PDA

View Full Version : Natural gut - long-lasting?

Galactus
07-13-2006, 06:18 AM
If kept in good condition?

Last week I had my Prostaff Original strung with Babolat VS17 Natural Gut @63lb - it lasted just two 2-hour matches before starting to fray in the middle (on one string especially).....which ultimately snapped on the 1st serve of my next match.
I should point out that during match #2, it was wet - but I thought I accounted for this by rubbing a very thin coat of wax on each side of the strings....

Defective strings, too high tension or dampness? :confused:

dirk
07-13-2006, 06:44 AM
I use the same gut in my Prestige classic, and it never breaks that quickly. However, I never ever play with my gut racquet if it's the least bit wet. I've never rubbed oil or wax on the string, but I put string savers in the sweet spot as soon as it's strung.

LttlElvis
07-13-2006, 07:32 AM
I use Babolat VS 17g. I string Prince Shark @ 49 lbs.

I also get the fraying within 1 hr of play. On the short end I will get 2 hours of play, but generally I can get 6 - 8 hrs before breaking.

I don't think you had defective strings. This is just the nature of gut, especially the 17g gut.

Someone told me to try the Babolat Tonic 16g gut. He said the feel is very similar, the wear is similar, but it is $10 cheaper per set. I still have 2 boxes of the VS 17g, so I will try it next.

kicker75
07-13-2006, 09:22 AM
If kept in good condition?

Last week I had my Prostaff Original strung with Babolat VS17 Natural Gut @63lb - it lasted just two 2-hour matches before starting to fray in the middle (on one string especially).....which ultimately snapped on the 1st serve of my next match.
I should point out that during match #2, it was wet - but I thought I accounted for this by rubbing a very thin coat of wax on each side of the strings....

Defective strings, too high tension or dampness? :confused:

The variables of natural gut makes it too hard to narrow down the cause of breakage. Gut just breaks, and other times it lasts a long time - depends on so many different factors. The Babolat line usually is not affected much by wetness (unless you were playing in the rain and getting it really wet. If you spill a little water on the strings, the strings should be able to repel the water with the thermogut technology)

I would try (if you keep breaking your strings):

-changing to VS Touch 16g - 15g if you're breaking the 16g
-using poly or kevlar in the mains, and your natural gut in the crosses

brownbearfalling
07-13-2006, 09:41 AM
I use Babolat VS 17g. I string Prince Shark @ 49 lbs.

I also get the fraying within 1 hr of play. On the short end I will get 2 hours of play, but generally I can get 6 - 8 hrs before breaking.

I don't think you had defective strings. This is just the nature of gut, especially the 17g gut.

Someone told me to try the Babolat Tonic 16g gut. He said the feel is very similar, the wear is similar, but it is $10 cheaper per set. I still have 2 boxes of the VS 17g, so I will try it next.
WOW two boxes!!! How much did that cost you?
________
Extreme q vaporizer (http://extremevaporizer.info)

diredesire
07-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Just by nature, natural gut wont, as a rule, always last longer. It's just the nature of the beast. In the future, i strongly suggest you pick up some string savers and insert them at points of wear (like that one string you were having trouble with). This can easily double, triple, or even better the life of your strings. As far as getting them wet, that's a bit of a no-no, although not as bad as people make it out to be due to recent coating "tech." If there was wear in your strings, though, it was probably worse than a fresh, untouched string job.

armand
07-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Yeah, if it has frayed, then the coating in those spots will be gone, yeah? Some people won't even use gut in humid conditions and I wouldn't bring out gut if it's so wet that the balls are moist. That kills.

Other than that, how did you like the gut, Galactus?

volleyman
07-13-2006, 11:36 AM
String life seems to be dependent on hitting style and string pattern as much as anything else.

That said, natural gut mains + syn gut crosses combined with string savers at the wear points last me longer than any other string I've tried (i've not tried a full gut set up). I highly recommend string savers for gut strings.

I've also found that I can play as well with 15L or 16 gauge gut as I can with 17 or 18 gauge multis or polys, which probably also improves my string life.

rasajadad
07-13-2006, 12:41 PM
I have a set of Wilson Natural 17g in my racquet since May 19. I play 4-5 times a week about 2 hours at a time. I three racquets.Don't use string savers. Don't play it in the rain. It's fraying, but that's part of the deal.

I hope it breaks soon. I've got some Pacific Tough Gut to go in next.

Galactus
07-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Yeah, if it has frayed, then the coating in those spots will be gone, yeah? Some people won't even use gut in humid conditions and I wouldn't bring out gut if it's so wet that the balls are moist. That kills.

Other than that, how did you like the gut, Galactus?
On a 390g Prostaff Original?? F*kcing awesome!