PDA

View Full Version : question about socks...1 pair or 2

oldguysrule
07-13-2006, 07:52 AM
I am curious as to whether most of you wear 1 pair of socks or 2 for tennis. If you wear 1, do you wear the thicker, thor-lo type? Are there any benefits one way or the other or do you think it is just personal preference? For the record, I always wear two pair for basketball. Up until about, 4 weeks ago, I was wearing 2 pair for tennis. I bought better shoes this time and I have been trying to just wear 1 pair. Silly question I know, but...

So, 1 pair or 2, and why?

Nuke
07-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Two pairs, for very many years now. Before that, I used to get terrible blisters on my feet. I'm wearing better shoes now than back then, but putting on two pairs of socks is part of the pre-match ritual now, like putting on my hat.

brucie
07-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Only 1 as 1 is too sweaty anyhow.

tennis-skater
07-13-2006, 09:21 AM
one super thin climalite adidas no show sock there great your foot stays pretty dry

North
07-13-2006, 09:37 AM
One pair only. My feet would get way too sweaty in 2 pair. Mostly, however, I prefer one pair because I get better feel for movement about the court without my feet slip-sliding around in two pairs of socks. If the 2 pair of socks were tight enough to prevent the slippage, they'd probably be too tight. I don't rely on the socks for cushioning, though I wear Eurosox, which are a little cushioned. I've tried Thorlos and they are very bulky (I'd have to use one size higher in shoes) and don't breathe very well.

Slightly off-topic, but related, I found the same thing with socks for skiing. Two pair just allows no feel for movement within the ski boot and allows my foot to slip too much. The ski is then a split second delayed in response to my foot when I have 2 pairs of socks, so I just wear a nearly paper-thin polypro sock liner under the medium-weight wool ski sock.

BreakPoint
07-13-2006, 12:25 PM
One pair of thinner socks. I used to wear thick Thorlos but they slid around too much in my shoes which caused lots of toe jamming and bruising. Amazingly, I've found that thinner socks actually work better for me. Who would have thunk it? ;)

rasajadad
07-13-2006, 12:43 PM
One pair of thinner socks. I used to wear thick Thorlos but they slid around too much in my shoes which caused lots of toe jamming and bruising. Amazingly, I've found that thinner socks actually work better for me. Who would have thunk it? ;)

My sentiments exactly! (One pair thin!)

Cruzer
07-13-2006, 01:16 PM
With the newer, breathable, fairly durable fabrics that are being used in socks I have found 1 pair of something like Defeet socks are the most comfortable for me.

punch
07-13-2006, 01:28 PM
2 for basketball for me is a MUST. Usually I wear just one pair of thicker socks for tennis.

My feet have a lot of callouses do to a long history of blisters on my feet, however when I switched to 2 pairs of socks for basketball about 2 years ago those problems are no more.

tarheels2323
07-13-2006, 01:39 PM
I actually only wear one pair for basketball because I always buy shoes that hug my feet. Anyway, I wear one pair for tennis. The only sport I wear more than one pair for is soccer.

tennisboy87
07-13-2006, 01:44 PM
I wear one pair of socks when I play. I usually wear Thorlos, so one pair is perfect for me.

yoga
07-13-2006, 02:04 PM
one pair of thorlos works fine for me. to do so, remember to get urself a slightly larger size shoe with ample toe box

Marat Safinator
07-13-2006, 02:15 PM
1 my feet would get too hot.

jonolau
07-13-2006, 10:51 PM
On the contrary, your feet will still hot get regardless of one or two layers of sock. I found that wearing 2 layers provides better sweat absorbency. Only the inner layer gets damp, and ensures that your shoe doesn't get damp too, thus prolonging the life of your shoe upper. From my experience, when I use my shoes before they dry out properly, the upper has been softened by the moisture and tends to tear much easier especially when you suddenly accelerate/decelerate.

nn
07-14-2006, 07:35 AM
2 pair.. one long and other short

Nazer
07-14-2006, 12:14 PM
1 pair thin

psamp14
07-14-2006, 11:20 PM
one pair...nike ankle socks...

mctennis
07-15-2006, 09:08 PM
One pair of cotton WigWam socks.