PDA

View Full Version : Natural gut hybrid

James47
07-12-2006, 02:04 PM
I play with a Babolat PCZ360. I am a 4.5 all-courter. In the past I haven't giving a lot of time to string choice. For about a year now, I have played with Gamma Professional at 59 lbs and have not tried anything new just so I wouldn't have to deal with it. I have always loved natural gut strings but didn't want to cough up the dough for a full set. Since stumbling onto this board, I see that gut hybids are somewhat popular. Any advice as to what I could use with natural gut for a hybrid? I see that several people recommend x-cell, but when I have used x-cell by itself, it seemed a bit too spongy for me. What could I use that would play close to full gut but would add some additonal durability at a lower cost? Sorry, that sounds like I want it all...what combo would play closest to gut? And do most people string with gut as the crosses? Does stringing with gut as the mains offer any better durability than full gut? Sorry for the dissertation.

Thanks, James.

psp2
07-12-2006, 03:15 PM
i do gut in the main and Gosen SM 17 in the crosses. i really like that combo.

i strung up my Pure Storm with VS 16g M @ 57# with TF NRG 17g X at 62# today. can't wait to compare the 2 different crosses on the PS.

theace21
07-12-2006, 03:23 PM
I use BDE Preformance gut in the mains, Gosen Sheep Micro 17 in the crosses. I really like it...Good Luck

MTChong
07-12-2006, 03:27 PM
I also do what the above posters do: I use Gosen Micro crosses - multis break too fast.

James47
07-13-2006, 12:54 PM
So does that give you more durability than gut alone or just a lower cost? What about tension? Do you string both mains and crosses the same?

MTChong
07-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Lower cost, durability seems the same... I string crosses the same or a bit higher as they'll lose more tension.