PDA

View Full Version : hybrid. a good a string to use with SPPP

hermano05
07-11-2006, 03:11 PM
any suggestions? thanks

is wilson sensation good? is x-one biphase much better? or xcell premium?
i dont want natural gut due to the price

tennis_nerd22
07-11-2006, 05:57 PM
use a good synthetic gut. i'd recommend gosen og sheep micro super

POGforEver
07-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Just strung my POG with SPPP 16 with PSGD, great setup! But then again og sheep is another great syn gut. I woudl stay away from using a multi, last time I did the it lasted about 4-5 days. Stick with a syn gut, and good luck!

Roy
07-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Prince Syn Gut Duraflex

300Gkid
07-12-2006, 04:09 AM
maybe Head FiberGel Power, thats what I was looking at to hybrid w/ this string as well

theace21
07-12-2006, 07:14 AM
I would use your favorite synthetic gut. I prefer Gosen Sheep Micro...

ch4ng
07-12-2006, 09:00 AM
another vote for gosen og sheep. its the string i use in hybrids

HappyLefty
07-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Just strung my POG with SPPP 16 with PSGD, great setup! But then again og sheep is another great syn gut. I woudl stay away from using a multi, last time I did the it lasted about 4-5 days. Stick with a syn gut, and good luck!
Is SPPP installed in mains or crosses?
What tension?

POGforEver
07-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Happy,
SPPP in the mains at 57 and PSGD at 61.

hermano05
07-12-2006, 05:39 PM
i have a doubt... i bought some sets of gosen og sheep... but they look like nylon! are there any gosen og sheep nylon?? it doesnt look like syn gut. and i paid really cheap...

brownbearfalling
07-12-2006, 06:15 PM
I've tried a hybrid with Wilson Sensation 17g in the mains and it's nothing special. I didn't add any extra feel than a full job of SPPP 17g nor did it add much power. The string job actually felt really dead which I didn't like. I've also tried a SPPP (in the crosses) hybrid with Wilson NXT tour 17g (in the mains) and that was one of the sweetest feeling string jobs I've ever. Lots of feel and a little extra power. So probably Babolat X-Cell Premium or X-One Biphase would be a good choice, just don't expect it to last very long if you play quite a bit.
________
Bmw motorsport (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_Motorsport)

monologuist
07-12-2006, 09:18 PM
natural gut...a cheap one will do...even Titan or Grand Slam. Much better than a synthetic IMO....of course I'm not a big string breaker...if I were, I might use something cheaper...(although a half set of Grand Slam gut is only like 6$)...better feel, comfort, power, and control, not to mention tension stability and durability.

hermano05
07-12-2006, 11:03 PM
what is the main difference between full SPPP string job and hybrid with SPPP and PSGD?

another question... signum pro is more than 2x expensive than og sheep micro and PSGD...
shouldnt i hybrid with a more expensive syn gut or multi? with a better stirng?

Midlife crisis
07-13-2006, 12:13 AM
what is the main difference between full SPPP string job and hybrid with SPPP and PSGD?

another question... signum pro is more than 2x expensive than og sheep micro and PSGD...
shouldnt i hybrid with a more expensive syn gut or multi? with a better stirng?

I think in reality the difference between a full stringjob and a hybrid with PSGD is going to be minimal for softer strokes, but the stringbed will be somewhat stiffer for harder hit shots, so it really depends on how hard you hit and whether you prefer a softer or stiffer stringbed.

There are two primary reasons to use a hybrid. One is to modify the characteristics of the strings you choose to use in the mains, which are said to provide 80% of the feel of the entire stringbed. The second is to save some money in case your mains are expensive. Using an expensive string as a cross kind of defeats the purpose of the second reason.

hermano05
07-13-2006, 05:13 AM
I think in reality the difference between a full stringjob and a hybrid with PSGD is going to be minimal for softer strokes, but the stringbed will be somewhat stiffer for harder hit shots, so it really depends on how hard you hit and whether you prefer a softer or stiffer stringbed.

There are two primary reasons to use a hybrid. One is to modify the characteristics of the strings you choose to use in the mains, which are said to provide 80% of the feel of the entire stringbed. The second is to save some money in case your mains are expensive. Using an expensive string as a cross kind of defeats the purpose of the second reason.

Really? i thought that the stringbed would be softer. because i thought that syn gut was softer than poly.

Midlife crisis
07-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Really? i thought that the stringbed would be softer. because i thought that syn gut was softer than poly.

Sorry, my original post was poorly written and worded. If you use a full SPPP stringjob, the stringbed would be slightly stiffer. Using a synthetic gut cross would make the stringbed slightly softer, as you said.

The stiffness differences would be greater during harder hitting, since the stiffness of the stringbed ramps up faster for poly than for synthetic gut. This is just due to the different materials behaving differently.

hermano05
07-15-2006, 08:15 PM
if i strung SPPP in mains and PSGD in crosses, which tension is better and why?

58 mains and 56 crosses OR 56 mains and 58 crosses ?

Mr.Federer
07-16-2006, 08:06 AM
Do any pros play with signum pro poly plasma?