PDA

View Full Version : Question on stringing an M-Speed Pro No. 1

DarrenT
07-13-2006, 01:14 AM
The racquet specs say only to use one piece. I was wondering if anyone has tried and successfully strung it using two piece (for a hybrid). I've been stringing it one piece with NRG2 (16) at 60 lbs but it only lasts on average two weeks before a main snaps. I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to stringing, making sure I don't burn or notch the mains when weaving and pulling the crosses, so I don't think the strings are breaking prematurely. I've also tried several multi's (x-one biphase, NXT, Attraction, Xcel Premium, Sensation) with similar results. I think I could extend the life of the strings without suffering much playability if I could string the M-Speed Pro No. 1 with poly mains and multi crosses. I'm just not willing to destroy one of my racquets attempting to string it with two pieces if I don't have to. :)

Gaines Hillix
07-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Essentially any racquet can be strung two piece. The trick is making sure you have an extra tie off hole available. Take a close look at your grommets and count the number of enlarged holes. Some frames have extra enlarged holes eventhough the pattern calls for 1 piece. If it doesn't, then you have to pick a hole that is convenient(4H would be a good place to look) and use a hair dryer or heat gun and an awl to enlarge one of them. Just warm up the grommet and use the awl to stretch it out inside the barrel. Insert the awl from both sides and work it back and forth. A flaring tool is nice to have to finish it, but not mandatory.

DarrenT
07-13-2006, 01:05 PM
There appears to be sufficient holes for a two piece job (3 enlarged holes already flared in each corner of the racquet) but I was more curious about whether it would cause structural damage to the frame. I can't think of any reason why it would, but then the question that comes to mind is: Why did they specify that only one piece be used?