PDA

View Full Version : Great James Blake story on ESPN radio

mj01
07-12-2006, 07:31 AM
This morning. Reportedly verified as true.

Mike & Mike (morning show co-hosts) were talking about a contest prize they were offering. I didn't catch all the details, but the prize includes a chance to meet Blake. Mike Greenberg apparently lives very close to where Blake played growing up, and, as he plays tennis himself, has met some people who knew Blake when he was a teenager.

So the story he got from them went like this: Blake, unlike (I would guess) 99% of tennis pros, actually played for his High School. He was a nationally ranked junior at the time, so he far outclassed the vast majority of his competition, and would generally take it easy on them. However, at some point Blake was scheduled to play on the same day of his prom. He was on his way to the match when he realized he had forgotten to rent a tux. So he really needed to get off the court as quickly as possible to run that errand. He walked up to shake his opponent's hand before the match, and said "I apologize for what I'm about to do to you".

Then he beat the guy 6-0, 6-0.

In 13 minutes. :mrgreen:

thehustler
07-12-2006, 07:44 AM
I read this story on another site. Blake said that he didn't apologize at the beginning of the match, but at the end. He won the first set in 11 min and the 2nd in 14.

str33t
07-12-2006, 07:49 AM
that is sweet.

mj01
07-12-2006, 08:04 AM
I read this story on another site. Blake said that he didn't apologize at the beginning of the match, but at the end. He won the first set in 11 min and the 2nd in 14.

That actually sounds more legit (it sounded a little implausible as they presented it, which is why I added the "Reportedly verified"). Not quite as funny, but still pretty humorous. And impressive.

I wonder how many points the guy he was playing won? And how many points actually lasted more than one shot? (or two, when the opponent was serving).

norcal
07-12-2006, 08:41 AM
If the kid would stall like Nadal then he could have stretched it to an hour.

baseliner
07-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Now if the victim is a poster on this board give us your side of the story....

Viper
I actually lol'd at a Blake story!

quest01
I would last longer then that against Blake. I also wouldnt of got bageled twice. Thats pretty bad if you got beat in two sets in under 30 minutes.

helloworld
07-12-2006, 09:04 AM
I would last longer then that against Blake. I also wouldnt of got bageled twice. Thats pretty bad if you got beat in two sets in under 30 minutes.
If you don't get bageled by James Blake, you're probably playing at a professional level of tennis.

snoflewis
07-12-2006, 09:14 AM
awesome story...not to mention, James Blake also played for Harvard, which sets him apart from a lot of the top pros as well.

ironchef21
07-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Here's the story

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_wertheim/07/05/mb/index.html

looseswing
07-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Wow that's crazy funny!

ATXtennisaddict
07-12-2006, 01:02 PM
that was a funny story :D

Volly master
07-12-2006, 01:17 PM
thats kick butt

glad to see someone from connecticut has done well in tennis ;)

callitout
07-12-2006, 01:30 PM

You'd probably take him easily after one close set. Is your name Federer?

BeautyVenus
07-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Why is America investing so much hype on this guy? He's proven nothing at all. He's 0-9 in five set matches. Blake is about as good as Robredo and Davykdenko. Blake is a player that got a high ranking but isn't a real contender. I think Ancic and Marcos will become champions and I doubt he will.

superman1
07-12-2006, 05:22 PM
He isn't a real contender? How ridiculous is that. Technically, no one is a real contender except for Federer and Nadal. Blake is one of the few guys who could step it up and beat those two guys. And obviously he has a much, much better chance of beating Nadal than Federer.

Wondertoy
07-12-2006, 08:37 PM
James Blake played in my Fairfield County HS Association. There are alot of nationally ranked players playing in position #1 in this league and some in position #2. This year ,my team, Greenwich HS won the CT state championship and broke all records with 31 wins in the state tournament.

zorg
07-12-2006, 08:49 PM
James Blake played in my Fairfield County HS Association. There are alot of nationally ranked players playing in position #1 in this league and some in position #2. This year ,my team, Greenwich HS won the CT state championship and broke all records with 31 wins in the state tournament.
I wonder if Blake will pay a visit to you guys. BTW, Amity will get you next year...

Dilettante
07-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Nice story, I liked it.

Blake for what I've read seems to be an interesting individual.

KBalla08
07-12-2006, 11:04 PM
holy **** that is funny

EclipseRydr97
07-12-2006, 11:46 PM

If the number 83 player in the world couldn't get a game of Blake, there's no way in hell you would...

Gugafan_Redux
07-13-2006, 06:20 AM
Why is America investing so much hype on this guy? He's proven nothing at all.

Winning record against the world No. 2 (Nadal, who won, what?, 11 titles last year). Semi run at the Open. Takes Agassi to 5 at the Open. Yeah, proven nothing.

It was hype 4 years ago. When you're inside the top ten, it's no longer hype.

chiru
07-13-2006, 07:14 AM
i played no.1 for my high school, if only i had been around to play blake, that would be the defeat of a lifetime. i would be bragging about how i kept him on court for so long.

Tchocky
07-13-2006, 10:05 AM
This morning. Reportedly verified as true.

Mike & Mike (morning show co-hosts) were talking about a contest prize they were offering. I didn't catch all the details, but the prize includes a chance to meet Blake. Mike Greenberg apparently lives very close to where Blake played growing up, and, as he plays tennis himself, has met some people who knew Blake when he was a teenager.

So the story he got from them went like this: Blake, unlike (I would guess) 99% of tennis pros, actually played for his High School. He was a nationally ranked junior at the time, so he far outclassed the vast majority of his competition, and would generally take it easy on them. However, at some point Blake was scheduled to play on the same day of his prom. He was on his way to the match when he realized he had forgotten to rent a tux. So he really needed to get off the court as quickly as possible to run that errand. He walked up to shake his opponent's hand before the match, and said "I apologize for what I'm about to do to you".

Then he beat the guy 6-0, 6-0.

In 13 minutes. :mrgreen:

That's bullshiit! You can't play 2 sets in 13 minutes.

Wondertoy
07-13-2006, 11:04 AM
I wonder if Blake will pay a visit to you guys. BTW, Amity will get you next year...

No way, actually Greenwich came in first with 30 points, Amity a distant second with 20 points. Also the entire 5 singles players will return next year. The #1 and #2 position players are #2 and #3 in the state. I have a friend who will be going to Fairfield Univ next year. He hears that Blake drops by to hit with the team every once in awhile. Blake's a great guy, I know his mom as she use to work at the tennis club I used to hit at with Brian Barker. Wilander use to hit with Blake once in awhile when Blake was a top junior.

ACE of Hearts
07-13-2006, 11:09 AM
I wonder what was James's record back then in 5 set matches?:rolleyes:

theace21
07-13-2006, 11:30 AM
If the kid would stall like Nadal then he could have stretched it to an hour.
Well said....

DFWLoop
07-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Great story. He is one of my favorite players to watch.

ta11geese3
07-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Beautyvenus obviously doesn't like america or james blake much. This topic had nothing to do with his current ranking, success, or bad 5 setter record, yet he brings it up out of no where.