PDA

View Full Version : McEnroe vs Justine Henin, who would win?

Ano
07-12-2006, 09:52 PM
After seeing Photos of John McEnroe sent by RadekStepanekTheKing, I'm impressed with McEnroe current shape (He is still in a very good shape at 47).

So I guess if McEnroe would play against Henin in a singgle match, he would beat Henin easily, especialy if he attacks the net at every opportunity.

Guys, what are your opinions ?

supersmash
07-12-2006, 10:47 PM
McEnroe, provided that JHH does not bail out before then.

tarheels2323
07-12-2006, 10:55 PM
McEnroe said in his book that he is about 60% of what he was when he was winning Slams. McEnroe at 30% could beat a top female player. There is no doubt in my mind who would win.

newnuse
07-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Big Mac would win pretty easy. JHH has never faced a volley game like his.... even at his age.

ckthegreek
07-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Over a set McEnroe is the same as he was. I saw him play in the Superset tournament against Ancic last year and he accuracy, touch and power were excellent.

If McEnroe serves and volleys JHH has no chance. JHH may win a game or two on her serve (if John stays back that is).

deluxe
07-13-2006, 12:45 AM
McEnroe would eat her for breakfast.

Recent McEnroe results against *ATP* pros:

beat Scud 5-4 in WTT
beat Murray 6-1 in supersets
lost 9-7 to Ancic in supersets

The real question is, "Could JHH win a game of McEnroe?"

superman1
07-13-2006, 02:09 AM
He can serve 120 and it's a wickedly effective lefty serve. He follows that in with the greatest touch ever. Henin (why her?) would never break him.

His return looked very solid in San Jose in the finals and one of his opponents was a huge server. He's going to be returning all of the 5'4" Henin's serves with a little extra juice on the return.

What has faded the most for him? Obviously mobility. He's not nearly as quick as he used to be. But he can still cover the court, particularly against a short woman who, though she can get a lot of zip on the ball, doesn't have a fraction of the weapons that McEnroe has been facing all his life. Henin would be lucky to hold serve.

brucie
07-13-2006, 02:17 AM
Mac would win though I dont think by the margins some suggest, Henin is an incredible wta player. I doubt mac would have as much confidence as everyone else has in him! Guess 6-3 6-3

pound cat
07-13-2006, 03:33 AM
I don't think she could return his serves...compared to the woman's game, they're huge.

a guy
07-13-2006, 03:34 AM
Yeah mcenroe the tennis genious. What racket does he use when he plays now?

baseliner
07-13-2006, 04:26 AM
Not this thread again. Mac easy. Any D-I male can beat any WTA pro, no doubt about it.

Fatmike
07-13-2006, 04:53 AM
I don't think she could return his serves...compared to the woman's game, they're huge.

I'm sure that she practice with men so she saw plenty of men serves...

Marat Safinator
07-13-2006, 05:11 AM
not sure, macenroe lost to ancic closely in that super set thing and beat murray easily so im guessing mcenroe.

deluxe
07-13-2006, 05:27 AM
I'm sure that she practice with men so she saw plenty of men serves...

Me too. Of course, just because I've practiced with people better than me, that doesn't mean they can't bagel me.

Dedans Penthouse
07-13-2006, 06:07 AM
McEnroe would eat her for breakfast."
I'd hope not deluxe; if he did, he'd be sick by lunchtime. Johnny Mac: beware the beady-eyed cootie Queen.

Tennis-wise, he'd win, especially when you consider his "results" in practice matches vs. ATP players.

johnkidd
07-13-2006, 06:14 AM

beat Scud 5-4 in WTT

Agree 100%. This gets brought up all the time and has been discussed in one way shape or form since BJK played Riggs. The best quote I remember regarding this was back when Martina N. was dominating Chris Evert was asked how Martina would fair against a male pro to which she replied that she couldn't get a game off her brother and he only played Div I college tennis, how would Martina beat a top ranked pro? Enough said. Plus add in the fact Mac can still hold his own in doubles at the top level.

chiru
07-13-2006, 07:17 AM
yeah dude mac is probably the best old guy i can think of, itts pretty amazing that hes still in good form and he won a title at the atp level. btu then again, he was never one to over exert himself, and relied more on talent than conditiononing, which doesn't deteriorate over the years in the same way.

Tchocky
07-13-2006, 10:07 AM
McEnroe would win in straight sets, for sure.

Kobble
07-13-2006, 11:00 AM
John would hold serve rather easily. So, I think MacEnroe. Maybe 6-2, 6-1.

ACE of Hearts
07-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Mac would make Henin quit and cry because of his antics, he proobaly would talk to her while playing her.Saying u cant beat me, go bake me something!:mrgreen:

diegaa
07-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Mcenroe would win by a huuuuuuge difference. Noquestion about it.

helloworld
07-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Mcenroe can still serve and volley pretty well in senior tour I saw couple months ago. I'm pretty sure Justine would find it difficult getting one game from him.

newnuse
07-13-2006, 01:28 PM

beat Scud 5-4 in WTT

Wow, those scores are impressive. That's amazing for a guy his age.

shawn1122
07-13-2006, 08:07 PM
If he's so good, why doesn't he make a comeback. It can't be that hard for him to get a wildcard into Wimbledon.

tarheels2323
07-13-2006, 08:57 PM
If he's so good, why doesn't he make a comeback. It can't be that hard for him to get a wildcard into Wimbledon.

He isn't at the top of his game and he always hated to lose. His body at this point in his life can't sustain his game for five sets. He can still play doubles (still in my opinion the best doubles player ever) on the pro tour and win but it's all about what his body will let him do at his age.

quest01
07-13-2006, 09:01 PM
They should set up another battle of the sexes match but with McEnroe and Justine.

Personally i think McEnroe would win. Justine would probably be intimidated from playing a guy especially a guy that serves and volleys all the time, something should wouldnt be used to. This match must be straight up though, McEnroe gets 2 serves and Justine doesnt get the doubles alley like the original between Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean King.

MTXR
07-13-2006, 09:31 PM
what about mac vs sampras right now. Where they are at right now.

superman1
07-13-2006, 10:11 PM
McEnroe vs Sampras would be an interesting match. I actually think Mac could beat Sampras right now, he's in much better form.

Why doesn't he return to the ATP if he can beat guys like Scud and Murray? Because he'd probably break his back getting through a best of 3 set match against a 20 year old. Even if he won, there's no way he'd be able to get up the next morning. After he won the Doubles tournament in San Jose he didn't seem very enthused with the idea of playing more doubles. He said something like, "I'm going to take a long break and go back to the Senior's Tour where I belong." It's a hard knock life on the ATP, especially for a 47 year old who has already finished his career.

ericsson
07-13-2006, 11:33 PM
i remember a demonstration match between henin and yannick noah few years ago, noah really played with her, we all could see henin had to play world class balls to pass that guy, so i think the answer is clear ;)

at one moment noah had to play very easy balls to her, she couldnt handle the pace and the good volleys.

Fatmike
07-14-2006, 05:19 AM
Me too. Of course, just because I've practiced with people better than me, that doesn't mean they can't bagel me.

indeed....

but what I meant is that she won't bue surprised by a men's serve speed....

alfa164164
07-14-2006, 05:34 AM
Anyone who thinks JHH would beat McEnroe needs to find a better pharmacist.

progman_2000
07-14-2006, 05:36 AM
Mac could beat JHH if he played with a dead cat for a racquet

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Mac would win, I think he should play more doubles events more often, and maybe a singles event like Wimby next year.

mctennis
07-14-2006, 08:40 AM
I heard this stupid issue another time about Mac playing the Williams sisters. Same story and same results...Mac would beat ANY woman player head to head. Nuf said about this thread....next topic please!!!!!

simi
07-14-2006, 08:41 AM
His body couldn't hold up to five set matches, every other day at W. Doubles, probably. I still think he and Steffi could have won that one year they teamed up.

Against JHH, well, it would be a good match to record . . . and study. We would find out just how S&V and chip-n-charge tennis should be played. If a serious match, 6-0, 6-0; if goofing around, then anything, but still a win.