PDA

View Full Version : Signum Pro Poly Plasma 17G play report

vinouspleasure
07-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Strung these up at 54 in my i.radical os. I serve and volley a lot, sw forehand, eastern backhand. One hour of practice and then played usta match (two sets) on har-tru:

From the baseline, huge opportunity for spin. My first fh passing shots had so much spin that they landed about 2-3 feet too close to the net. The strings have a nice play feel and after I got used to them, they were fairly precise. Volleying was just beautiful...the ball seems to sit on the stringbed forever and its easy to cup the ball. Kick serves were big...I put a couple of balls head high. Flat serves lacked a little power. Ditto on overhead but certainly enough power to end play.

I think the combination of a powerful racquet and the dampening action of the strings made for a nice combination. None of the harsh vibrations I felt with lux, no wrist tenderness afterwards.

Overall, I loved the string. If its durable and plays like this for another 12 sets, I'll be hooked.

Midlife crisis
07-14-2006, 12:16 PM
I strung up my very old Wilson Ultra II with the 17L gauge of this string at 57M/55C and it plays much more powerfully than the same racquet with TNT Fat Core 16 gauge string, along with providing a lot more spin capability. In fact, the power levels are so much higher that I don't feel like I can use this racquet to practice with any more, and have switched to a wood racquet instead.

I have another, OS racquet with 16 gauge SPPP and they feel more different than the differences in racquet would seem to indicate. The 17L gauge seems softer and firmer, and seems to buzz less.

mellofelow
07-14-2006, 10:46 PM
I also play and love Poly Plasma. However IMO, it's even better combined with Syn Gut (cross).

Punisha
07-15-2006, 12:14 AM
I love SPPP but i lose alot of tension after 10 - 12 hours :( now its ghey, too powerful but i am a big hitter. I strung it at 58. I am now thinking of trying shaway Crossfire II

theace21
07-15-2006, 07:36 AM
I also play and love Poly Plasma. However IMO, it's even better combined with Syn Gut (cross).
I might give that a try. I bought 3 sets a couple of months ago and have not given them a try. Everything a read it seems like a good string. My poly users generally use Luxillon - and they all comment about the string color...

tennis_nerd22
07-15-2006, 09:14 AM

agreed :cool:

300Gkid
07-16-2006, 04:58 PM
do you think its better to combine it with synthetic gut (ex. PSGD) or a multi (ex. Excell Premium)

Wondertoy
07-17-2006, 06:42 AM
do you think its better to combine it with synthetic gut (ex. PSGD) or a multi (ex. Excell Premium)

It depends on your desire for power or not.

300Gkid
07-17-2006, 03:59 PM
well i would like power so......... im guessing a multi would work better for that?

BreakPoint
07-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Has anyone tried syn gut in the mains and SPPP in the crosses? If so, at what tensions and in what frame? How did it play? Thanks

tennis_nerd22
07-18-2006, 03:47 AM
Has anyone tried syn gut in the mains and SPPP in the crosses? If so, at what tensions and in what frame? How did it play? Thanks

lol i tried it by accident, cuz the stupid place i got it strung at strung it wrong... :rolleyes:

i think the tensions were the same, 52 mains 55 crosses, just the strings were in the wrong order.

it was quite a lot more power, and it made a funny sound when i was hitting with it. thats about all i can describe it with. i havent tried it much on court. just on the driveway. i can try it out more if you like :)

HappyLefty
07-18-2006, 07:10 AM
After a long searching I decided for SPPP.
Excellent power with control; ideal for my spin game.
Servers with good access to spin.
Flat serves lacked a little power, but it´s not a problem for me.
Arm friendly despite a poly. This string deserves a try.
BTW, the "Hextreme" version is great to generate more spin.

Ripper
07-18-2006, 07:43 AM

I strung 2 OS POGs with SPPP crosses and LF Phenom mains, 60 pounds all around. Since I hybrided SPPP with a multi, these string jobs lasted less than Gasquet's Wimbledon run (:( ). However, it played very well indeed, while it lasted. Nice control and spin. With the right syn gut, this should be great (however, I'm moving towards all poly jobs, now... I hope I don't regret it later :eek: ).