PDA

View Full Version : tennis magazine

polakosaur
03-04-2004, 10:25 AM
a horrible issue just 15-20 racquet reviews, absolulety gastly

lendl lives
03-04-2004, 01:59 PM
I remember when I was playing regularly 6 years ago one could find tennis magazine everywhere. That's hardly the case today. By the way has golf always been more popular than tennis?

FaSteStSeRvE1613
03-04-2004, 03:00 PM
when did u guys get yours? i still havent got mine

polakosaur
03-04-2004, 06:59 PM
just got it yesterday, mine was late compared to alot of people

TennisGrrl
03-05-2004, 01:40 PM
although this might be slightly off topic, i thought it was a good enough deal to tell about. a person on **** -- "blueskymagazines" i think is his/her name -- sells tennis magazine subscriptions for $10.99 for 2 years. no hidden costs. just fyi.

david aames
03-06-2004, 09:00 PM
I like what the ATP is doing with Deuce. They have a strong editorial vision - pictures pictures pictures.

Tennis mag is lacking that trying to be a crowd pleaser. This thing is just a disguised ad for the Chris Evert and the Bollitieri camps... Their constant coverage of WTA is annoying and their design is just plain dusty. BTW whatever happened to the idea of having Sampras on board? Too expensive?

TennisGrrl
03-08-2004, 09:05 AM
There is a lot I don't like about tennis magazine. The content is usually froo-froo and lacking much substance. However, one thing I actually do look forward to is whatever coverage they have on the WTA. Women's sports, in general, get very poor media coverage and I find your comment on "...Their constant coverage of WTA is annoying..." a bit insensitive. TM is in dire need of fresh ideas on content and format, but I am quite grateful and appreciative of whatever space/time they give to women's tennis. Sampras certainly could breathe some life back into it if he is indeed coming on board.

Tim Tennis
03-08-2004, 10:34 AM
This forced me to look at my tennis mag. I thought it was OK. I enjoyed the Go Western article by Brenda Schultz-Mc Carthy even though I am a firm believer in the Semi-Western grip. I think a lot of what she said could also apply to the SW. When Brenda showed the Western grip on page 62 East meets West, it looked more like a SW grip. It did not look like the knuckle on the base of the index finger had moved completely underneath the handle on bevel 5, probably just the photo.
I did find it strange that I did not see a single Babolat Racquet reviewed or a single ad for them in the mag. Oops, it looks like Tennis Warehouse plugged them. Maybe they did not need to come out with a new racquet.

david aames
03-08-2004, 11:27 AM
I find your comment on "...Their constant coverage of WTA is annoying..." a bit insensitive.

Sorry if I sounded insensitive but look how many posts here in the pro player section concern the women's game (I'm not talking about the 'Ashley looks hot in her new nike outfit' but posts about competitive aspects of the game) and you will have a good idea of what space should be dedicated to WTA in Tennis Mag.

JB
03-09-2004, 08:15 PM
In the racquet review, they didn't list the Volkl V-Engine, instead they focsued on the Catapult. I thought they should have included the new Volkl "player's racquet".
It may not be a great mag but it's the best thing out there currently....

Bhagi Katbamna
03-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Golf is more popular than tennis because people in the US are getting older. Not only that, the baby-boomer generation controls more wealth in the US than any other group.

TennisGrrl
03-11-2004, 12:24 PM
I find your comment on "...Their constant coverage of WTA is annoying..." a bit insensitive.

Sorry if I sounded insensitive but look how many posts here in the pro player section concern the women's game (I'm not talking about the 'Ashley looks hot in her new nike outfit' but posts about competitive aspects of the game) and you will have a good idea of what space should be dedicated to WTA in Tennis Mag.

You're assuming that the most popular topics of interest on the TW message boards somehow extend to the entire tennis or Tennis Magazine reading community. I don't really see the correlation there. Not to mention, internet message board/chat users are disproportionately men, who likely are more interested in men's tennis. I hope TM continues to offer a good amount of WTA coverage.

david aames
03-11-2004, 09:00 PM
You're assuming that the most popular topics of interest on the TW message boards somehow extend to the entire tennis or Tennis Magazine reading community. I don't really see the correlation there. Not to mention, internet message board/chat users are disproportionately men, who likely are more interested in men's tennis. I hope TM continues to offer a good amount of WTA coverage.

OK. Let's compare the attendance of the WTA Porsche sponsored event last november in LA to the Tennis Master's in Houston a week later then...

I'm sure you went religiously to the Staples Center every day being from Pasadena right? :)

rommil
03-11-2004, 09:18 PM
TENNIS has Roddick everywhere in that mag. If you are looking for indept reviews for rackets, stick with TW. I never trusted TENNIS' reviews.

TennisGrrl
03-12-2004, 09:38 AM

OK. Let's compare the attendance of the WTA Porsche sponsored event last november in LA to the Tennis Master's in Houston a week later then...

I'm sure you went religiously to the Staples Center every day being from Pasadena right? :)

Haha, you have me pegged there, don't you :) Ok, well, I did miss -one- day. Clearly, I'm not going to win any debate where I'm arguing that women's tennis is more popular than men's tennis. I know it isn't. I guess maybe what I'm saying is that with more coverage, more media attention, interest in it could potentially grow. The WTA is still gaining fans (and a financial base), but when there is a lack of publicity or media support, then it's tough for that interest to be cultivated. Maybe it isn't TM's job to do that, but I appreciate their contribution to its promotion. And don't get me wrong, I don't think it should be at the detriment of other content. There's no reason TM shouldn't be able to do a fabulous job covering both tours. The point is, that they aren't, and there's the rub. :) Have a great weekend! Val

Phil
03-13-2004, 03:01 AM
I guess maybe what I'm saying is that with more coverage, more media attention, interest in it could potentially grow.

The WTA's and the WTA players' solution for generating more coverage is: shorter skirts.

Sad but true.

Steve Huff
03-13-2004, 05:16 PM
I thought I'd read that the WTA drew more fans than the ATP the last few years. You two are picking out one event on each tour. There are too many other variables that could have been involved to make a comparison in just one event each.