PDA

View Full Version : How much longer do you think my strings will last?

DustMan
07-14-2006, 04:06 PM
i got it strung back in april, I have played tennis about 7 or 8 times since then, and it's starting to peel a little bit in one of the places where the strings intersect.

TennisProPaul
07-14-2006, 04:22 PM
are you kidding me?

let me guess please.

since i dont know how you play or the tension or racquet or string or when you will play next, i will go out on a limb and say

6 hours 27 min, and 14 sec of play.

Punisha
07-14-2006, 05:19 PM
nah hes got atleast 7 hours 42 minutes and 19 seconds !

DustMan
07-14-2006, 05:45 PM
sorry for the lack of info.

my racquet tension is 58 lbs, im playing again tomorrow, and im a level 3.5-4.0 player who hit's with a moderate amount of topspin (my shots are about 70% flat 30% spin)

theace21
07-14-2006, 06:50 PM
You have had the string in for 3 months and have played 7 or 8 times. At this rate, I would think you have another 3 months. But remember, this is all a quess, based on your ability, type of court, length of practice sessions and number of mishits. Nobody can predict how long a set of strings will last. So many variables...I would just play until it breaks...

Valjean
07-15-2006, 02:40 AM
Since you've already investigated the string, have a look at the depth of the notches. By the time the notch depth is at 40%, you're definitely on borrowed time.

TennsDog
07-15-2006, 07:27 AM
I'm not even sure what 70% topspin and 30% flat even means, but basically the player is the only one who knows his equipment well enough to determine how long strings will last. It depends mostly on power and spin, but also who you're hitting against and a myriad of other factors.

For instance, I was hitting with someone and I noticed my strings had broken the outer coating and I could see the white inner-filaments. I was hitting serves at that point and told the other person my strings would last for 6 more serves. On the sixth serve, I snapped 3 strings.
This just comes from a lot of time using the same strings and playing the same way to know what's going to happen.