PDA

View Full Version : McEnroe on Gilbert...

Wondertoy
07-12-2006, 06:57 AM
From John Feinstein's book, Hard Courts, on missing Davis Cup when he was injured in 1990. "The guys playing now are doing it for the money and because it's good publicity. I know that. They can talk until they're blue in the face and I'll know that's the truth about them. Brad Gilbert doesn't do anything unless it's for money. I know it, he knows it, everyone knows it."

ATXtennisaddict
07-12-2006, 07:05 AM
Yea they weren't pals.

pound cat
07-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Is Patrick MacEnroe the DC Captain for the publicity and the money too???

Rabbit
07-12-2006, 08:07 AM
It ain't chicken change.

armand
07-12-2006, 08:33 AM
Not everyone was blessed with the talent of McEnroe so guys like Gilbert had to do everything they could to maximize their career because they weren't exactly 'set up for life'.
Also, I did not observe McEnroe donating any of his winner's cheques to charity.

Rabbit
07-12-2006, 08:35 AM
I agree, it's also easy for McEnroe, reportedly one of the richest players if not the richest ever, to browbeat Gilbert for less than noble intent.

Hal
07-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Not everyone was blessed with the talent of McEnroe so guys like Gilbert had to do everything they could to maximize their career because they weren't exactly 'set up for life'.
Also, I did not observe McEnroe donating any of his winner's cheques to charity.
Actually, I think that McEnroe does donate a lot of money (and time) to charity. Of course, he has a lot to donate.

The Pusher Terminator
07-12-2006, 08:53 AM
From John Feinstein's book, Hard Courts, on missing Davis Cup when he was injured in 1990. "The guys playing now are doing it for the money and because it's good publicity. I know that. They can talk until they're blue in the face and I'll know that's the truth about them. Brad Gilbert doesn't do anything unless it's for money. I know it, he knows it, everyone knows it."

Gilbert finally caused Mcenroe to go off the deep end and retire. Gilbert beat Mcenroe and after the match John stated something like

"I have more talent in my pinky than Gilbert has in his whole body. When I start losing to guys like that then its time for me to retire."

In winning ugly Gilbert countered with something like:

"If Mcenroe thought he was hurting my feelings then he was very wrong.....It was actually music to my ears"

I would pay good money to see these lovebirds do a sportscast together.... now that would be awesome!!!!

Hal
07-12-2006, 09:07 AM
McEnroe does mention that people are playing for money quite a bit, which makes me wonder if he's really the guy that's doing things for "the money". I'm a big McEnroe fan, but he should just leave the money stuff alone.

I remember during a broadcast last year (at the US Open, I think) where he told someone (a guest in the booth) that he'd give a $100K to some charity that the guest was pushing. He then tried to goad Ted Robbinson (sp?) into doing the same. I didn't think that it was fair of him to do that to Ted. The goading went on for a few minutes, too.

tarheels2323
07-12-2006, 09:15 AM
McEnroe does mention that people are playing for money quite a bit, which makes me wonder if he's really the guy that's doing things for "the money". I'm a big McEnroe fan, but he should just leave the money stuff alone.

I remember during a broadcast last year (at the US Open, I think) where he told someone (a guest in the booth) that he'd give a $100K to some charity that the guest was pushing. He then tried to goad Ted Robbinson (sp?) into doing the same. I didn't think that it was fair of him to do that to Ted. The goading went on for a few minutes, too.

Well why shouldn't he try to get other rich people to donate to charity? McEnroe was a good enough guy to pony up and give away $100,000, so I think he at least deserves understanding when asking for other people to do the same. He's definitely not being hypotcritical about it.

Hal
07-12-2006, 09:22 AM
I have no problem if he wants to talk to Ted about it OFF the air, but to goad someone on the air about a private matter (which personal money is, IMO) is a bit classless. BTW, Ted did say he'd donate money, but McEnroe kept on him about the amount. Ted was clearly uncomfortable with the discussion. I assume Ted makes a decent amount of money, but I have no idea how "rich" he is? Before Ted became a national broadcaster, he did the local Minnesota Twins radio/TV broadcasts. I'm sure he wasn't making big dollars doing that.

luishcorreia
07-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Checkout the all time prizemoney list.

Mac is only 15th.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/en/media/rankings/Career_Prize.pdf

The guy won 77 singles tournaments, was one of the best players in the world and there are guys behind him like Safin who are still relatively young...

1 Sampras, Pete $43,280
2 Agassi, Andre $31,091,650
3 Becker, Boris $25,080,956
4 Federer, Roger $24,731,458
5 Kafelnikov, Yevgeny $23,883
6 Lendl, Ivan $21,262,417
7 Edberg, Stefan $20,630,941
8 Ivanisevic, Goran $19,876,579
9 Chang, Michael $19,145,632
10 Hewitt, Lleyton $16,434,152
11 Kuerten, Gustavo $14,705,818
12 Courier, Jim $14,034,132
13 Bjorkman, Jonas $12,946,759
14 Stich, Michael $12,592,483
15 McEnroe, John $12,547,797
16 Safin, Marat $12,397,503
17 Muster, Thomas $12,225,910
18 Moya, Carlos $11,854,299
19 Bruguera, Sergi $11,632,199
20 Henman, Tim $11,299,902

Hal
07-12-2006, 09:31 AM

Mac is only 15th.

A list like that is very misleading. Of course the younger players are going be higher on the list. The tournaments pay out a LOT more prize money now (I think close to about 10 times as much at the GSs) than they did in the 80s. Anyway, a good tennis player (or any popular athelete) will make more from endorsements, than they do playing tennis. McEnroe has made his fair share with endorsements.

Viper
07-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Which Mac are we talking about <_<

katastrof
07-12-2006, 10:00 AM
If he DID say that, doesn't he sound like a wiped-out rock star? Dave Mustaine sounds more mature than that when he talks about Metallica :)

emcee
07-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Mac's right though. BG could NEVER stop talking about money in his book...I never got how he could remember how much prize money such-and-such tourney gave out 20 years ago!

But Mac is the biggest hyprocite in the world and just a despicable person in general. For example, he can never talk about anyone not being a good sport because he used to hold up matches for 10+ minutes whenever he felt like it and he never once admitted in his book that he lost to someone because his opponent was better that day. He says that he had an out-of-body experience against Lendl (yeah right) and that he couldn't beat Connors in his first Wimby because he wasn't "ready yet" in his mind. Okayyyy...

Moose Malloy
07-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Actually Gilbert was very frank about how he was in it for the money. You should read some of his press conferences transcripts(asapsports.com).

Whenever he did well in a tournament, he would say how glad he was to make x amount of money(the guy could recite the exact prize money breakdown of every event he was playing, per round)

When he made his (only) GS QF at W in 1990, he was asked how it felt to finally make this breakthrough, he said "its great to make 48,700 grand, I'm looking forward to making the semis, so I can make 83,200 grand this event."
Very strange guy.

And we see how obsessed he is with $, with this whole Murray thing. Murray can't afford his salary so the LTA is chipping in. The only reason he went with Roddick a few years ago is that Roddick could afford his salary. He would never have considered Dent, Ginepri, Fish, because they can't afford him.

Most players enjoyed representing their country for the honor(like McEnroe). Mac was just saying what everyone thought, that Gilbert was more happy about the $ for playing Davis Cup than the honor.

ironchef21
07-12-2006, 10:16 AM

I remember seeing that. It was for Hurricane Katrina relief efforts. The way I took it is that McEnroe was kidding with Robinson but with his dry delivery it could have come across differently.

Hal
07-12-2006, 11:11 AM
I remember seeing that. It was for Hurricane Katrina relief efforts. The way I took it is that McEnroe was kidding with Robinson but with his dry delivery it could have come across differently. I took it that way at first, too. But the more he kept on Ted about it, the less funny it got. At the end, I'm not sure Ted was enjoying McEnroe's humor. Like I said, I'm a big McEnroe fan, I just felt uncomfortable for Ted at that time. Oh well, I'm sure Ted got over it. :)

spirit
07-12-2006, 11:25 AM
A list like that is very misleading. Of course the younger players are going be higher on the list. The tournaments pay out a LOT more prize money now (I think close to about 10 times as much at the GSs) than they did in the 80s. Anyway, a good tennis player (or any popular athelete) will make more from endorsements, than they do playing tennis. McEnroe has made his fair share with endorsements.

It's not only endorsement money that swamps tournament prize money for player/celebs like Mac, but its also the guaranteed appearance fees paid to player/celebs like him. Money paid just for showing up on the court at a tournament - win or lose. From what I have read, just about all the tournaments below the grand slams and perhaps the master's series events (and maybe even these provide guarantees to the really big names like an Agassi) provide guarantee appearance fees to the top name players. These fees are usually larger than the prize money itself.

newnuse
07-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Ironchef....love that show, the JPN version. Ironchef Japanese with his intense stare is my favorite.

Mac was always a huge Davis Cup guy. This was pretty rare even during his playing days. Now it's a joke.

I'm sure for a great player like Mac, who put so much into the Davis Cup, playing for country, it must kills him to see guys not give a hoot about the cup.

Moose Malloy
07-12-2006, 01:50 PM
I think close to about 10 times as much at the GSs) than they did in the 80s.

That's pretty close:

1985 Australian Open Champ-100,000
1985 French-146,250
1985 Wimbledon-163,799
1985 US Open-187,500

2005 US Open Champ-1,100,000
2006 AO Champ-922,560
2006 French-1,196,700
2006 Wimbledon-1,190,725

Mac is only 15th.

I'd like to see that adjusted for inflation. Lendl & Mac would probably be top 2/3.

sureshs
07-12-2006, 01:52 PM
But Mac is the biggest hyprocite in the world and just a despicable person in general.

Exactly. Just because he played Davis Cup does not make him a better person. He is all about ego, gamesmanship, putting down others, and money. Much worse than any player today.

Volly master
07-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Mac also knew that representing your country is one of the best honors ever and he realized that.

In his eyes, guys were only doing it for a little payday instead of fighting for your country no matter what the cause.

travlerajm
07-12-2006, 02:26 PM

He paid for that nice covered bleachers section overlooking the showcourt at the Stanford tennis courts. That cost a nice hunk of change, and he didn't even graduate.

arnz
07-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Mac always speaks his mind, when sometimes he should shut the hell up.

I did not find any humor at all in the Ted Robinson thing. As someone said, donating money should be a private matter, and it should be done at one's discretion. It left a bad taste in my mouth when I saw that. Ted probably spoke to him afterwards about it (hopefully)

And Mac saying he would drop his pants and walk around in his underwear if Michael Chang got past the 2nd round (or something like that) of Wimbledon, is another classless statement. He didnt have to put it like that.

Oh well

Captain America
07-12-2006, 06:43 PM
I think you could spend a lot of time discussing the flaws of both Mac and Gilbert, but the truth is that tennis is MUCH better off having them both around doing their respective schtiks.

It does seem like Gilbert has done a masterful job of getting under Mac's skin over the years though...

slice bh compliment
07-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Actually Gilbert was very frank about how he was in it for the money. You should read some of his press conferences transcripts(asapsports.com).

Whenever he did well in a tournament, he would say how glad he was to make x amount of money(the guy could recite the exact prize money breakdown of every event he was playing, per round)

When he made his (only) GS QF at W in 1990, he was asked how it felt to finally make this breakthrough, he said "its great to make 48,700 grand, I'm looking forward to making the semis, so I can make 83,200 grand this event."
Very strange guy.

And we see how obsessed he is with $, with this whole Murray thing. Murray can't afford his salary so the LTA is chipping in. The only reason he went with Roddick a few years ago is that Roddick could afford his salary. He would never have considered Dent, Ginepri, Fish, because they can't afford him.

Most players enjoyed representing their country for the honor(like McEnroe). Mac was just saying what everyone thought, that Gilbert was more happy about the $ for playing Davis Cup than the honor.

Great post, Moose. Especially that 4th paragraph.

wimble10
07-12-2006, 10:22 PM
"I have more talent in my pinky than Gilbert has in his whole body. ."

I think that is what McEnroe said about Lendl, and I didn't think he said it about Gilbert.

OrangeOne
07-12-2006, 10:53 PM

I know where you're going there, but I have to disagree with the "not setup for life" comment.

According to atptennis.com, Brad won a total career prizemoney of $5,509,060 in a 'career' spanning about 20 years. Most people don't earn 5.5 mill in their lifetime (in fact, most don't earn close to half-that), and he earned it in less than half of a career, so I'm thinking he's setup for life.

And, that prizemoney doesn't include endorsements (ok, so he wouldn't have had agassi-level-ones, but he would still have been able to cover many of his expenses with them), appearance fees (ok, so not many :) - but then again he was top-ten for a while) or demonstration matches (probably some money there too).

Woodstock_Tennis
07-13-2006, 12:07 AM
I think calling McEnroe a despicable person is overboard. I think he actually makes a good point about Gilbert. Mac wasnít afraid to be whom he was while on the court, he spoke his mind, and lives life not caring what others thinks of him. The thing is when it comes to things important; playing for country, philanthropy, and even that Katrina incident Mac always stepped up.

Moments like these define a personís character, what McEnroe said is true, Gilbert obviously cared more about personal monetary success then playing for pride or the love of the game. Iím not saying if this is necessarily a bad thing. I just wish someone would kick Gilbert in the head every time he wears a black suit with a huge red hacker chief in 100+ degree weather.

austro
07-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Gilbert is a moron, through and through. I could make a more differentiated argument but it really comes down to that.

McEnroe can have an assinine attitude at times but at least he has the game to back it up.

The Pusher Terminator
07-13-2006, 08:01 AM
I think that is what McEnroe said about Lendl, and I didn't think he said it about Gilbert.

wanna bet?

Dedans Penthouse
07-13-2006, 09:11 AM
According to Howard Cosell:

There was a group who guaranteed $1,000,000 to Bjorn Borg and $1,000,000 for John Patrick McEnroe to play an exhibition match at Sun City, South Africa. This was when apartheid was still in place. Borg accepted the offer; McEnroe did not, partly out of the result of his own personal convictions about the evil of apartheid and partly out of respect to Arthur Ashe. Further, on the date the match was to take place in South Africa, McEnroe instead headed out west to appear (as a favor to fellow pro Harold Solomon) at a "World Hunger" type charity event that Solomon was hosting out in Colorado. Cosell went on to say that McEnroe cut a personal check for $15,000 and gave it to the charity.

Rabbit
07-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Well I have to chime in as well. McEnroe was here playing an exhibition against a guy here who used to be on the tour. It was a benefit for a non-profit disabled group. McEnroe was paid $50K for the match. One of the crowd purchased one of McEnroe's rackets and McEnroe asked him how much he paid. The guy said that was none of McEnroe's business. McEnroe replied "OK, I was going to double whatever you paid and give it to your charity but that's fine." I think he was serious.

wimble10
07-13-2006, 10:42 AM
wanna bet?

" The biggest mistake McEnroe made was saying that he had more talent in his little pinky than Lendl had in his whole body.

From virtually this point onward, Lendl thrashed the living f..ck out of McEnroe; he played out of his mind. Following these matches, Lendl was asked about his performances ó but he simply shrugged his shoulders, like it was no big deal. He always acted like he had only played mediocre tennis to CRUSH McEnroe. It was beneath him to even acknowledge his great performances.

This was extremely funny to see, actually. He twisted up Jonny Mac, big time. "