PDA

View Full Version : Need reccomendation for wood racquet stringing

Thunderace
07-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi, I just bought a wood racket (Maxply Fort) and this is my very first experience with a woodie! I'm very exited to try it out...
...But I have no clue with the strings and the tension. I bet a full gut job would be the best thing to go, but I can't afford the price right now. What do you suggest? A good multi should do the trick also...
Most importantly, what tension should I apply???
As a reference, I normally string my Diablo Mid with a soft multi (no hybrids), Klip Excellerator, TNT2 or NRG at 50 lbs, so on the lower side of the spectrum... given this, how low should I go with my new wood babe?

Thunderace
07-14-2006, 08:43 AM
I need a good old RECOMMENDATION of course, not a reccomendation or whatever, lol...

Gaines Hillix
07-14-2006, 09:39 AM
The tension range on the Maxply Fort is 53-57 lbs. Here are the comments from the USRSA website on this frame;

"Note: Shared holes: 7T,8T,10T & 7H,8H,9H. W-slot will accommodate short side to ensure proper X placement."

This means that you have a main and a cross sharing the same hole at these locations. I believe the W-slot is a channel cut into the outside of the frame on one of the bottom shoulders. I think a soft multi would be fine in it. You might want to use some power pads where the holes are very close together.

Midlife crisis
07-14-2006, 09:48 AM
My current practice racquet is a Maxply Fort. I strung it with pre-stretched NXT OS at 52 pounds on a lockout machine and that feels just about right for me. I typically prefer tensions on the higher end of the range.

The most important thing is to orient the short side correctly. The short side should be the side with the continuous channel cut into the head of the racquet. If you reverse this, you'll have strings that sit outside of the frame, which means one good scrape against the ground and that string will break.

I got this frame used and so some of the holes already had these little plastic "power pad" like pieces glued to it. There are quite a few places where these could be useful, but I recently strung up my Jack Kramer Autograph without these and it also worked fine.

Thunderace
07-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. :)
Hmm, power pads, how can I get some? I don't think I can buy pads per se. Do you cut leather pieces from belts, or so?

Thunderace
07-14-2006, 10:19 AM
I believe the W-slot is a channel cut into the outside of the frame on one of the bottom shoulders.
Actually, as I look at it the W-slot is located in the upper hoop, where the bumper guard of a graphite begins (10 o'clock).

Gaines Hillix
07-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Actually, as I look at it the W-slot is located in the upper hoop, where the bumper guard of a graphite begins (9 o'clock).

Midlife Crisis did a better job of described the W-slot or channel. Anway, just make sure that's where you install the short side string. You can buy strips for making power pads from GSS or you can make your own out of leather strips or old belts or even left over synthetic grip material(the cushioned type).

TennisProPaul
07-14-2006, 10:57 AM
post a picture

Rabbit
07-14-2006, 11:07 AM
I string all my wood rackets at around 58 pounds, +/- 3 pounds.

Thunderace
07-14-2006, 11:11 AM
I string all my wood rackets at around 58 pounds, +/- 3 pounds.
Gut?

spt
07-14-2006, 11:17 AM
If you want the true feel for what players in the 70 and 80 were dealing with, you need to buy some Leonia 66. The only three real choices were that, stay-tight (a blue spiral nylon) or VS Gut. You also had blue star as a choice but unless you could get the "super blue star" the regular stuff was bad even back then. Also, they cut super blue star at 22' and 11' instead of one piece or two 16' pieces.

Thunderace
07-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Leonia 66 is a pretty cheapo piece of crap if I'm not going wrong, real dead feeling. No clue about the blue star thing.
Yes I know I should go gut (Bab VS) but simply cannot afford it! I'll stick with my multi and keep the tenison loose, bout 50 lbs or so. Can't wait to hit with this thing!

Midlife crisis
07-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Midlife Crisis did a better job of described the W-slot or channel. Anway, just make sure that's where you install the short side string. You can buy strips for making power pads from GSS or you can make your own out of leather strips or old belts or even left over synthetic grip material(the cushioned type).

I have a strip of power pad material that I got probably 20+ years ago, but I also know of a stringer who re-uses old leather grips. He cuts the bevels off the sides of the grip and then can get two lengthwise strips for powerpads. One grip is enough to last a lifetime, apparently.

Midlife crisis
07-14-2006, 12:19 PM
If you want the true feel for what players in the 70 and 80 were dealing with, you need to buy some Leonia 66. The only three real choices were that, stay-tight (a blue spiral nylon) or VS Gut. You also had blue star as a choice but unless you could get the "super blue star" the regular stuff was bad even back then. Also, they cut super blue star at 22' and 11' instead of one piece or two 16' pieces.

And then you have to finish it off by wrapping two sets of that colored thread above the top cross and below the bottom cross. Gotta have that authentic look. . .

theace21
07-14-2006, 03:05 PM
I loved blue star, it would fray like gut...Didn't last, stretched like crazy. Good times. I still got one guy that only will use Leonia 66 - I have tried to get him to try something different - he won't!!! I have a few sets on hand just for him. I have been stringing for him for 25 years!!! Customer is always right!!!