PDA

View Full Version : Love for Uncle Tony?

Django
07-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Maybe only former pros like Gilbert, Roche, Annacone, Cahill, Lungren, etc get respect as coaches. But what are we to make of Rafael Nadal's "Uncle Tony" and what he may have done to help develop his nephew?

Raffa gets all the credit -- which may certainly be justified -- for the otherworldly improvement on grass. Think about it. Only 16 matches EVER on grass before this year's Wimbledon. And this clay-court genius makes the finals!

If Nadal was coached by (pick a name) Pancho Segura, I'd bet Pancho'd be basking in the praise for the marvelous work he was doing with this young talent.

So consider this with an open mind: in terms of motivation, preparation, even tactical and strategic coaching, why isn't Uncle Tony getting any love or respect?

pound cat
07-14-2006, 10:51 AM
You can bet that Tio Toni gets lots of love and respect from Nadal, and from every member of the Nadal family..but not any more than any of the members of Rafa's family give to each other. they work as a team, a family, the entire apartment building full of Nadal's

Respect from the media? ..they have no clue as to what the h**Uncle Toni may have done/been doing to help Rafa get to the stage he's at. And IMO a person can be respected by another when that person understands what the person who he should be respecting has done. (See Richard Williams...respect quotient...0)

I respect Uncle Toni a lot...and Igive him this respect even though I have no idea of how he might be coaching Nadal. Maybe it's something as simple as "You can do it" And Toni truly believing that Rafa has the smarts to instantly know what he has to do to win, even within the match.

I think Nadal has a gift for tennis...it's innate...and scary, in a very exciting way.

cuddles26
07-14-2006, 11:30 AM
God that man is a creep, I feel like barfing whenever I see him. I dont want to know anything about him.

Luca
07-14-2006, 11:31 AM
they work as a team, a family, the entire apartment building full of Nadal's
I think thatīs one of the reasons of why he seems to be so well grounded. The whole family living together, looking after the new (but not the first) Sport Star.

About Toni, I have no doubt about the good job heīs doing on his nephew. Why should we? As Nadal says in the interviews, Toni has been very strict as a coach, but they have a very good relation and he feels lucky to be always with a family member, so he never feels alone.

I think the good atmosphere in which Nadal lives will help him a lot in the bad moments that for sure (as any player) will have in the future (far, far future:)

TennisProPaul
07-14-2006, 11:36 AM
God that man is a creep, I feel like barfing whenever I see him. I dont want to know anything about him.

huh?

Uncle Tony?

Mr Williams?

who is that man?

cuddles26
07-14-2006, 12:00 PM
huh?

Uncle Tony?

Mr Williams?

who is that man?

Uncle Tony. Mr. Williams may be a dork sometimes but he is a good man, and entertaining, and understands the art of show biz, and he isnt creepy mystery, who seems so sneaky and coniving, like Tony Nadal.

whistleway
07-14-2006, 02:19 PM

true that. and all that on court coaching, glancing etc makes me not like him.

sandiegotennisboy
07-14-2006, 02:25 PM
toni's signals to nadal:
signal 1:
finger on left cheek and chin resting on base of palm: hit high loopy forehand to federer's backhand
signal 2:
2 fingers on left cheek and chin resting on base of palm: hit high loopy forehand to federer's backhand
signal 3:
3 fingers on left cheek and chin resting on base of palm: hit high loopy forehand to federer's backhand
signal 4:
yelling vamos: hit high loopy forehand to federer's backhand
signal 5:
fist pump: hit high loopy forehand to federer's backhand
signal 6: daydreaming: hit high loopy forehand to federer's backhand
signal 7: sip of beverage: hit high loopy forehand to federer's backhand
signal 8: breath: hit high loopy forehand to federer's backhand
signal 9: blink: hit high loopy forehand to federer's backhand
signal 10: sitting on the seat: hit high loopy forehand to federer's backhand
signal 11: leave the stadium: hit high loopy forehand to federer's backhand

STFU!!!!

tennisjunkiela
07-14-2006, 02:38 PM
toni's signals to nadal:
signal 1:
finger on left cheek and chin resting on base of palm: hit high loopy forehand to federer's backhand
signal 2:
2 fingers on left cheek and chin resting on base of palm: hit high loopy forehand to federer's backhand
signal 3:
3 fingers on left cheek and chin resting on base of palm: hit high loopy forehand to federer's backhand
signal 4:
signal 5:

hilarious!

snoflewis
07-14-2006, 02:48 PM
toni's signals to nadal:
signal 1:
signal 2:
signal 3:
signal 4:
signal 5:

STFU!!!!

sounds just about right...