PDA

View Full Version : Serena Returns-Expects to "Blow the Joint Up"

Bones08
07-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Serena returns after 'mental break'

4 minutes ago

It turns out Serena Williams was rehabilitating more than her left knee while away from tennis. Her mind needed healing, too.

"I honestly just needed a mental break. I was going through a lot of stuff in my life, besides surgery and including surgery," Williams said Thursday, without going into specifics. "It was a lot — a lot that not everyone will understand or ever know."

She'll play her first match in six months when she returns to action at a hard-court tournament here next week. Williams' only matches this year came in January at the Australian Open, where she lost in the third round.

Citing her chronic left knee injury, she skipped the French Open and Wimbledon.

Now her aim is to compete at the year's last Grand Slam tournament, the U.S. Open, which starts Aug. 28.

"I needed to take time to clear my mind and get really in shape and realize what I like to do, which is play tennis. It's what I like to do best," she said.

Williams had surgery on her left knee in August 2003, and returned to the tour the following March.

"My knee never recovered, because I came back way too fast," she said Thursday.

Her rehab and on-court preparation this time included a stint with tennis coach Nick Bollettieri, whose proteges have included Andre Agassi and Monica Seles.

"I went to Bollettieri during the French Open," Williams said. "Nick's a good friend of mine. He's a great guy and a great coach. He did a lot for me and my game."

Williams has won seven Grand Slam singles titles and was ranked No. 1 for 57 weeks. But the time away from the tour has dropped her ranking to 140th.

As usual, though, she intends to impress on the court.

"I hope to get a lot of satisfaction out of my game. I hope to go out and blow the joint up," Williams said. "My goals — I've never said them out loud. I just expect to do what I do best, and I think I play tennis best."

The field at Cincinnati includes a handful of top players, led by eighth-ranked Patty Schnyder and 2004 French Open champion Anastasia Myskina.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060713...HE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

GRANITECHIEF
07-13-2006, 03:06 PM
If the highest seed is Schnyder, Serena probably has a pretty good chance at the title.

Marat Safinator
07-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Schnyder is a very solid player whos been playing regularly.

Alexandros
07-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Schnyder is a very solid player whos been playing regularly.

Serena is a seven time grand slam champion and former number 1.

Marat Safinator
07-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Schnyder has been on tour regularly, fit and healthy, playing well on the other hand serena is fat.

Bones08
07-13-2006, 03:11 PM

I agree!

GRANITECHIEF
07-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Ive never heard of a Schnyder Slam.

Simon Cowell
07-13-2006, 03:15 PM
I hope she comes back and dominates the tour like she used to, overpowering small-Euro finesse wimpy chicks.

Bones08
07-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Schnyder has been on tour regularly, fit and healthy, playing well on the other hand serena is fat.

Have you seen Serena Lately, I want you to Compare the Aussie Open with New Pictures of her. There has been a lot of weight lost, and back at the AO, you could tell she was gaining weight because her arm muscles we're not like they used to be. Fast forward to now, and you clearly see that the Serena from 6 months ago is no more. She lost a lot of weight. You think Nick B is going to let her go to the Academy and not train properly, i Don't think So! He had her running just like he did when she was 17 and Venus was 18 at the Academy! What worked well before, will work now. Serena will be a Grand Slam Champion again, it's just about her putting forth the effort. Losing the weight and going back to the Academy Coach that helped her get there are a very good start!

Alexandros
07-13-2006, 03:17 PM

Have you seen pictures of her recently?

cuddles26
07-13-2006, 03:26 PM
A fit Serena is unbeatable. An unfit Serena will continue losing in the 3rd or 4th round of every slam. It is all up to her.

Bones08
07-13-2006, 03:28 PM
A fit Serena is unbeatable. An unfit Serena will continue losing in the 3rd or 4th round of every slam. It is all up to her.

That is so true. Serena needs to want this, I just know that deep down Nick or Richard has read her some letters,articles or something to show her what has been said in order to motivate. Motivation can do wonders for a Champion.

cuddles26
07-13-2006, 03:30 PM
That is so true. Serena needs to want this, I just know that deep down Nick or Richard has read her some letters,articles or something to show her what has been said in order to motivate. Motivation can do wonders for a Champion.

Yes the things people say, the doubters, the disbelievers, those can all fuel the fire of a champion like Serena to want to stick it to all of those people that much more. Also former greats like Chris Evert writing letters encouraging her to return to her former fitness and form could serve as motivation the other way too.

Shabazza
07-13-2006, 03:31 PM
I hope she comes back and dominates the tour like she used to, overpowering small-Euro finesse wimpy chicks.
Good to see, that your bias and trolling isn't restricted to one gender or one player! Way to go! :cool:

Bones08
07-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Yes the things people say, the doubters, the disbelievers, those can all fuel the fire of a champion like Serena to want to stick it to all of those people that much more. Also former greats like Chris Evert writing letters encouraging her to return to her former fitness and form could serve as motivation the other way too.

I really think you're right. Nick B wrote her an Open Letter after the AO, she ended up going to the Academy. She said he did a lot for her and her game, when she won every slam before the AO 05, she had went to his Academy the week prior to train. I am really glad that she's back!

ACE of Hearts
07-13-2006, 03:35 PM
I never liked the Williams sisters but i am interested in how serious Serena is about her game.We will see, i still have my doubts.I thought the Williams era ended some years ago,Its nice to have her in the mix with the other players so we will see.

cuddles26
07-13-2006, 03:36 PM
I really think you're right. Nick B wrote her an Open Letter after the AO, she ended up going to the Academy. She said he did a lot for her and her game, when she won every slam before the AO 05, she had went to his Academy the week prior to train. I am really glad that she's back!

Knowing she was training with Nick B. must be a scary thought for the other women on tour. If you read any Nick B. book or article you would know he does not accept anything but strenous training and work, along with stringent eating habits, while working with him. Heck Mary Pierce looked like a washed up has been, and was 30 years old, and he took her to two slam finals last year based on just a couple weeks working with her, and she isnt even a natural athlete like Serena.

kaiotic
07-13-2006, 03:37 PM
agree on 'a fit serena is unbeatable.'
we've seen it beofre, and i hope to see it again.

and I wish Venus knew how to serve and volley.

Bones08
07-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Knowing she was training with Nick B. must be a scary thought for the other women on tour. If you read any Nick B. book or article you would know he does not accept anything but strenous training and work, along with stringent eating habits, while working with him. Heck Mary Pierce looked like a washed up has been, and was 30 years old, and he took her to two slam finals last year based on just a couple weeks working with her, and she isnt even a natural athlete like Serena.

Exactly, I know he made her run a lot, and he is one person who speaks his mind. I know he told her that it was time to lose weight. There was no longer a way around it, as a fan-I knew it needed to be done. I want whats best for her, and womens tennis. Like Nick said, she was pushing the ball during the AO. That's not her game, in the Letter Nick said " But you are not physically fit, and you no longer control the centre of
the court. Why? For the first, I don’t know. For the second, because
you’ve been playing at least three feet behind the baseline – forcing
yourself to cover more territory, and giving opponents time to reach
most of your balls.

You used to force others to train physically, to hit the ball. At your
best, you stood close to the baseline and at times inside it. You hit
the ball sooner. You utilised the power of the opponent’s return
against them. You controlled play. You caught the opponent off balance.

You hit early, and hard, and came to the net a lot more."

I hope she has answered his call not by just showing up at the Academy and working with him, but also by her play!

Marat Safinator
07-13-2006, 04:23 PM
shes too arrogant,not good enough to cope with anybody in the top 10 she will never dominate ever again.

Bones08
07-13-2006, 04:37 PM
shes too arrogant,not good enough to cope with anybody in the top 10 she will never dominate ever again.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, Do you see whose in the top 10?

superman1
07-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Serena Returns, but disappoints at the box office.

Chadwixx
07-13-2006, 04:45 PM
I heard Schnyder is going to have a hidden bag of big macs with her. Serena will be drawn to them like a magnent. We may see a shoulder bump like venus delivered a few years ago but serena will be going after the burgers and poor patty will be ran over like mack truck.

tennissavy
07-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Serena has more important people to worry about than Schnyder like Jankovic who beat Serena several months ago and venus just days ago. Of course there are other players who could kick her a s s like Myskina...

Tezuka Kunimitsu
07-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Hmm... Probably shouldn’t say rude statements about others in general; nobody is perfect. But if Serena wants it, she may reach it. I hope she comes back I want to see what she can do against the top players. If any one is well motivated, any thing can happen. I was motivated to lose weight and loss a total of 90 pounds in 9 months. I went from 275 lbs and playing on the computer 8 hours a day to 185 lbs and playing sports (mostly tennis :) ). Since Serena has tasted her greatness before it will be easier for her to get there again. I am so excited to see her improve.

~Joe

arosen
07-13-2006, 05:13 PM

Hmm..I kind of like the Euro finesse. You know, Mauresmo's volleys, JHH's backhand...good stuff.

Phil
07-13-2006, 05:48 PM

Hey, that sounds like a line I'd use. Are you sure you're not me?:)

I wouldn't exactly term Mauresmo a wimp, and the Serena of old is gone. But other than AM and that shreiking cow, Sharapova, you are correct.

FEDEXP
07-13-2006, 07:22 PM
"...blow up the joint.....?"

Gilgamesh
07-13-2006, 08:05 PM
I can't stand Serena. She is more about fashion than tennis now a days with those stupid looking outfits.

I don't even understand how anyone can find her hot seriously.

SER
07-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Ive never heard of a Schnyder Slam.

Schnyder Slam??? now say that 5 times fast

i.Radical
07-13-2006, 08:20 PM
I really hope she can prove the doubters out there wrong. And whoever says she's fat needs to do a little more research. Obviously she's had a lot of time to train and get fit, and the pictures out there prove that.

sandiegotennisboy
07-13-2006, 09:11 PM
serena's comeback will be lackluster....just like her desire for the game. she's gone hollywood, and they dont even want her there.

Bones08
07-13-2006, 09:18 PM
She has people on this board who she will be proving wrong!

tangerine
07-14-2006, 06:39 AM
I am still perplexed at how someone with as little game and style as Schnyder is in the Top Ten? :confused:

Duzza
07-14-2006, 06:41 AM
"I hope to go out and blow the joint up," Williams said.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a terrorism threat??

Phil
07-14-2006, 07:31 AM
I am still perplexed at how someone with as little game and style as Schnyder is in the Top Ten? :confused:

You might not be so perplexed if you actually watched her play. After Hingis and Hardene, she's probably the smartest player on the tour.

Condoleezza
07-14-2006, 01:39 PM

That doesn't mean much. She is almost 25.

Seles won her last of 9 slams at age 22, Hingis her last of 5 slams at age 19.
And Davenport was 23.

Condi

Condoleezza
07-14-2006, 01:43 PM
agree on 'a fit serena is unbeatable.'
we've seen it beofre, and i hope to see it again.

and I wish Venus knew how to serve and volley.

Serena won 5 slams within 13 months in 2002/03. Even in that time frame she lost to Rubin, Clijsters, Mauresmo and Henin, wasn't unbeatable.

Condi

a guy
07-14-2006, 01:44 PM

simon cowell change ur sig, your like a stuck record

tarheels2323
07-14-2006, 01:48 PM

I think we all know that women's tennis is about the way they look on the court, not the way they play. I for one enjoy looking at some of the small-Euro finesse wimpy chicks.

Condoleezza
07-14-2006, 01:50 PM
I think we all know that women's tennis is about the way they look on the court, not the way they play. I for one enjoy looking at some of the small-Euro finesse wimpy chicks.

small-Euro finesse wimpy chicks won more slams in the last 20 years than butch US semi-male players ....

Condi

Marat Safinator
07-14-2006, 01:56 PM
why are you guys so nice to her, is it cause she makes you alot of money at your mcdonalds business?

Bones08
07-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Wow, 42 replies for Serena. She has a lot of fans on this board. People spend so much time on her for them not to care/like her!

sandiegotennisboy
07-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Wow, 42 replies for Serena. She has a lot of fans on this board. People spend so much time on her for them not to care/like her!

we like bashing has-beens here. youve been around long enough to know that silly. havent you seen all the roddick threads? come on now.

HollerOne5
07-14-2006, 02:29 PM
I was never really a fan of Serena's, but I want her to come back and start winning the slam titles she deserves. I'm sick of seeing players with tons of talent, not winning what they should because of their lack of desire, focus, or fitness. I think Seles was a good example of this, post-stabbing, and Clijsters currently.

Even if you are a fan or not, everyone knows that Serena from 2002 would beat any player on the tour right now.

sandiegotennisboy
07-14-2006, 02:35 PM
I was never really a fan of Serena's, but I want her to come back and start winning the slam titles she deserves. I'm sick of seeing players with tons of talent, not winning what they should because of their lack of desire, focus, or fitness. I think Seles was a good example of this, post-stabbing, and Clijsters currently.

Even if you are a fan or not, everyone knows that Serena from 2002 would beat any player on the tour right now.

everyone says that: (insert player name her) of (insert year(s) here) would be this and that and blah blah blah. ive personally never heard of anyone turning back time, so the way i see it, the serena of now is just another power baseliner. even if she were to "regain" her form when she was at her peak, everyone's level has gone up and she wont be able to dominate. this is what we call a has-been. i would still watch her matches. she plays a couple entertaining points here and there.

mctennis
07-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Tired of seeing and hearing about the Williams sisters. Their whole tour was hype and all power no finess. Their shots were all muscled in and they have terrible tennis form. It is showing up now with injuries and excuses why they cannot play. Make room for other players that truely love the game. IMHO

BeautyVenus
07-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Of course people forget Serena's "mental break" really had to do with her sister Yetunde Price's murder. How could Serena play tennis this year when Yetunde's muderer was on trial? How can people expect her to go on to a tennis court when she has so mucn pain to deal with? The death of Yetunde really shattered Serena's world. It really really affected her perhaps even more than it did Venus. This year in April there was a trial for the killer and he was convicted of Yetunde's murder.Serena says that when she played she looked into the family box and remembered that Yetunde wasn't there. Yetunde was the rock of the Williams family. People think just because Yetunde died almost three years ago that Serena' and Venus and just supposed to move on. I think their absence from the game has a lot to do with Yetunde's death. Also, Serena's mother is now raising Yetunde's three children that's a lot of work and a lot to handle. Its just devastating. So yes Serena took a break due to injury but also because she needed a break from the game.

Bones08
07-14-2006, 09:54 PM
Of course people forget Serena's "mental break" really had to do with her sister Yetunde Price's murder. How could Serena play tennis this year when Yetunde's muderer was on trial? How can people expect her to go on to a tennis court when she has so mucn pain to deal with? The death of Yetunde really shattered Serena's world. It really really affected her perhaps even more than it did Venus. This year in April there was a trial for the killer and he was convicted of Yetunde's murder.Serena says that when she played she looked into the family box and remembered that Yetunde wasn't there. Yetunde was the rock of the Williams family. People think just because Yetunde died almost three years ago that Serena' and Venus and just supposed to move on. I think their absence from the game has a lot to do with Yetunde's death. Also, Serena's mother is now raising Yetunde's three children that's a lot of work and a lot to handle. Its just devastating. So yes Serena took a break due to injury but also because she needed a break from the game.

I agree.

superman1
07-14-2006, 10:32 PM
I wrote Serena out a while ago, but if she does truly make a comeback, she will most likely "blow the joint up." I don't see anyone who can stop her. Serena at her best trumps Mauresmo and Clijsters and Henin.

Bones08
07-14-2006, 10:44 PM
I wrote Serena out a while ago, but if she does truly make a comeback, she will most likely "blow the joint up." I don't see anyone who can stop her. Serena at her best trumps Mauresmo and Clijsters and Henin.

I also agree with that. I always wonder something though-Does the Clijsters,Mauresmo,and Henins want Serena back to show that they can beat her and even up head to heads, or in the back of their minds do they wish she would retire.

Condoleezza
07-15-2006, 12:37 AM

And if she doesn't blow the joint up we simply declare that her comeback wasn't a true one ....

Condi

Topaz
07-15-2006, 08:03 AM

Talent will only take a person so far. Hard work takes you the rest of the way.

And, in case you haven't noticed, it isn't 2002 any more.

Shabazza
07-15-2006, 08:33 AM
And if she doesn't blow the joint up we simply declare that her comeback wasn't a true one ....

Condi
Most likely...

Chadwixx
07-15-2006, 08:47 AM

Maybe she should of moved out of gang bang central. Its not like the williams family cant afford to buy her a house in an area where people arent shot and killed every day.

"Also, Serena's mother is now raising Yetunde's three children that's a lot of work and a lot to handle"

What does that have todo with serena playing tennis? Does serena still live in the same house as her mom or something?

Why did it affect serena (2 years later) and not venus? Story has a ton of holes in it

"This year in April there was a trial for the killer and he was convicted of Yetunde's murder.Serena says that when she played she looked into the family box and remembered that Yetunde wasn't there. "

Serena hasnt played since january. What player box was she looking at?

Bones08
07-15-2006, 10:30 AM
Serena gets (2) Myskina in the 1st round
A great test early v,s, the 04 French Champion-Myskina is very consistent, Serena will need to attack her serves early, and will need to attack the midcourt balls that Myskina hits.