PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions in 1- Mains vs. Crosses and Soft String

zorg
07-14-2006, 03:58 PM
Question 1-

Is there a percent at how much more mains affect a racket than crosses? For example, I want a soft string and luxilon hybrid, but what is the percentage if I put the lux in the mains, or if I put it in the crosses. I don't want too rough a string, so if it is like 80% I will put it in the crosses. But, will I feel it if it is in the crosses?

Question 2-

What is a soft string other than Natural Gut? I was thinking XCel, but maybe there are better solutions.

TennisProPaul
07-14-2006, 04:05 PM
#1 I have no idea. My guess would be 60%

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200509/200509stringselector.html

MTChong
07-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Have you actually tried natural gut zorg? The weird thing about it is that it may be the most arm friendly, but it isn't actually the softest feeling string - it feels very crisp and elastic; so which are you looking for?

zorg
07-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Er? I m pretty sure everyone knows it is the softest...Its why they use it in hyrids, and why many people that look for touch and feel off a string look at gut.

MTChong
07-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Er? I m pretty sure everyone knows it is the softest...Its why they use it in hyrids, and why many people that look for touch and feel off a string look at gut.

I am asking if you used gut; there are strings that "feel" soft and very cushy while natural gut feels springy and resilient - it is. It IS less stiff, too, though; but it may not necessarily feel that way - which is what i am saying.

zorg
07-14-2006, 08:03 PM
I am asking if you used gut; there are strings that "feel" soft and very cushy while natural gut feels springy and resilient - it is. It IS less stiff, too, though; but it may not necessarily feel that way - which is what i am saying.
I never used a full gut string job, only hybrid with ALU Power Rough. I thought Gut was the softest string, with most feel, that is what people made me beleive in these boards.

MTChong
07-14-2006, 08:22 PM
I never used a full gut string job, only hybrid with ALU Power Rough. I thought Gut was the softest string, with most feel, that is what people made me beleive in these boards.

Please read over my comments again; Natural gut is the most arm-friendly, but it won't feel the softest. It does have unparalleled feel as well; but it's a CRISP and ELASTIC feeling string and not necessarily soft feeling though it is the most arm-friendly string.

Basically:
Natural gut = crisp feeling and highly elastic, responsive, with good ball pocketing and feel.
Natural gut = does not feel soft
Yet, counter-intuitively, Natural gut = most arm-friendly string because it still the least stiff string.

It's an interesting concept to grasp; but it's crisp and not soft, but it is soft at the same time in the sense that it's arm-friendly. Haha

zorg
07-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Let me try to understand what you are saying...It is soft and has a lot of touch, but it doesn't feel like it?

rfprse
07-14-2006, 08:47 PM
It's soft (comparing to mono synthetic gut, poly,..., etc) but not mushy (as some multies).

zorg
07-14-2006, 08:57 PM
So why do so many pros use hybrids with gut? Don't they wan't the spin of the Luxilon, but the touch of the gut? Isn't that why they use it? I am so confused now :(. And while you explain that to me, can you suggest what plays like gut (the real reason of the thread).

MTChong
07-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Just try it... really. And regardless of what it is, it won't be quite like gut.

TennisProPaul
07-14-2006, 09:21 PM
zorg, i feel your pain, and i also feel the pain of MTChong.

all the gut nut crazy people will call me crazy for saying this but, please try a set of a hybrid or full set of Technifiber ProMix 17g. This string has an amazingly gut like feel.

Just try it. Im a tennis nut. I used to teach tennis for 12 years full time. Im a top 10 ranked open player in my section. #2 in Mens 30. i play 15-20 tournaments a year, and have been trying diff string like crazy over the last 2years, and this string feels so amazing alone or as a hybrid.

just try it.

IMO Technifiber ProMix 17g feels closer to gut then any other string

MTChong
07-14-2006, 10:09 PM
zorg, i feel your pain, and i also feel the pain of MTChong.

all the gut nut crazy people will call me crazy for saying this but, please try a set of a hybrid or full set of Technifiber ProMix 17g. This string has an amazingly gut like feel.

Just try it. Im a tennis nut. I used to teach tennis for 12 years full time. Im a top 10 ranked open player in my section. #2 in Mens 30. i play 15-20 tournaments a year, and have been trying diff string like crazy over the last 2years, and this string feels so amazing alone or as a hybrid.

just try it.

IMO Technifiber ProMix 17g feels closer to gut then any other string

A polyester like natural gut? I don't buy it. And even so, the arm-safety benefits are made null in that case.

DX_Psycho
07-14-2006, 10:22 PM
nope. i've tried promix. while stringing i was wondering how it could be a polyester. it was soft like a multifilament but it was coiled like a polyester. (well not that much)

i strung itu p and itp lays great. lasts about 4 times longer than synthetic gut of the same gauge but it's actually softer than the synthetic gut (duraflex)

i think ti's worth it and it feels pretty close to gut to me.