PDA

View Full Version : nadals over the soulder lift up

kytennis
07-12-2006, 12:50 PM
today someone told me why nadal wips his racket over his left arm on his forehead instead of bringing it around. they said that the coaching in his home country wasnt very good and when he first started thats what he did and has stuck with it. everyone when their on the run wips up on a forehand like that but he does it more often than any pro. same with sharapova though

ATXtennisaddict
07-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Isn't that motion to generate lotsa topspin?

DX_Psycho
07-12-2006, 01:21 PM
that's called a reverse forehand. sharapova does it a lot more than Nadal. some others that i see do it pretty often are pete sampras and lindsay davenport.

i think it DOES generate more spin.

Frenchie
07-12-2006, 01:49 PM
sharapova does it a lot more than Nadal.

Nadal finishes over his head EXCLUSIVELY, sharapova doesn't.

tlm
07-12-2006, 02:38 PM
I dont think he finishes over his head all the time,it looks like he uses a windshield wiper motion quite often.

Say Chi Sin Lo
07-12-2006, 04:32 PM
It does generate a LOT more topspin, i use it every once in a while. But then again, it's like hitting a kick serve, image the load on the shoulder when you whip it 10-20times in a rally. I dont care how fit/buff one is, the rotator cuff can only take so much, then there is the actual serve that players need.

bdawg
07-12-2006, 06:57 PM
It does generate a LOT more topspin, i use it every once in a while. But then again, it's like hitting a kick serve, image the load on the shoulder when you whip it 10-20times in a rally. I dont care how fit/buff one is, the rotator cuff can only take so much, then there is the actual serve that players need.

that's why many people predict nadal's career will be overcome by injuries. Let's hope this isn't the case to allow the rivalvry to blossom.

Say Chi Sin Lo
07-12-2006, 08:58 PM
but we've already seen him pull out because of shoulder injuries, some of the best kickers out there (rafter and goran) didnt sustain rotator cuff injuries until late in their careers, Nadal's is really young, at least he'll heal better after an injury.

HollerOne5
07-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Nadal finishes over his head EXCLUSIVELY, sharapova doesn't.

Well this is not true....I'd actually say Sharapova does it more than Nadal. On all down the line and inside out forehands, Nadal does not do this shot....it is only his forehand crosscourt. Sharapova does it about 9 out of 10 forehands, and yes, I kept track on a few of her recent matches.

Bogie
07-12-2006, 09:46 PM
robert landsdorp coachs his students exclusively with that forehand. nadal can just generate so much spin, power, and torque with that finish that toni nadal just said lets just use that from now on, in a way. idk about sharapova's latest matches, but frenchie is right. nadal uses that forehand for every shot, down the line, crosscourt, etc. he only finishes across when its a slower ball and when he has time to set up and rip it. sharapova finishes over far more than nadal.

HollerOne5
07-12-2006, 09:51 PM
robert landsdorp coachs his students exclusively with that forehand. nadal can just generate so much spin, power, and torque with that finish that toni nadal just said lets just use that from now on, in a way. idk about sharapova's latest matches, but frenchie is right. nadal uses that forehand for every shot, down the line, crosscourt, etc. he only finishes across when its a slower ball and when he has time to set up and rip it. sharapova finishes over far more than nadal.

No, No and more No

For one thing, Sharapova's is much worse than Nadal's, Sampras's, or Davenport's for many reasons, but the biggest is their body position. Sharapova constantly hits her UGLY forehand on her back foot, leaning backwords. I'm actually suprised she generates as much power as she does. The others at least put their body weight into the shot when they hit it so it isn't ALL shoulder and arm, and also puts some of the pressure on their body. This is why, I believe, Sharapova missed so many tourneys last year from her "pectoral strain."

Jack Romeo
07-13-2006, 02:45 AM
didn't steffi graf finish over the head too? i believe her forehand is one of the most effective weapons in the history of tennis. but she was certainly very unique with her stroke mechanics. she seemed to prepare very late but would suddenly catch up to the ball around her hip. she combined this ultra-fast racket swing with a perfectly-timed jump that put all of her body weight into the shot. it was definitely a one-of-a-kind shot.

sampras and davenport have similar techniques on the forehand. i would also add myskina to that list. they have earlier preparation than graf and don't necessarily jump into the shot all the time.

nadal and sharapova have some similarities on the forehand, but maria doesn't seem to have good balance when she finishes the shot.

obviously, nadal has a much more western grip than any of the aforementioned players. he also has the most arm and upper body strength, so i guess that has something to do with how he executes this kind of technique.