PDA

View Full Version : String/Tension for a Ti-80

stevewcosta
07-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Please provide recommendations. Anything play particularly well in this rac. (other than 100% gut job)? Thanks.

armand
07-12-2006, 02:48 PM
I used the racquet for about a year. Weighted it up a bit and strung NXT at 67lbs. Too powerful, gonna try SPPP at 63lbs next time(if the strings somehow break by themselves sitting in the closet). Still a great racquet, but just too powerful for me.

I think monologuist, the resident ti80 expert, would discourage the use of anything but soft strings in the frame.

stevewcosta
07-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks Adely. I owned a couple old pj Ti-80s for a while and wish I hadn't sold them.

monologuist
07-12-2006, 09:25 PM
actually..I wouldn't recommend just any soft string..I did not like multifilaments in this frame at all, even soft ones. I also didn't like 100% gut.Gut mains with a synthetic cross(Gosen OG Super Micro or Laserfiber Synthetic Gut) was the optimal setup for me....this type of setup actually feels crisper than a soft multi or all-gut...the soft multis felt too mushy in it....I like Klip Armour Pro Gut as a main as well...great durability and feels almost like a cross between a soft poly and a gut! I could see an ALU/Gut hybrid being OK too if you string the ALU very low.

monologuist
07-12-2006, 09:27 PM
I used the racquet for about a year. Weighted it up a bit and strung NXT at 67lbs. Too powerful, gonna try SPPP at 63lbs next time(if the strings somehow break by themselves sitting in the closet). Still a great racquet, but just too powerful for me.

I think monologuist, the resident ti80 expert, would discourage the use of anything but soft strings in the frame.

I still can't believe the Ti-80 was too powerful for you at 67 lbs! Do you hit the ball laser-beam flat or something? I don't think even guys like Ancic and Srichapan string that high....

SPPP does great job of dampening power....I love it with gut crosses.

armand
07-12-2006, 09:34 PM
I still can't believe the Ti-80 was too powerful for you at 67 lbs! Do you hit the ball laser-beam flat or something? I don't think even guys like Ancic and Srichapan string that high....

SPPP does great job of dampening power....I love it with gut crosses.I failed to mention something about my game: I stand on top of the baseline and rarely go even 1 meter behind it. I like to take shots early so this shortens the court significantly and makes many racquets too powerful for me.

Sorry about not mentioning this sooner.

monologuist
07-12-2006, 09:52 PM
I failed to mention something about my game: I stand on top of the baseline and rarely go even 1 meter behind it. I like to take shots early so this shortens the court significantly and makes many racquets too powerful for me.

Sorry about not mentioning this sooner.
oh I see...still, you must crush the ball or hit with very little topspin....do you get arm pains form stringing so tight?...and, did you ever try the TI-70 MP? That one is better for hitting flat and early, b/c of the 18x20 pattern. Otherwise similar to the TI-80 except an extra 0.25" long in the handle.

armand
07-12-2006, 10:29 PM
No, I don't play that flat, I like topspin. And I don't like dense patterns, I like open patterns much more. And although I do hit reasonably hard, I wouldn't describe myself as a power player(though I serve big).

What's your style, monologuist?

monologuist
07-12-2006, 11:49 PM
I spend a lot of time at the baseline these days....usually try to stand not too far back...no more than a couple of feet behind...more and more I've found myself hitting a pretty heavy semi-western to western topspin forehand, flatter 1hhbh, some bh slices....although I used to hit a much flatter forehand, eastern grip; but just started messing with a Pure Drive (the horror!) and have fallen in love with the topspin!....tend to draw a lot of errors and short balls with the heavy spins now, then move forward and attack....have a big flat serve, decent slice serve...very good kicker for my level...serve and volley maybe once per service game...

The Ti-80 and 70 were good racquets for me for while, as I used to play much more of an offensive game, but now I'm playing guys who are better and hit harder, so I'm having more success vs. them with the PD and playing more baseline counterpunching...in other words my game has been in transition as I moved up to playing 4.5's and 5.0's.

stevewcosta
07-13-2006, 05:00 AM
actually..I wouldn't recommend just any soft string..I did not like multifilaments in this frame at all, even soft ones. I also didn't like 100% gut.Gut mains with a synthetic cross(Gosen OG Super Micro or Laserfiber Synthetic Gut) was the optimal setup for me....this type of setup actually feels crisper than a soft multi or all-gut...the soft multis felt too mushy in it....I like Klip Armour Pro Gut as a main as well...great durability and feels almost like a cross between a soft poly and a gut! I could see an ALU/Gut hybrid being OK too if you string the ALU very low.

monologuist:
What about tension? Never played w/a hybrid before but want to try your gut main & Gosen OG cross recommendation. Which gut and what tension? Thanks!!!

07-13-2006, 05:18 AM
I acquired a new Ti80 from TW about 3 weeks ago and had them string it with POSG @ 58.....which is only now, after about 8 hours of court time, broken in enough - it was too boardy intially. But overall POSG is not a good string for this relatively undamped frame, and I suspect most monos aren't if used in a full job. I just replaced it with a TF515 17 / Gosen Micro 16 hybrid @ 57 and it feels great to me.

I may also try a set of RAB Enduro which TW sells - it's a packaged soft poly / syn hybrid which I really like that nobody ever mentions on these boards.

monologuist
07-13-2006, 02:44 PM
monologuist:
What about tension? Never played w/a hybrid before but want to try your gut main & Gosen OG cross recommendation. Which gut and what tension? Thanks!!!

well, depends on your "normal" string, racquet, and tension.

what was your old racquet, string and tension?

I had my Ti-80 strung at around 56 lbs. with BDE Performance mains/Gosen OG Super Micro Crosses. Klip Legend would be fine too as a main. If you prefer a crisper feel, break strings a lot, or are coming from polys, I'd recommend Klip Armour Pro mains. 16 gauge would be a good place to start. I personally prefer 17, although BDE Performance is a very thin 17 (122mm.), almost an 18 really.

armand
07-14-2006, 07:33 AM
I may also try a set of RAB Enduro which TW sells - it's a packaged soft poly / syn hybrid which I really like that nobody ever mentions on these boards.Go on, what's it like? And can you provide the link to its page?

07-14-2006, 10:33 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACALPHA-ARABE16.html

it's good stuff - been around for at least 4-5 years.