PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from seeing a WTT event (Gambill, Bryan's)...

Bottle Rocket
07-14-2006, 07:48 PM
I just got back from a Team Tennis event here in Kansas City. Besides our ibeautiful new stadium, I was not too impressed. First let me get everything besides the tennis out of the way.

The music was annoying, the scoring to 5 games is ridiculous (nobody actually get's into the match), and the let serves don't make any sense to me. The announcer and the audience only supporting one team just doesn't make sense to me, nobody seemed to be there to support the tennis itself. Nobody clapped for the Houston team and they got a ton of bad calls. I will say though, we clapped for Houston.

As far as the tennis goes, I was not impressed. Jan-Michael Gambill got destroyed by Mike Bryan in a singles match. The Bryan brothers stood out when the played doubles (obviously), but the rest of the players did not stand out as being much better then some of the people I see at public courts. In fact, it has given me a lot of confidence in my own game. They made simple errors and tons of double faults, I couldn't believe it.

What do you guys think about this WTT stuff? Is a challenger level event better?

Bones08
07-14-2006, 07:52 PM
How was Angela Haynes?

ACE of Hearts
07-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Gambill looks like a guy that belongs in movies rather then a tennis court.

LN_Dad
07-14-2006, 08:05 PM
I'd have to agree with BottleRocket. Went to the Breakers match the other night and the quality of tennis is pretty low. Saw many bad calls and the let serve rule is ridiculous. I've seen better tennis at SC and UCLA men's team matches.

VamosRafa
07-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the report. :D WTT is supposed to be more "entertainment" than real tennis.

You are right, if you want to see competition, go to a challenger. If you want to be entertainined, WTT seems to be a good event to attend.

Did the Bryans play any music?

mileslong
07-14-2006, 08:11 PM
gambills two handed forehand is ridiculous and not effective at all. his brother who also plays for the houston team is an outright joke...he was so bad playing mixed doubles against the newport beach breakers that their coach actually pulled him after two games and substituted in his brother jan michael for him!!! talk about being humiliated in public....

travlerajm
07-14-2006, 08:12 PM
I played Gambill in singles when he was 13 years old and I was 18. The funny thing was that his game then was exactly like it was when he was a top 30 pro.

It's almost like his skills didn't improve, but his size and strength did. His returns were great. And he had powerful consistent strokes off both wings. And his volleys sucked. My most successful strategy against him was to draw him to the net and make him hit a volley. His flat first serve was low percentage, but it was clutch on no-ad deuce points. His second serve was attackable.

Sadly, and embarrassingly, I got beaten 13-year-old.

Bottle Rocket
07-14-2006, 08:19 PM
The problem is that it wasn't that entertaining... A total dissapointment. Seeing the Bryan's practice before anything begain was the best part.

Gambill and his brother had no chance against the Bryan's and Mike (might have been Bob) killing Gambill should mean something. What is up with his partially two-handed forehand? I've never seen anything like that for top spin shots off both wings.

The music between points and first and second serves was driving my INSANE.

travlerajm
07-14-2006, 08:26 PM
The problem is that it wasn't that entertaining... A total dissapointment. Seeing the Bryan's practice before anything begain was the best part.

Gambill and his brother had no chance against the Bryan's and Mike (might have been Bob) killing Gambill should mean something. What is up with his partially two-handed forehand? I've never seen anything like that for top spin shots off both wings.

The music between points and first and second serves was driving my INSANE.

His forehand used to be very solid. He was well-balanced off both wings. He just never learned how to volley properly. His parents even hired a coach to come work with him full-time while he was growing up (a teaching pro that I used to take lessons from).

Fee
07-15-2006, 07:57 AM
Torrey played last night? I thought Graydon was back for that match. Pretty sure it was Bob that beat JMG in singles (Bob is the leftie). Looks like Jan-Mike's shoulder just isn't ready to play two nights in a row yet.

Torrey should never be paid to play tennis anywhere, ever.

dubsplayer
07-15-2006, 08:33 AM
WTT is a gloried hit and giggle. We've a team in my town but I only went twice - one time was just to see Josh Eagle and the other to practice taking action shots with my new digicam. I hate everything about the format but the worst is when the team's fans scream "double double" after a first serve fault.

That being said, I did traispe all over the east coast last year to see Pat, but I didn't care if he was playing or just sitting looking pretty on the bench.

LN_Dad
07-15-2006, 08:40 AM
WTT is a gloried hit and giggle. We've a team in my town but I only went twice - one time was just to see Josh Eagle and the other to practice taking action shots with my new digicam. I hate everything about the format but the worst is when the team's fans scream "double double" after a first serve fault.

That being said, I did traispe all over the east coast last year to see Pat, but I didn't care if he was playing or just sitting looking pretty on the bench.
Who's this Pat you're obsessed with?

dubsplayer
07-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Who's this Pat you're obsessed with?

Are you serious?

Pat Rafter

LN_Dad
07-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Are you serious?

Pat Rafter
Oh, I didn't know he still plays.

dubsplayer
07-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Oh, I didn't know he still plays.

Well yes, he is retired but played WTT the last two years as the guest star for Phili and plays exo's once in awhile since he left the tour, too. As a matter of fact playing exo dubs with Stan Smith tomorrow in Newport.

Fee
07-15-2006, 10:50 AM
You should be in Newport. Something must have happened to stop you from being there.

dubsplayer
07-15-2006, 11:07 AM
You should be in Newport. Something must have happened to stop you from being there.

I have to be way up in the Adironacks tomorrow morning by 9am - visiting day at my kid's camp. 5 hours rt in the car for that and would have been another 5 hours rt in the opposite direction if I'd gone to Newport today. Something had to give and this year it was Pat. *sniff* Kid wouldn't have cared - he's 13 so I'm naturally an embarassment - but what would the other parents think! ;-)

framebreaker
07-15-2006, 11:10 AM
I'd have to agree with BottleRocket. Went to the Breakers match the other night and the quality of tennis is pretty low. Saw many bad calls and the let serve rule is ridiculous. I've seen better tennis at SC and UCLA men's team matches.
what exactly do you mean by "let serve rule"?

dubsplayer
07-15-2006, 11:14 AM
They play lets in WTT.

Fee
07-15-2006, 11:40 AM
I have to be way up in the Adironacks tomorrow morning by 9am - visiting day at my kid's camp. 5 hours rt in the car for that and would have been another 5 hours rt in the opposite direction if I'd gone to Newport today. Something had to give and this year it was Pat. *sniff* Kid wouldn't have cared - he's 13 so I'm naturally an embarassment - but what would the other parents think! ;-)

They would have understood if you had given your child a tshirt that said 'my mother went to see Pat Rafter get inducted into the tennis hall of fame instead of coming here to embarass me with her lack of coolness' :)

dubsplayer
07-15-2006, 11:53 AM
They would have understood if you had given your child a tshirt that said 'my mother went to see Pat Rafter get inducted into the tennis hall of fame instead of coming here to embarass me with her lack of coolness' :)

Yerroight, like he'd actually be caught dead wearing that. Especially if it came from me.

He did tell me one of the tennis pros there looks like Pat. Small consolation. ;)

Fee
07-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Small consolation... well, make sure you make the poor child feel incredibly guilty when you see him tomorrow, because that's what defines a good parent ;) :)

Bottle Rocket
07-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Fee, do you know Gambill or something?

I wasn't too thrilled with his attitude on the court... He yelled at our umpire at one point, the KC fans weren't too happy with that. I was trying to root for him, but it was hard to get behind him.

He made his volleys, but they were sitters right back into the middle of the court.

I'll admit though, just seeing the Bryan brothers practice together about 20 feet in front of me nearly made it worthwhile... :)

I wonder how we got them on our team?

sureshs
07-15-2006, 12:40 PM
What do you guys think about this WTT stuff? Is a challenger level event better?

I have watched some on TV and I attended one WTT event which was more of an exo than a regular event.

I too found the music and the high-octane commentators irritating. But it caters to the average person who just wants to have some fun.

About the standard of play: I don't see it quite the way you do. These are high-ranked pros or semi-pros and they are better than anyone in a public court. At the exo, it was Agassi, Roddick, Kournikova, Austin, Cayhill.

dubsplayer
07-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Small consolation... well, make sure you make the poor child feel incredibly guilty when you see him tomorrow, because that's what defines a good parent ;)
Oh, I pride myself on that. :) He's known about it since the nomination came out and I ran to the calender. Stupid camp had to go switch from having two visiting weekends (one for upper campers and one for lower) to one. If they had kept it the old way I wouldn't have had to go until next weekend. Child hasn't heard the end of it. ;)

Fee
07-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Fee, do you know Gambill or something?

I wasn't too thrilled with his attitude on the court... He yelled at our umpire at one point, the KC fans weren't too happy with that. I was trying to root for him, but it was hard to get behind him.

He made his volleys, but they were sitters right back into the middle of the court.

I'll admit though, just seeing the Bryan brothers practice together about 20 feet in front of me nearly made it worthwhile... :)

I wonder how we got them on our team?

The WTT holds a draft in April for the marquee players. The teams that get them are willing to pay the appearance fees for them.

Yes, I know Jan-Mike.

LN_Dad
07-15-2006, 02:27 PM
what exactly do you mean by "let serve rule"?
They play on even if the serve is a let instead of re-serving the ball.

Game
Game scoring is no-ad (first team to win four points wins the game). Should the game reach deuce (3 points each), the receiver chooses the side from which he/she will receive serve. In mixed doubles, the serve is always gender to gender at deuce. Each game counts as one point in the team's cumulative match score. Players change sides after every four games. Lets are played and either partner may return the let serve.