PDA

View Full Version : Og Sheep Micro to Timo Hybrid

prmeier
07-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Have been using Gosen Og Sheep Micro 17g at 56mains/54 crosses.

If I was to put Timo 17g in the mains and Og Sheep Micro in the crosses what tension should I use to maintain a similar feel. Have read that Luxilon recommend to drop tension by 10% when using Timo. If this is true then should I string it at 50mains/54 crosses.

Any opinions/suggestions.

brucie
07-13-2006, 02:39 PM
I might do that though it would be:
Og sheep 16 mains 53lbs
timo 18 crosses 51lbs

That would be good i think rememeber timo is poly its thin and low tension will make it last longer and play better.

prmeier
07-13-2006, 08:10 PM
I might do that though it would be:
Og sheep 16 mains 53lbs
timo 18 crosses 51lbs

That would be good i think rememeber timo is poly its thin and low tension will make it last longer and play better.

Just wondering why the Og Sheep in the mains.

I was going to put the Timo in the mains for greater durability and a bit of extra spin. Wouldn't the Poly in the crosses cut through the softer mains quicker.

Does it just play/feel better with the poly in the crosses.

theace21
07-13-2006, 08:56 PM
I usually hybrid a poly in the mains for the exact reason - durability, and to lessen the poly stiffness. Not sure, but I would think a synthetic gut would not last long in the mains (if you are a string breaker) - but I have never tried it...

prmeier
07-14-2006, 03:49 AM
I usually hybrid a poly in the mains for the exact reason - durability, and to lessen the poly stiffness. Not sure, but I would think a synthetic gut would not last long in the mains (if you are a string breaker) - but I have never tried it...

My thinking exactly. Was just wondering about BRUCIE's suggestion of a thicker synthetic in the mains with the poly crosses. Seem to remember that a few pros play poly in the crosses and gut in the mains. Just wondered if there was a reason for this.

brucie
07-14-2006, 05:52 AM
My thinking exactly. Was just wondering about BRUCIE's suggestion of a thicker synthetic in the mains with the poly crosses. Seem to remember that a few pros play poly in the crosses and gut in the mains. Just wondered if there was a reason for this.

Some people particulary top spin hitters tend to break crosses first so for durability i would put poly crosses in sure the main will notch and snap instead but ill get lik 2 weeks play as opposed to 1 week. etc.

TennisProPaul
07-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Some people particulary top spin hitters tend to break crosses first so for durability i would put poly crosses in sure the main will notch and snap instead but ill get lik 2 weeks play as opposed to 1 week. etc.

aloha brucie

What you just said seems to go against all the info I have ever read. Most topspin players will break the mains unless the main is kev or a hybrid with a softer string in the cross, or a poly set up where its a 10% cross breaking situation from my experience.

Using the poly in the cross and softer string in the main I thought was for feel.

Can you give some more insite on your statement.

It seems to be more personal choice then fact, but Im open minded.

p