PDA

View Full Version : Stringing at Sports Authority

predrag
07-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Everybody here says how bad it is. Never seen the evidence myself.
However, yesterday, I was in SA with my son, and there was a guy stringing
racquet on the Ekelton stringer. Good machine, old Prince Neos 1000.
I stopped to check ou what he was doing.
Sure enough, he was double pulling (pulling two strings at the same time).
I approached and said "you should not do it that way"
He said, "that's how it is supposed to be done"

Well, just wanted to share.

Regards, Predrag

brownbearfalling
07-13-2006, 08:31 AM
Plus the strings are way overpriced there too.
________
Sc 2 Replays (http://screplays.com)

ch4ng
07-13-2006, 08:33 AM
i remember when i went to sports authority, this was before i had my machine. they strung my racquet n later that day i went off to play and i say my strings were loose. i looked all over the string bed n saw i didnt snap a string. i found out that they didnt knot the string correctly. i went back and they wouldnt refund my money or restring it. ever since that happened i dont go to sports authority or sports chalet for stringing needs

southpaw37
07-13-2006, 08:36 AM
I never got the impression that the people that worked there cared much about tennis. They strung rackets cause someone told them to. That's why I stick to tennis shops.

emcee
07-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Yep Sports Authority is slow, overpriced, and bad! The one time someone was helpful there was because the dude working there was hawking his own tennis shop.

progman_2000
07-13-2006, 08:42 AM
I struck up a conversation with the stringer at the SA near me. Turns out that he had never even played tennis! And he was strictly the stringer, came in a couple of times a week to string racquets only. How can you appreciate tension, gauges, etc. if you've never even played?

Viper
07-13-2006, 08:47 AM
I had a bad feeling ever since I first went there. I had the half packages from babolat and the lady NEVER understood that they were half sets. The eventually strung it right but the crosses felt like 49 pounds instead 60

theace21
07-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Sure enough, he was double pulling (pulling two strings at the same time).
I approached and said "you should not do it that way"
He said, "that's how it is supposed to be done"

Well, just wanted to share.

Regards, Predrag
I am sure that is how he was trained...Get it done faster, nobody will know the difference.

Cruzer
07-13-2006, 09:54 AM
There has been the rare diamond in the rough when there is a competent, careful stringer at a big box sports store. Those rare instances arise when a tennis player gets a job at one of these stores and becomes the racquet stringer. It seems for the most part the job gets foisted onto someone who is only looking to get the stringing done as fast as possible and they probably have several interruptions during the process meaning a racquet may sit partially strung for a few hours or more.

Caswell
07-13-2006, 09:58 AM
I just wish they'd drop the "free stringing" nonsense.

I string my own racquets, but I'd be willing to shell out a dollar or two extra to pick up different sets of string from them (there's a Dick's and a SA within a couple miles of work). Too bad the sets range from $20 to $40, with "free stringing".

Davai
07-13-2006, 10:05 AM
i remember when i went to sports authority, this was before i had my machine. they strung my racquet n later that day i went off to play and i say my strings were loose. i looked all over the string bed n saw i didnt snap a string. i found out that they didnt knot the string correctly. i went back and they wouldnt refund my money or restring it. ever since that happened i dont go to sports authority or sports chalet for stringing needs

What you are saying might be true about SA, I wouldn't know. However Sport Chalet usually has good and experienced stringers who know quite a bit about tennis.

Tchocky
07-13-2006, 10:10 AM
The stringer at my Sports Authority didn't seem very knowledgeable. It's best to support your local tennis shop.

Masamusou
07-13-2006, 10:12 AM
I just wish they'd drop the "free stringing" nonsense.

I string my own racquets, but I'd be willing to shell out a dollar or two extra to pick up different sets of string from them (there's a Dick's and a SA within a couple miles of work). Too bad the sets range from $20 to $40, with "free stringing".

Unfortunately, I'm not really sure there is a way around that. My manager asked me if it would be a better idea to drop the cost of the string down and then add on an additional "stringing" fee to bring it back up to our normal cost. Believe me, I agree that it would be nice to just drive down to the store, pick up the strings for a more reasonable price, especially if you do your own stringing. The problem though is the pricing structure. We charge $10 for labor, so we can't really have a "$15 for labor if you buy the string from us, or $10 labor if you bring your own string" policy. I say roughly $15 because that would mean that a person could come into the store and buy a set of PSGD for about $5. The store I work at unfortunately has an odd system of pricing (Lightning costs the same as PSGD) so we'd end up having different labor fees based on the string. I've talked to my manager about it, but I'm just not really sure how to work that without changing some of the string prices. Very few people that come into our store are just looking for the string, but it would be nice for me to get my employee discount on the actual cost of the string and not the additional cost of me stringing it. I'll continue talking to my manager about it, but there would have to be changes in price accordingly.

By the way, if I were in New York, I would have no problem taking my frames to Tom Martinez at a SA, but there are a lot of stores that have bad stringing people. There are basically two guys at the store I work at that do the stringing. The other guy double pulls on the mains, takes a long time to finish (I've seen him take over 2 hours on a PD before), will go bottom up on the crosses pretty often, uses the glide bar clamps on fan pattern frames, and ties really sloppy knots. Then there is me. I've asked my manager to institute a rule that if both of us are working I should be the one doing the stringing, but no luck yet.

So I imagine that every chain will have some good stringers in some areas and some awful stringing people in other areas. We even have both in the same store, and it will happen, but I've seen some pretty bad string jobs coming out of pro shops too, but just remember that the extra money they charge is not always worth it. Find a good stringer that you trust and stick with them.

Gaines Hillix
07-13-2006, 11:57 AM
It's a crap shoot at just about any big box store. Some are very good. I know the stringer at my local Dick's and he's an excellent stringer with many years of experience. They have a contract with Dicks and he carefully screens anyone he hires to string for him. Some chains are starting to require that their stringers be USRSA certified, which I think is a great idea. IMO, your best bet is to use a local shop where you can speak to the owner and find out about the quality of their work, meet the person who is actually going to string your racquet and watch them string.