PDA

View Full Version : Sampras v Courier exhibition

laurie
07-14-2006, 05:01 AM
I think this is very good news. Courier is in shape and is playing at a high level. Sampras has a real incentive now. How would you call it?

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=15656&bannerregion=

ckthegreek
07-14-2006, 06:50 AM
Great news indeed!

Sampras lost to Ginepri easily last time I saw him play. Courier is still v sharp. Has Pete been practising? I hope so!

ED_4.6HSE
07-14-2006, 07:14 AM
Come over to london for the masters sampras, you know you want to! Cant wait to see pete back :D

Will favour courier, match fit

simi
07-14-2006, 09:00 AM
I really love Pete and his game, but I think he is going to embarass himself. He's not match/competition fit yet. I hope I'm wrong.

Tchocky
07-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Courier is going to whip Pete's butt. Sampras better be practicising hard if he doesn't want to be embarrassed.

BTW...are they selling tickets to this exhibition? I might be interested in watching. I doubt it will be a high quality match.

Crichton
07-14-2006, 10:11 AM
If you check my posts, I am a HUGE Courier fan, but didn't Sampras have something like a 16-4 head-to-head over Courier? Even if Sampras is rusty, he was obviously in Courier's head, and might make this exhibition interesting.

BreakPoint
07-14-2006, 10:57 AM
I think Courier should win easily. He never really stopped playing after he retired and has been playing exhibitions and senior events for many years. He's also still in very good shape. Until very recently, Sampras hasn't even picked up a racquet and hasn't kept himself in tip top shape as Courier has. Playing golf all day long is not the best workout to get in competitive tennis shape. We'll see though. I'd love to see it. Too bad there's no way they're going to televize it.

Dan007
07-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Courier would win easily. He is still playing on the senior delta tour and is in great shape and still playing very well. For Sampras, he has been playing golf ever since retiring and just started playing again.

tennisprofl
07-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Sampras is better but he hasnt been playing...therefore courier will win in a pretty easy match

emcee
07-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Eh I still think Sampras will have his serve and that along could make it a match. I heard Pete's backhand really sucked in WTT though...

Rob_C
07-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Yeah Courier's been playing, but he's been playing the senior tour. Sampras lost 3 & 6 to Ginepri after having not played for 3 years, and he just lost in a tie breaker to Fruttero, who's around 200 in the world.

By the time they play, Sampras will have had the WTT matches as practice, I think that's all he'll need to beat Courier.

Moose Malloy
07-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Yeah Courier's been playing, but he's been playing the senior tour.

He's been playing a senior tour with young guys like Ivanisevic, Krajicek, Martin, Pioline, Rios, etc. It isn't a joke, they are still pro-level players who have only been off tour a few years.

Sampras is not going to beat Courier. And I don't think he really cares, the only reason he's playing WTT is that he's "bored"(his own words) And WTT is a shortened format, he's not ready for a best of 3 set match with Courier.
He's not that competitive compared to Mac, Courier, Cash & many other retired champs. Even when he was on tour he really didn't put that much effort into any non-slam events, what's his motivation to train for WTT or exhibitions?

Marat Safinator
07-14-2006, 02:26 PM
courier im certain.

Max G.
07-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I'd guess courier, for the reasons outlined above.

BTW, is Tchocky gonna have odds and a poll for this as well ;)

superman1
07-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Courier will kill him. Sampras needs to get his act together. He's not yet 35 years old and he acts like a 45 year old. You've had 4 years to recuperate, Sampras!

ShooterMcMarco
07-14-2006, 02:48 PM
I hope they televise this thing

Max G.
07-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Courier will kill him. Sampras needs to get his act together. He's not yet 35 years old and he acts like a 45 year old. You've had 4 years to recuperate, Sampras!

I wouldn't really look at it as 4 years to "recuperate" - more like 4 years to get out of practice.

And IMO, he doesn't need to "get his act together" - why does he need to care anymore whether his act is together or not. If he wants to get his act together he can; if he doesn't want to, he's still a pretty good tennis player even with his act falling apart from lack of practice or training...