PDA

View Full Version : Help please: stringing gut

wpeng4
07-14-2006, 05:56 AM
I am going to have my LM prestige mid strung by a friend today. The racket is 18x20, string is Klip 15L nat. gut. I always hear this warning about strining guy being difficult. He had never strung gut in the past. What should I tell him to look out for? I did a search and came up with two key issues. 1. tying the knot; 2. burning the cross. Can someone explain this to me a little bit, since I have never strung a racket and can only guess what they mean.
Should we pre-stretch the gut? Thanks for your help.

Tony

Gaines Hillix
07-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Avoid kinking the string. That is the main concern. A light prestretch off the machine will help relax it so it is not as prone to twisting/kinking. If it starts to coil up while installing the strings, let go of the ends of the string and uncoil it like you would a phone cord. If the ends of the string start to get fuzzy, cut a fresh tip at an angle. Pull the knots tight by hand(don't use pliers). Take your time pulling the crosses through the mains and fan them up and down the mains with your other hand while you pull them through.

TennisProPaul
07-14-2006, 11:53 AM
================================================== =======
Don't Bust a Gut! ( Gut Stringing Tips and Info )
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200603/200603natural_gut.html
================================================== =======

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=106955

ThePlungerMan
07-14-2006, 12:34 PM
take your time,(or his)

chrisplchs
07-14-2006, 12:38 PM
take your time... especially with head racquets that have really dense patterns

also, don't pull the string completely at the last two or three crosses. you will rip the gut. go through about 2 or 3 mains, pull the entire length of the string thru, weave two or three more mains, pull entire length through... this will help the gut

wpeng4
07-14-2006, 01:40 PM
thank you guys for the advice. I will let you know how it went.