PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap! Donald Young Is Playing In An Adult Tourney At My Club!!

Andy Zarzuela
07-12-2006, 06:56 PM
He is playing at an adult tournament at my local club! I CANNOT believe this! That is crazy!

Say Chi Sin Lo
07-12-2006, 06:57 PM
is he advancing?

lacoster
07-12-2006, 06:59 PM
That's exactly where he should be playing....He's not nearly ready to play with the pros.
________
HEAD SHOP (http://headshop.net/)

iceman5151
07-12-2006, 07:13 PM
lol, good maybe some small victories will boost his confidence for some real pro tennis

jackson vile
07-12-2006, 07:39 PM
This can't be real, I thought he was better than that.

Maybe should take up some college ball

doriancito
07-12-2006, 07:41 PM
take pictures!

couch
07-12-2006, 08:38 PM
is he advancing?

No I just beat him 6-2, 6-4.

looseswing
07-12-2006, 08:47 PM
No I just beat him 6-2, 6-4.

Stop lying.

The score was 6-3, 6-4

couch
07-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Stop lying.

The score was 6-3, 6-4

Oh yeah, I forgot about the extra game I gave him so I could keep my 4.0 ranking safe.

Andy Zarzuela
07-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Here's the entrants.

http://southern.tournaments.usta.com/tournaments/tournamenthome/Players.aspx?T=40211&L=E&E=1

Dilettante
07-13-2006, 12:50 AM
That sounds strange.

arnz
07-13-2006, 04:17 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about the extra game I gave him so I could keep my 4.0 ranking safe.

He doesn't have any confidence right now after I bageled him a couple of sets last week:p

a guy
07-13-2006, 04:43 AM
You must play at a pretty good club.

Paloheimo
07-13-2006, 04:52 AM
"Adult tournament"

Sounds interesting...

Marat Safinator
07-13-2006, 04:55 AM
take pictures!

make sure you do!

arnz
07-13-2006, 06:19 AM
"Adult tournament"

Sounds interesting...

You're a sicko:eek:

GRANITECHIEF
07-13-2006, 09:13 AM
No prize money! Come on, even the Santa Barbara Open had prize money ($4K).

http://tournaments.usta.com/tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=43284&E=1

Why the heck would he be playing a tourney that isn't even a Sectional or Regional playoff? Shouldn't he be playing a future or qualifying for a challenger or something?

Maybe he didn't make the cut of the pro level tourney and just wants a little match practice and the tourney is withing bike riding distance, since he failed his drivers ed course and can't take his driving test yet.

If he doesn't win this tourney, then ........?

Jonas
07-13-2006, 09:17 AM
I sure hope he wins the tournament or this board is going to go into meltdown mode.

andfor
07-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Pull out?????

safinlives
07-13-2006, 01:35 PM
haha some kid i beat has to play him first round in dubs...lucky...

Chadwixx
07-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Usually the tournament director will give spots against famous players to sponsers or popular members.

Andy Zarzuela
07-13-2006, 10:13 PM
haha some kid i beat has to play him first round in dubs...lucky...

Who is the kid you beat? I am friends with both of those guys.

Paloheimo
07-14-2006, 01:59 AM
You're a sicko:eek:

Thanks mate

Just kidding. I just thought that it's a bit weird to underline that it's an adult tournament. Why isn't it an open tournament? If it says adult tournament, shouldn't it be forbidden from juniors to sign in for competition?

goober
07-14-2006, 06:51 AM
Are you sure it is not Donald Young's father? His name is Donald as well and he is a former college tennis player- the exact kind of person that would enter a USTA adult open tournament. I can't imagine Donald YOung Jr would gain anything from playing in this tourney.

serveitup911
07-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Jekyll Island is great. I have played there and enjoyed the nice clay courts and the nearby golf course.

Goober, you are probably right. I hope it is his dad.

Rob_C
07-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks mate

Just kidding. I just thought that it's a bit weird to underline that it's an adult tournament. Why isn't it an open tournament? If it says adult tournament, shouldn't it be forbidden from juniors to sign in for competition?

It is an Open tournament, and that's exactly why juniors can compete in it, because it's open to all levels.

croatian sensation
07-14-2006, 10:27 AM
That's exactly where he should be playing....He's not nearly ready to play with the pros.

Unlike Cilic who got to his first QF in Gstaad today :-D

safinlives
07-14-2006, 04:31 PM
"Who is the kid you beat? I am friends with both of those guys."

flanders. got a big western grip

TennisProPaul
07-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Here's the entrants.

http://southern.tournaments.usta.com/tournaments/tournamenthome/Players.aspx?T=40211&L=E&E=1

i wonder how much cash is for the winner?

donald young is only a 500-700 ranked level player IMO so a small cash tourn is where he should be

LN_Dad
07-14-2006, 05:11 PM
He's just looking for a confidence booster. There's nobody in this draw who can take him so he should win easily. Boys ITF draws are a lot tougher than this one.

mctennis
07-14-2006, 08:35 PM
If he is a pro he should not be allowed to play in a "club tournament". IMHO

LN_Dad
07-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Are you sure it is not Donald Young's father? His name is Donald as well and he is a former college tennis player- the exact kind of person that would enter a USTA adult open tournament. I can't imagine Donald YOung Jr would gain anything from playing in this tourney.
I saw his dad on tv and he's not close to being in shape to play in an Open tournament. If it was Sr, his seeding wouldn't be #1.

LN_Dad
07-14-2006, 08:55 PM
If he is a pro he should not be allowed to play in a "club tournament". IMHO
This is an open tournament not a club tournament. Club tournaments are only for members.

goober
07-14-2006, 09:17 PM
I saw his dad on tv and he's not close to being in shape to play in an Open tournament. If it was Sr, his seeding wouldn't be #1.

Well Donald Jr is going to face 4.5-6.0 level players in a small open level tourney. Somebody who is playing ATP events should not play this. I mean seriously he would get more out of playing some local D1 college players.

ACE of Hearts
07-14-2006, 09:20 PM
I am sure the kid is looking for some attention.Hey look at me, i am Donald Young.:rolleyes: Plz, i would put up some cash that this guy will never win a GS in his career.

LN_Dad
07-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Well Donald Jr is going to face 4.5-6.0 level players in a small open level tourney. Somebody who is playing ATP events should not play this. I mean seriously he would get more out of playing some local D1 college players.
He's a kid. He should be allowed to do wacky things and enjoy himself once in a while. I wouldn't mind being blown off the court by him. How often do you get to face the top junior in the world?

atatu
07-14-2006, 09:28 PM
I agree, who cares ? Maybe he's doing a favor for the tournament director or the owner of the club. At any rate, I'm surprised there are so many negative comments about this kid.

goober
07-14-2006, 09:34 PM
He's a kid. He should be allowed to do wacky things and enjoy himself once in a while. I wouldn't mind being blown off the court by him. How often do you get to face the top junior in the world?

I suppose- if you consider bageling club players enjoyable.

Do something wacky as a teenager would be like entering a 3v3 basketball tournament like Scoville Jenkins did (and winning it I might add), starting a band or trying some Xtreme games sport. Beating players that are 3-4 levels below you at a sport you are a pro is not wacky andI can't imagine enjoyable.

Dilettante
07-14-2006, 09:38 PM
I agree, who cares ? Maybe he's doing a favor for the tournament director or the owner of the club. .

I agree too. Although it sounds bit strange to me, we don't know his reasons. He may have good reasons, and he's still very young.

At any rate, I'm surprised there are so many negative comments about this kid

One thing is for sure: hype doesn't help him.

Volly master
07-16-2006, 09:30 AM
doesnt help that he has lost only 4 games to get to the final :P

yeahh..a despirate confidence booster..

Shabazza
07-16-2006, 09:54 AM
He isn't the top junior, but who cares...

LN_Dad
07-16-2006, 10:01 AM
He isn't the top junior, but who cares...
He was last year and would still be this year if he played more junior ITF tourneys instead of ATP and futures.

Shabazza
07-16-2006, 10:08 AM
He was last year and would still be this year if he played more junior ITF tourneys instead of ATP and futures.
Yeah sure, that's why he does so well on the junior's tour and beat everyone. No wait, he doesn't! I mean other juniors do win futures, do well in challengers (in which Young didn't even wants to play) and are even winning on ATP level, but sure he is the best junior, all right!
This hype is, what took him back at least 1-2 years on his way to become a good pro, imo!

KBalla08
07-16-2006, 10:40 AM
maybe hes on vacation or sumthin and wanted some practice...? lol idk but hes in the final tomorrow, and hes breezed through, i bet he'll win

LN_Dad
07-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Yeah sure, that's why he does so well on the junior's tour and beat everyone. No wait, he doesn't! I mean other juniors do win futures, do well in challengers (in which Young didn't even wants to play) and are even winning on ATP level, but sure he is the best junior, all right!
This hype is, what took him back at least 1-2 years on his way to become a good pro, imo!
I never claimed he belongs at the ATP level. You're the one splitting hair over whether he's the number 1 junior or not. I say he is.:p

brucie
07-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Out of interest what level of players play in this tourney?

goober
07-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Out of interest what level of players play in this tourney?

It's a small open tourney not even enough players to fill out a 32 person draw. Around here small open tourneys have 4.5-6.0 level players with most of the players in the 5.0-5.5 range. I am not sure about these specific players though.

Well young got to the finals pretty easily. One person did get 3 games off of him ina set. Looks like he is playing a guy named Eric Burke in the finals. A quick search shows that Eric Burke plays #6 singles on Division 2 Benedict College.

TennisProPaul
07-16-2006, 11:32 AM
It's a small open tourney not even enough players to fill out a 32 person draw. Around here small open tourneys have 4.5-6.0 level players with most of the players in the 5.0-5.5 range. I am not sure about these specific players though.

Well young got to the finals pretty easily. One person did get 3 games off of him ina set. Looks like he is playing a guy named Eric Burke in the finals. A quick search shows that Eric Burke plays #6 singles on Division 2 Benedict College.

semis, as there are 2 halves of the draw, look closer

http://southern.tournaments.usta.com/tournaments/draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=40211&E=1

goober
07-16-2006, 11:42 AM
semis, as there are 2 halves of the draw, look closer

http://southern.tournaments.usta.com/tournaments/draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=40211&E=1

oops looked at it too quick- thanks. It looks like #2 seed Nate Helms plays for Naval Academy.

Shabazza
07-16-2006, 11:43 AM
I never claimed he belongs at the ATP level. You're the one splitting hair over whether he's the number 1 junior or not. I say he is.:p
I say he was. :p

Volly master
07-16-2006, 11:45 AM
lol imagine if D-young gets beaten in the final?

oh how the bashing will continue forever

Shabazza
07-16-2006, 11:52 AM
lol imagine if D-young gets beaten in the final?

oh how the bashing will continue forever
If he somehow manages to lose, he has more to worry about than some bashing on MBs. :-|

lacoster
07-16-2006, 11:57 AM
The depth of this field is amazing. All the final scores throughout the entire draw seem to be 0 and 0, 1 and 0, or 0 and 1.....
________
MARIJUANA PICTURES (http://trichomes.org)

goober
07-16-2006, 12:01 PM
The depth of this field is amazing. All the final scores throughout the entire draw seem to be 0 and 0, 1 and 0, or 0 and 1.....

Actually it doesn't seem that amazing to me other than Donald Young is in it. The #2 and #3 seeds are relatively low level college players. In some of the larger events around here we get a bunch of low level pros or former pros as well as current D1 players that are at top level tennis schools.

LN_Dad
07-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Actually it doesn't seem that amazing to me other than Donald Young is in it. The #2 and #3 seeds are relatively low level college players. In some of the larger events around here we get a bunch of low level pros or former pros as well as current D1 players that are at top level tennis schools.
Where is "here"?

lacoster
07-16-2006, 12:13 PM

I was being sarcastic on the depth....all the matches are one-sided.
________
Stocks Game (http://apps.facebook.com/popstocks/)

chapufo1
07-16-2006, 01:51 PM
anyone know how much 1st place gets?

35ft6
07-16-2006, 02:17 PM
It's kind of funny to think that Donald Young probably couldn't win the Ojai tournament.

Nastase
07-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Eric Burke played at Ga Southern many yrs ago...

LN_Dad
07-16-2006, 03:29 PM
anyone know how much 1st place gets?
at least $500. I think the Ojai Open paid $2000.

Bones08
07-16-2006, 09:35 PM
In the 75k this week in Aptos, Donald Young could play Scoville Jenkins in Round 2. That would be fun!

sandiegotennisboy
07-16-2006, 09:44 PM
why does this kid get so many pages. he is already a failure in the making.

LN_Dad
07-16-2006, 09:52 PM
why does this kid get so many pages. he is already a failure in the making.
If you don't like him then don't read his threads. Don't tell us what we can and can't talk about. I say he's still young and people like you aren't qualified to call anyone a failure.

Bones08
07-16-2006, 09:55 PM
If you don't like him then don't read his threads. Don't tell us what we can and can't talk about. I say he's still young and people like you aren't qualified to call anyone a failure.

He is really a young man. I mean, he's not even 17 years old yet. He has a lot of time left, and some crucial years ahead.

superman1
07-16-2006, 09:58 PM
There are so many double bagels in the draw. When you double bagel someone and then you get double bagelled by somone else, it must make the first guy really depressed. Donald Young knows how that feels.

goober
07-16-2006, 10:05 PM
He is really a young man. I mean, he's not even 17 years old yet. He has a lot of time left, and some crucial years ahead.

Well he is turning 17 in one week. I agree that is way too early to say if he is going to be the next American star. Next year is a big year for him though. If he still loses in early rounds to juniors and doesn't make any noise on the ATP he will likely turn out to be closer to Tommy Ho than Tommy Haas.

uxnaitoahz
07-16-2006, 10:23 PM
LMAO ^^^ :mrgreen:

sandiegotennisboy
07-16-2006, 10:31 PM
There are so many double bagels in the draw. When you double bagel someone and then you get double bagelled by somone else, it must make the first guy really depressed. Donald Young knows how that feels.

ditto.

Bones08
07-16-2006, 10:43 PM
ditto.

Yeah, he knows how it feels to do it and dish it out!

sandiegotennisboy
07-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Yeah, he knows how it feels to do it and dish it out!

yep, he bagels the juniors and cant win a game in the pros. i dont see this "POTENTIAL" that everyone else does. you people give him too much credit. at 17, nadal was already a force, so was gasquet and on and on. but i guess everyone is hoping for that next american tennis hero... all thanks to the loser of a group of players we have now like roddick, fish, ginepri, dent, jenkins, and lucky-streak blake.

Bones08
07-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Everyone does not come along at the same age.

sandiegotennisboy
07-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Everyone does not come along at the same age.

well he sure is taking a looooooooooooooong time isnt he? thank god they werent handing him the wildcards like before, so he can lose in the first round. that was pretty pathetic and i feel sorry for the pro who lost a spot in those tournaments where young got a giveaway. also, young has no weapons. i dont care how young you are but by this age you can already see the tool the player will use to become a top ranked player: hingis--smarts, seles---power, nadal---physical strength, fed---variety. this is so boring.

Bones08
07-16-2006, 11:53 PM
well he sure is taking a looooooooooooooong time isnt he? thank god they werent handing him the wildcards like before, so he can lose in the first round. that was pretty pathetic and i feel sorry for the pro who lost a spot in those tournaments where young got a giveaway. also, young has no weapons. i dont care how young you are but by this age you can already see the tool the player will use to become a top ranked player: hingis--smarts, seles---power, nadal---physical strength, fed---variety. this is so boring.

We'll see!

Dilettante
07-17-2006, 12:15 AM
In the 75k this week in Aptos, Donald Young could play Scoville Jenkins in Round 2. That would be fun!

I would like to watch that so much.

Bones08
07-17-2006, 12:22 AM
I would like to watch that so much.

I would to. Contrasting Styles of Play.

gokou703
07-17-2006, 01:39 AM
It's kind of funny to think that Donald Young probably couldn't win the Ojai tournament.

haha i played in that tourny (jc level) lol!...and i saw some awesome players there the two years i went there. i really doubt donald young would win the div 1 or the open draws there. since he sucks on the atp i doubt he would have beaten cecil mammit, former 85 in the world, who was in the draw last year. he wouldn't beat warburg*, or biaselli* (#1 for some socal jc college and #1 for USC) however you spell there names...different level of open players at ojai, and a different level of competition at the d1 level as well. i don't think with the skill level he has now that he would win ojai. hopefully in the future he could win it...

Rob_C
07-17-2006, 02:52 PM
I dont think that DY is playing this tournament, I think it's his dad. DY is in the draw for the Aptos challenger this week, which is on hard, why would he play a clay court tourney the week before??

Also, I don't think it's a big deal whether or not Dy could win Ojai or not. There are a lot of very good players that come out for the Ojai, and some of the other big money tourneys in SoCal. Querrey lost at Ojai the last two years, and he's winning Challengers right now.

Mamiit & Fleishman have played the Michelob in years past, and Taylor Dent played Top Gun after he turned pro.

I just called that tournament, it was DY, not his Dad. I have no idea why he would be playing a clay court tourney right before playing a hard court challenger, but, what do I know.

Andy Zarzuela
07-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Donald Young wins. The most games he dropped in a match was 3. There were some pretty good players there. Lots of 5.0s,5.5s, and even a 6.0 or 2. The boy he beat in the final was once ranked no.1 in the Nation. My friends got the honor to play him in doubles. They only lost 6-3,7-5.

Bones08
07-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Donald Young wins. The most games he dropped in a match was 3. There were some pretty good players there. Lots of 5.0s,5.5s, and even a 6.0 or 2. The boy he beat in the final was once ranked no.1 in the Nation. My friends got the honor to play him in doubles. They only lost 6-3,7-5.

Great Job by DY. Maybe not the best competition, but maybe the wins will give him confidence.

LN_Dad
07-17-2006, 06:33 PM
I just called that tournament, it was DY, not his Dad. I have no idea why he would be playing a clay court tourney right before playing a hard court challenger, but, what do I know.
I think he's just trying to keep his fitness level up because the points are longer on clay.

stoneagle
07-17-2006, 08:15 PM
"Adult tournament"

Sounds interesting...

dy's, opponents are just bunch of 70-80 yrs old
toothless old folks.:mrgreen: