PDA

View Full Version : Lost about shoes, need recommendation..

tennis_nerd22
07-15-2006, 09:51 AM
hey all,

i started playing tennis last year, and in may, i bought my first pair of real tennis shoes. i got them from another city when on vacation.

anyways, they were the nike zoom vapor 3's. i loved the look and there were rave reviews about them on these boards. but im finding now that its summer and ive started playing 3-6 hours a day, when i come home, my big toe(s) are very sore. they get blisters a lot, and quite often, the skin is peeled. so if this continues happening, even with thicker socks, ill ask my parents if i can get a new pair of shoes.

the problem is, im completely lost as to what to try. durability isnt as much of a factor to me as comfort. i loved the nice snug fit of the vapor 3's, just the forefoot cushioning (if thats the word?) was a problem. i also liked the ankle support. so what shoe would you guys recommend that has overall more cushioning, but it still snug. duarbility is not a problem.

im leaning more towards the nike breathe free II's or the barricade III's...

thanks for the help

(btw i did search, but there's lots of different opinions and im a bit confused. btw im 5'4", 120 lbs, im not sure if my feet are wide or narrow, but i think closer to narrow, and i play on both hard and clay courts every week)

Mr.Federer
07-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Try some yonex sht-305's...they're amazing.

Dopke
07-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Did you remember to "break-in" the shoes? As in.. like slowly getting into them, by first just walking around in them for a couple days before actually going on the court with them?

tennis_nerd22
07-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Did you remember to "break-in" the shoes? As in.. like slowly getting into them, by first just walking around in them for a couple days before actually going on the court with them?

ya i did, ive been using them for almost 2 months now, but i wasnt playing more than 3 hours a week. now im playing up to 5 hours a day. but yes, before i went on court with them in may, i did break them in first.

Try some yonex sht-305's...they're amazing.

k ill look into those, thanks

still open to other suggestions

brucie
07-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Barricade 4 if you can afford them.

Mr.Federer
07-15-2006, 05:05 PM
(btw i did search, but there's lots of different opinions and im a bit confused. btw im 5'4", 120 lbs, im not sure if my feet are wide or narrow, but i think closer to narrow, and i play on both hard and clay courts every week)

Holy crap! You're short...and you're 15? A bit surprised sorry...

tennis_nerd22
07-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Holy crap! You're short...and you're 15? A bit surprised sorry...

haha ya im very short. i have muscle but im short. you should see my friend. he's completely built (works out a lot), he's got bigger muscle than the linebackers on our school football team who are absolutely huge, but he's an inch short than me :rolleyes: . im taller than my mom and a couple of inches below my dad

thejuice
07-15-2006, 09:22 PM
haha ya im very short. i have muscle but im short. you should see my friend. he's completely built (works out a lot), he's got bigger muscle than the linebackers on our school football team who are absolutely huge, but he's an inch short than me :rolleyes: . im taller than my mom and a couple of inches below my dad

Don't worry about the height. You have at least two more growth spurts in you. I don't know what it is but most boys grow to be at least a couple of inches taller than their dads.

nalbandian_fan
07-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Don't worry about the height. You have at least two more growth spurts in you. I don't know what it is but most boys grow to be at least a couple of inches taller than their dads.

not anymore, that trend is slowing down. normally as life in america gets better and better, children live under better and better circumstances- getting better sleep, better nutrition, etc. but thats starting to reach its ceiling as american children are starting to grow to their full potentials.

jonolau
07-16-2006, 12:39 AM
tennis_nerd, where were the blisters on your big toe? On the side touching the shoe? The bottom? Or on the side touching the second toe?

If you have broad feet, that part that hurts the most is usually the broadest point of the metatarsals where the phalanges join it.

I would suspect that the blisters are caused by shoes that are too small.

tennis_nerd22
07-16-2006, 05:49 AM
tennis_nerd, where were the blisters on your big toe? On the side touching the shoe? The bottom? Or on the side touching the second toe?

If you have broad feet, that part that hurts the most is usually the broadest point of the metatarsals where the phalanges join it.

I would suspect that the blisters are caused by shoes that are too small.

the blisters are on the side of my toe that touches the shoe. i dont think they're too small because there is about half of my thumb's width b/w my longest toe and the front edge of the shoe. and i dont think they're too big either, because they never come off even if i tie them loosely.

ive actually always had this type of problem with some nike shoes, never adidas though. like for one pair of soccer cleats i had, it did the same to my outer pinky toe, except it was bleeding

my dad said though that before i go spend more of his money, i have to try using one of those small bandages (tape) on my toe where it gets hurt. so ill do that today :)

tennis_nerd22
07-16-2006, 05:51 AM

haha thanks i really hope so... my only problem is when i was young, i was very allergic to milk, so i didnt start drinking it till i was around 3 or 4 as far as i can remember. i was always the shortest in my class in the younger grades, now im close to average, but still short :)

jonolau
07-16-2006, 06:04 AM
The other thing is to try double layer of socks ...

KBalla08
07-16-2006, 10:01 AM
The other thing is to try double layer of socks ...
i was gona say that, or find some thicker socks. i have these shoes and i have major major feet problems... but i got some thick socks and they work great

thetenniskid07
07-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Nike breathe 3 or fila torneo.

tennis_nerd22
07-16-2006, 12:21 PM
thanks for the suggestions guys, and ill make sure when i play today evening ill wear thick socks.

Lakoste
07-16-2006, 12:23 PM
im leaning more towards the nike breathe free II's or the barricade III's...

you were leaning in the right direction;)

tennis_nerd22
07-16-2006, 12:25 PM
you were leaning in the right direction;)

haha ok

tennis_nerd22
07-17-2006, 09:55 AM
k i got home from some matches last night and my parents realized that my toes were swollen. the pinky toes and the big toes, and they were swollen on top and on the sides that touch the shoe, it was actually pretty nasty looking...

anyways, we went to a small tennis store in my town today, and tried on a pair of nike air resolve plus. i loved the shoe. felt like there was a lot more space and it felt so much nicer to walk on than my vapor 3's. way more cushioning and that "walking on air" feeling. loved it.

so im breaking them in today in the house and ill try them at tennis tomorrow morning, and if i dont like them, ill keep looking. if i do like them, anyone interested in buying a pair of nike vapor 3's? size 9.5 :) (ill put an ad in the for sale section most likely)

unfortunately, they didnt have barricades or the breathe free's which i really wanted to try, but i cant get my hands on them. plus from TW, they cant ship nike prodcuts internationally anyways... :( oh well if im happy im happy i guess ;)

jonolau
07-18-2006, 12:15 AM
From sounds of things, your shoes were too small for you. Glad to hear the new ones are working out for you.

tennis_nerd22
07-18-2006, 02:51 AM
From sounds of things, your shoes were too small for you. Glad to hear the new ones are working out for you.

thanks. ya my mom thought they might be too big because of the friction between the toes and the shoe, but when i went smaller, my toes were bunched together and really uncomfortable. same thing with the shoes i got yesterday. unfortunately it rained overnight a lot so practice was cancelled this morning, ill have to wait till afternoon to try them out on court.

btw about it being too small, there was tons of room between by big toe (longest toe) and the front edge of the shoe, so what im thinking is, my toes are really spread out? its like having narrow feet and spread out toes? :|

tennis_nerd22
07-19-2006, 08:13 AM
oh boy, well i tried the air resolve's at practice this morning, and there just wasnt enough ankle support. my ankles were hurting a lot afterwards (my toes were ok though). back to searching at tennis stores...

this sounds a lot like adely's search for his ideal racket... uh oh :D

aRod36
07-19-2006, 09:26 AM
you could try barricade 2s which are really comfy and have been great so far. one shoe you might want to look into are the match day pumps which are supposbly the most comfortable tennis shoe out there if you dont mind the weight of the shoe, plus there cheaper than the rest.

tennis_nerd22
07-19-2006, 12:11 PM
you could try barricade 2s which are really comfy and have been great so far. one shoe you might want to look into are the match day pumps which are supposbly the most comfortable tennis shoe out there if you dont mind the weight of the shoe, plus there cheaper than the rest.

ya im hoping the stores here will have the barricade II's of breathe free II's..

about the match day pumps, i saw them when i bought my air resolves, but they were too stiff and heavy. just didnt like them

Ano
07-20-2006, 02:52 AM
oh boy, well i tried the air resolve's at practice this morning, and there just wasnt enough ankle support. my ankles were hurting a lot afterwards (my toes were ok though). back to searching at tennis stores...

this sounds a lot like adely's search for his ideal racket... uh oh :D

Don't give up on the air resolve, wear ankle supporters on top of your socks the next time you play with your air resolve. Ankle supporters are really helpful. For the past two years, I have never played tennis without ankle supporters.

Other advice : try Breathe Free II with two pair of socks (you would need a bigger shoe size).

I couldn't vote for Baricade II because I'have never tried them.

tennis_nerd22
07-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Don't give up on the air resolve, wear ankle supporters on top of your socks the next time you play with your air resolve. Ankle supporters are really helpful. For the past two years, I have never played tennis without ankle supporters.

haha, what a coinsidence, looks like you were right about now giving up on the air resolves. i tried them again today, except i made sure to tie them extra tight (not uncomfortable tight, but snug tight) and that made a world of difference. i think the only reason i didnt like them the first time out was because i tied them loose because i didnt want to hurt my toes.

looks like im sticking to them :)

jonolau
07-20-2006, 06:12 PM
haha, what a coinsidence, looks like you were right about now giving up on the air resolves. i tried them again today, except i made sure to tie them extra tight (not uncomfortable tight, but snug tight) and that made a world of difference. i think the only reason i didnt like them the first time out was because i tied them loose because i didnt want to hurt my toes.

looks like im sticking to them :)
Good to hear that you've found a solution to it!