PDA

View Full Version : What shot of yours is affected by string's tension drop the most?

LoneGun
07-11-2006, 08:17 PM
I found myself double faulting a lot after playing for about 10 hours with my ALU power, but my other shots are still alright. Any of u guys have the same problem?

Roy
07-11-2006, 10:42 PM
my forehand.

brucie
07-12-2006, 03:50 AM
my 2hbh used tol fly long too flat, why then i used 59 now 4mths later on real low tension i play 54 currently fine for polys may drop as low as 50 and fancy trying like 48!

ch4ng
07-12-2006, 09:05 AM
my slice backhand doesnt stay low enough and my forehand has a little too much air and becomes unconsistant

LoneGun
07-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the replies and votes guys:) Interesting.... seems like according to the trend here, any shot that involves spins are compromised the most from tension drop, that include slices, heavy top spin, and kick slice serves. Anyone care to explain the reason behind this?

LoneGun
07-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Sorry for the repeat.

fishuuuuu
07-12-2006, 01:22 PM
It's mental. The relative string tension "drop" doesn't affect the way the body/racquet/ball contact imparts spin.

LoneGun
07-12-2006, 01:49 PM
It's mental. The relative string tension "drop" doesn't affect the way the body/racquet/ball contact imparts spin.

So you are saying that if you string a racket at low tension compared to a racket that was strung at high tension, they will have the same spin potential?

chiru
07-12-2006, 06:06 PM
i say volleys for sure. anytime my racket's are strung too loosely i can't control touch and feel adn that more than anything affects volleys. i think on serves and groundies if you're using a full poly setup you get enough control becasue of the nature of the poly to keep it in even at a lower tensino, but since polys dont have much feel to begin with tthat makes it impossible to rely on touch volleys.

bsandy
07-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Approach Shots

LoneGun
07-12-2006, 09:07 PM
i say volleys for sure. anytime my racket's are strung too loosely i can't control touch and feel adn that more than anything affects volleys. i think on serves and groundies if you're using a full poly setup you get enough control becasue of the nature of the poly to keep it in even at a lower tensino, but since polys dont have much feel to begin with tthat makes it impossible to rely on touch volleys.

I see, how much down spin do you usually put on your volleys?

snoflewis
07-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Approach Shots

i'd have to agree...it's hard to hook that topspin while trying to keep the ball low when the tension drops drastically. however, this hasnt happened to me in a while since i now use a full synthetic gut job and tension drop is somewhat minimal

fishuuuuu
07-12-2006, 09:20 PM
So you are saying that if you string a racket at low tension compared to a racket that was strung at high tension, they will have the same spin potential?

Precisely. Search threads regarding spin production and scientific analysis.

LoneGun
07-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Precisely. Search threads regarding spin production and scientific analysis.

Actually I did read articles suggesting strings strung at different tension has very little difference in spin production, but we are dealing with not only tension loss here, also loss in elasticity causing the strings to be "dead". Do you think a dead string would produce the same amount of spin as a livier string?

monologuist
07-12-2006, 10:14 PM
don't believe everything you read. There is no consensus on the relationship between string tension and spin as of now. There have only been a handful of scientific studies done on the subject....in the world of science, there are scores and scores of different studies done on a topic from every angle imagineable before a consensus within the scientific community begins to take shape.

In my mind (from my experience), there is little doubt that lower tensions give more spin, all things being equal....however, tighter tensions encourage faster swing speeds, which lead to more spin...so in the end, it about evens out.

TennsDog
07-13-2006, 06:46 AM
I said groundstrokes, but it's pretty much my forehand by far. My backhand has more feel and control anyway. Volleys have a wide margin for where to hit. My returns suck no matter what. And my serves just don't seem to be affected that much for some reason.

fastdunn
07-13-2006, 10:51 AM
It affects "most" might be ground strokes because I hit them
a lot. But I can adjust easily. But the most critical influence
would be on volleys. It's not easy to adjust for volley.

palikero
07-13-2006, 11:16 AM
My forehand is affected most...
Whenever my forehands continously land 2+ meters long, I know it's about time to restring.
My volleys also lose alot of touch and feel with loss of tension, but mainly its my forehand.

LoneGun
07-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming :D

One question for those of you who don't find their serves to be compromised by tension loss, how much spins do you put on your second serve?

fastdunn
07-14-2006, 12:40 AM
don't believe everything you read. There is no consensus on the relationship between string tension and spin as of now. There have only been a handful of scientific studies done on the subject....in the world of science, there are scores and scores of different studies done on a topic from every angle imagineable before a consensus within the scientific community begins to take shape.

In my mind (from my experience), there is little doubt that lower tensions give more spin, all things being equal....however, tighter tensions encourage faster swing speeds, which lead to more spin...so in the end, it about evens out.

good point. assuming same swing speed, I think lower tension
gives more tension. tighter tension might produce higher
spin/pace ratio but not actuall rpm