...
Less potential for spin... Strings last longer... easy.

superman1
07-14-2006, 12:23 AM
If Nadal picked up one of those racquets and started hitting with it, I can assure you it wouldn't take long to break. And he'd probably intentionally break them because they would be such lifeless strings.

fastdunn
07-14-2006, 01:36 AM
Its all very simple...
Less tension=Less friction between Main & Cross strings...
Less potential for spin... Strings last longer... easy.

Generally, lower tension means more spin.
it might be lower spin to power ratio but
actually increases rpm

Ronaldo
07-14-2006, 06:47 AM
If you ever break those strings may discover they are as pliable as dry spaghetti.

jackson vile
07-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Sorry, I took it that it was directed at my post since that is what you quoted in your response.

I play about 3 times a week sometimes a little more. I use Cyberflash 17g and get about 20 hours out of a set. I am 4.0 mainly because I am not consistent enough. If I could consistently hit at about 75% of what I am capable of, I'm sure I would be a 5.0 or better. I have runs every now and then when I bagel one of my 4.0 opponents.

A lot of pros do the thing where they switch to a new frame every time they bring out new balls. So they rarely seem to hit in a match with a particular frame more than 1 set.

OK that explains it, I see a lot of people just going all out
I play with a lot and I mean a lot of spin so it is very very rare for me to hit out, also I do not hit full blast, I play the point out.

A lot of people don't realize that power is not what wins you the game.

At one point in my tennis I started to go full throtle on all my shots, did not aim/as much ect and just went for broke, still had good percentages for what I was doing.

But I kept losing, I discovered why I was not playing the game, the other person was and thus won.

There is a right time and place for the right actions.

If you are breaking the cyber like that then you must be able to hit one seriously mean ball.

You should be 4.5-5.0, think about what is holding you back.

I can hit a ball so hard with enough spin to hurt my opponents hand, I don't do it though because that does not win the game just looks cool.

You sound really good, much better than me that is for sure:mrgreen:

Tennis guy from NorCal
07-14-2006, 04:37 PM
I always wondered what kind of string is on those WalMart rackets

Ronaldo
07-14-2006, 05:42 PM
I always wondered what kind of string is on those WalMart rackets
Freakin' rope

TennsDog
07-15-2006, 08:48 AM
First of all, you rarely see pros break strings for two reasons. The first is many use polyester strings, which rarely break anyway. I get 8-10 hours of play on my Iso-Speed strings, yet have never broken a single set of polyester strings.
The other reason is because nearly every pro uses a freshly strung racket for each match. Agassi has each of his rackets restrung every day whether or not he's even touched it (at least I'm pretty sure I've heard that during one of his matches, and it wouldn't surprise me at all). This means that pros' strings never need to last more than 4 hours (or 6 for a really long 5-setter).
Generally, lower tension means more spin.
it might be lower spin to power ratio but
actually increases rpm
This is not right. They have come to find that tension has virtually zero effect on spin. It can only change the apparent spin based on power, but the actual number of rpm's remains unchanged for string tension. Check out the part titled "Tension and Spin" about 1/5 of the way down this page. http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200502/200502strings.html

Kevo
07-15-2006, 10:50 AM
If you are breaking the cyber like that then you must be able to hit one seriously mean ball.

You should be 4.5-5.0, think about what is holding you back.

My main problem is consistency. The reason I am not consistent is I have bad habits from being pretty much self taught. I am able to hit just about any shot, but there are so many little things that can mess up an excellent shot that without proper training and practice it's just very difficult to play near your best most of the time.

I can hit a ball so hard with enough spin to hurt my opponents hand, I don't do it though because that does not win the game just looks cool.

You sound really good, much better than me that is for sure:mrgreen:

I had some really nice shots in my doubles match this morning. One of my opponents was complaining that my second serve was harder than my first. It wasn't really, but I was hitting them quite well. I wouldn't be so sure that I am better than you. At this stage in my tennis development, I think a solid player that has a better mental game could beat me. One thing I can say is that lately I have not been "beaten" by anyone. I think at the 4.0 level that there isn't anyone who is going to actually beat me. I just have to keep from losing. That's the mental part of it. I've got to pick my shots better and be willing to win a point in more than 2 or 3 shots. I've been playing really well in singles lately and I'm improving, but I still have those daydream episodes where my mind wanders.