PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in Australia

tarheels2323
07-14-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm planning on going abroad my junior year (2nd semester so I can see the Australian Open) to Australia. How's the tennis down under? Anyone who's been to Australia, lives in, or has gone abroad to feel free to answer. Any suggestions on where to stay?

emo5
07-15-2006, 01:47 AM
I don't live in Melbourne (where the Aus Open is) so feel free to correct my mistakes Melbourners.

Will you be staying for a long holiday? or just long enough to see the greand slam?
Either way, after reading news papers and hearing from my coaches, the transport is pretty much the same as Sydney which means you'll probably find the transport is terrible and with long delays, especially since it's in summer.(mainly on rail, not sure about the roads since they have more lanes down there) You'll barbeque in the heat if you wear a jumper. You will get sunburnt from the UV intensity so brign sunscreen. I'm not trying to put you away from Australia but only tell you of the crap stuff.

The court hire should be no more than US $12/hr. (should be cheaper)

Don't buy rackets, grips, string etc.. down here because you'll fidn it a big rip off. eg. (all in US$) 11.25 for a 3 pack of Wilson Pro, $70 natural gut (haha), over $250 for good rackets etc.. (you'll see)
Maybe go for souveneirs, they're valuable..

In short, tennis gear in USA is much cheaper, it's hot and humid, the sun is strong, transport is worse macdonalds is smaller (no supersize).

Apart from that, it's clean, the water is safe to drink from taps, we drive in opposite directions, beaches are wicked (BRING BOARSHORTS), we support multicultralism so it's not just painted black and white down here (we have asians, aboriginals-dark skin colour stay away from, greeks, middle-easterns-yes you should laugh at their cars and the way they talk too) every aussie has a funny accent, there are occaisional drunkies who you can laugh at and finally we will laugh at your american and/or canadian accent because we're not used to hearing it :D

Sorry I couldnt help you on hotels but I never stayed in hotels in Melbourne and the vary in Australia. Some are resorts and have tennis courts, some are just apartments with courts. The court hire in a hotel is usally free.
Have fun! ;)

PS:if you have time you gotta try the BBQ's down here, they're amazing

Duzza
07-15-2006, 03:44 AM
Yeah, if you go to the Aussie Open it is Pretty much 30 C everyday sunshine. Its a beautiful city. The transport is improving... especially when a major event is on and if you're lost just ask or follow the big crowd.

So yeah you gonna stay in a hotel?

Emo5 is right, Tennis equipment is a rip down here. But court hire isn't 12 US for sure, its probably 11 tops for an hour lol.

I don't live in the city but i'll be at the Aus Open working :D

tarheels2323
07-15-2006, 05:53 PM
I'll probably be in Australia for about six months or however long the study abroad program is. I'm not sure if I'll stay in dorms or with a host family (I'm not sure about the program's policy). I'll bring all my own tennis gear and the way I see it, it's going to be a trip to have fun (i.e. take easy classes, play alot of tennis, and party four or five days a week - mostly on the beach), and going to the Open will just be icing on the cake. I'll be going in January of 2008 and probably staying until June or so. I can't wait to go.

emo5
07-30-2006, 04:46 AM
Woah til june?

We have 4 main seasons in Australia.
1.Summer - December-February (hot)

2.Autumn(Fall?) - March-May(cold)

3.Winter - June-August(colder)

4.Spring - September-November(perfect mix. Hot but not too humid)

Since you are staying 'til June I suggest you do pack a jacket, jumper, long pants... etc..
It gets pretty cold between in the changing seasons and theres a temperature drop too. it can drop from the 30C mark down to 12C so why dont you just bring your whole house??

I forgot to mention earlier about the tennis courts. In australia we have alot of synthetic grass courts (gawd.. I hate that surface) but ou dont really have a choice. Unless of course you play at the AO courts :D

Just curios, what study program are you doin?'

Have fun

naturalgut
07-30-2006, 06:32 AM
Yeah, generally courts in the City and around the North Melbourne/Carlton area are pretty expensive. i forked over $16 for an hour court hire in that park near the Museum. If you're close to Melbourne Uni, their courts are $10 off peak, and $15 on peak times (5:30 to 7:30, I think).

AndrewD
08-19-2006, 06:11 AM
Have to disagree with the comments about public transport. Sure, if all you do is wait for a train then you might experience some delays (compared to other cities it isn't bad) but the beauty of Melbourne is that there isn't merely one way to get around. You've got trams, buses and trains to choose from. The road systems is infinitely better than in other states (nothing else comes close to the nightmare that is Sydney) and tennis courts are plentiful with prices ranging from free to expensive. If you want to hit at the Tennis Centre (site of the Aus Open) you can, however, if you are studying then you'll be able to make use of the university tennis courts. Join the uni tennis club and you'll have more than enough people to hit with. You'll also have a wide variety of surfaces to play on: hard-courts, Rebound Ace, synthetic grass and en tous cart (dirt courts).

LOL, no-one from Melbourne would ever suggest to a visitor that they shouldn't pack a jumper. Seriously, you can always tell a Melbournian because they never leave home without a jumper and an umbrella - even in summer. Due to the location (on Port Phillip Bay) Melbourne can experience a very quick change in weather conditions although, thankfully, the summer heat doesn't come with the kind of humidity we get in the Northern states. The heat is dry and powerful (ranging from high 20s to high 30s with the occasional day or two in the 40s) but not energy sapping.