View Full Version : Give me reasons why I shouldn't wear basketball shoes

fastdunn
03-04-2004, 11:09 AM
for tennis ? :roll:

Thanks,
FD

jayserinos99
03-04-2004, 11:30 AM
I've heard that they don't last as long as tennis shoes, especially in the toe area.

Hawaii 5.0
03-04-2004, 12:29 PM
The lateral support for tennis shoes is better than it is in basketball shoes and the way the sole lip is designed you wont catch an edge in tennis shoes which also have much more durable outsoles since tennis courts are the roughest in sports.The movements in tennis are different and the sole is designed for this and rarely do basketball shoes have built up toe areas.

fastdunn
03-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Some basketball shoes seem to be designed for particular
position/style players. Some shoes are for big power fowards
and some are for players for a lot of movements(cut/slash so to speak). Some shoes are claimed to have more lateral stability for those position with more movements.
So I thought it might be fine if I choose them carefully.

Plus, a lot of BBall shoes come with mid cut which ankle support
I would need. And I think BBall shoes are generally cheaper...

jayserinos99
03-04-2004, 01:37 PM
It depends on which basketball shoes you get. Obviously if you wanted to use the Jordans or VC3s then it wouldn't be cheaper than tennis shoes, but there are basketball shoes that are well priced and perform well.

On a tangent, the Adidas A3 technology has been used in tennis shoes; why not Nike Shox?

fastdunn
03-04-2004, 06:08 PM
I think it could be related to the lateral stability Hawaii 5.0 mentioned above. A3 is a bit different than Nike Shox
because they are more stable and claim to guide your
footing preventing over pronations and stuff.

Nike Shox cushion is actually suspended in the air
while a3 is constructed with continuous shock absorption
material.
Note that in tennis shoes a cube(a3) is applied
at the forefoot.

Anyway I would not get Nike Shox shoes for tennis.
It looks(and must be) unstable for lots of lateral movements in tennis.

polakosaur
03-04-2004, 07:50 PM
tennis and basketball shoes are essentially similar they are both based on the concept of the flat sole, tennis shoes are just more durable on the outsole.

sportsfan10
03-04-2004, 10:33 PM
I've been wearing BBall shoes for years-after having two severe ankle sprains in one year-and find the lateral stability to be fine. As several posters have noted, durability can be an issue. Just be careful of the tread/sole pattern.

One benefit I have noticed is that there are so many good bball shoes available at reasonable prices. You can often find very good shoes at sale/closeout prices as the styles change often.

lendl lives
03-05-2004, 11:30 AM
a3's

kreative
03-05-2004, 12:04 PM
as been mentioned before, nike shox feel great for forward movement, but not particularly great for backwards, or lateral movement. just not stable, and the "springy" feeling makes you want to go forward.

bball shoes usually aren't as durable, especially in the toe area (no additional reinforcement), and usually aren't as stable for increased lateral movement (steel shank, etc).

fastdunn
03-05-2004, 02:12 PM
I found quite a few tennis players around me use BBall shoes
and some of them do it because of better ankle support.
IMO, tennis shoes manufacturer should consider to fill this demand.

kreative
03-05-2004, 04:01 PM
there are some mid cut tennis shoes out there. i think most wear ankle braces thou.

Hawaii 5.0
03-05-2004, 09:25 PM
The way the outsole meets the ground and the roundedness of the edges is alos a big difference, but try hitting a groundstroke without dragging your foot(not gonna happen) and look where your wearing and see if those basketball shoes have a decent amount of rubber in those tennis specific areas like inner toe,outter heel, ball of foot and toe cap. I've never seen a basketball with an outsole warranty either.If you want to wear basketball shoes go for it, but there is a risk that based on design of the shoe and specific differences in the movements, you may get injured.

baseliner
03-15-2004, 08:37 AM
Biggest thing to remember is DON"T WEAR RUNNING SHOES to play tennis. That is just asking for injury.

Chopin
03-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Yeah most basketball shoes are ok...they're just not "tennis shoes" and therefore not as cool...just avoid running shoes :oops: .

@wright
03-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Besides the different support issue, they look funny on a tennis player. I never liked high top tennis shoes.

bcaz
03-15-2004, 10:50 PM
I swear by mid/high tennis shoes. I trashed my ankles playing basketball, which I had to give up 22 (!) years ago. In five years of playing tennis -- all singles, five matches last five days -- I've never had an ankle issue, and my ankles are not good. Problem is, mids are hard to find, even in a big city. To get good mids in the right size requires mail-order (thanks, TW :D ) and some trial and error

joebedford
03-27-2004, 06:48 PM
If they have dark soles, some of the tonier courts won't allow you to wear them. :roll:

equinox
12-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Because the black sole will mark and you'll then get kicked off the courts and possibly banned.

firstservethenvolley
12-30-2007, 11:45 PM
how many threads from 2004 are you planning to revive equinox ?

mctennis
12-31-2007, 04:55 PM
Basketball shoes are basically designed for inside use. They don't hold up
well outside and the tread designs are different also. Buy the shoe to fit the sport.

[K]aotic
01-01-2008, 11:21 AM
basketball shoes wear out REALLY fast.

roller~
01-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Refer to the upper good posts.
If U aren't convinced, Try out it yourself.

HyperHorse
01-01-2008, 12:51 PM
If i wore high cut basketball shoes I think I'd trip over myself because of decreased ankle mobility and the fact they are much heavier and I'm not used to wearing high cuts.
:-D