PDA

View Full Version : Ljubicic is THE perfect #4 right now

Steven87
07-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Big forehand, big serve, decent backhand(slices not so good), very competitive....But at the same time: Not consistent, gets tired too quick, cant scramble(and dont use size for an excuse)

Marat Safinator
07-15-2006, 12:56 PM
hes only a few points off no.3, his top ranking.

Steven87
07-15-2006, 12:56 PM
hes only a few points off no.3, his top ranking.
But hes not good enough for #3 or higher....

Shabazza
07-15-2006, 12:59 PM
Big forehand, big serve, decent backhand(slices not so good), very competitive....But at the same time: Not consistent, gets tired too quick, cant scramble(and dont use size for an excuse)
He doesn't have a big forehand compared to other's in the top 20. His 1h BH down the line is his best shot, imo.

Marat Safinator
07-15-2006, 12:59 PM
how can you say that? if he achieves the points to be no.3 hes obviously worked for it.

Marat Safinator
07-15-2006, 01:00 PM
He doesn't have a big forehand compared to other's in the top 20. His 1h BH down the line is his best shot, imo.

he does have a great down the line backhand

Steven87
07-15-2006, 01:00 PM
how can you say that? if he achieves the points to be no.3 hes obviously worked for it.
You honestly think Ljubicic is better than Nalbandian?

Steven87
07-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Hes like 4th in my book for the biggest forehand in the top 20

Marat Safinator
07-15-2006, 01:02 PM
You honestly think Ljubicic is better than Nalbandian?

Yes I do and if he over takes nalbandian it proves he is better than him, as they both are competing healthily week and week out.

Steven87
07-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Yes I do and if he over takes nalbandian it proves he is better than him, as they both are competing healthily week and week out.
no WAY Lub is better than Nalbandian....when was the last time he won a major tourney again?

Golden Retriever
07-15-2006, 01:17 PM
His backhand is better than his forehand

Polvorin
07-15-2006, 03:19 PM
His backhand is better than his forehand

Agreed. Sometimes he hits his forehand really short in the court and players take advantage of it. His backhand is more solid.

Marat Safinator
07-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Agreed. Sometimes he hits his forehand really short in the court and players take advantage of it. His backhand is more solid.

your lover, nalbandian, hit's short balls too.

Steven87
07-15-2006, 08:06 PM
your lover, nalbandian, hit's short balls too.
actually, not being a lover of anyone(just admiring them), Nalbandian hits 75% less short balls, error-prone balls, and unforced errors than Lub

TennisProPaul
07-15-2006, 08:16 PM
actually, not being a lover of anyone(just admiring them), Nalbandian hits 75% less short balls, error-prone balls, and unforced errors than Lub

Steven your funny. Facts are facts not opinions that have no clue. Last 2 matches they played have Ljubicic 5 sets to 0 over your boy. 3,4,4,1,2 thats some serious ownage, serious ownage.

CRO vs. ARG WG Qtrs
Zagreb, Croatia
Carpet
Ljubicic def Nalbandian 6-3 6-4 6-4

ATP Masters Series Miami
FL, U.S.A.
Hard
S
Ljubicic def Nalbandian 6-1 6-2
Stats Total Points Won 35% (37/103) 64% (66/103)

superman1
07-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Nalbandian is no better than Ljubicic. Ljuby seems to be the more consistent guy throughout the year. Nalbandian is just a bunch of wasted potential sitting on the bench and holding his aching stomach.

diegaa
07-15-2006, 08:21 PM
right now the #3 is sealed by nalby. Ljubo only got to #3 just one week and because nalby didnt play that week.

Phil
07-15-2006, 10:23 PM

I guess if you mean "perfect" because he has absolutely no chance of beating the 3 players ranked ahead of him, then yeah, I guess you're right.

rhubarb
07-15-2006, 10:29 PM
right now the #3 is sealed by nalby. Ljubo only got to #3 just one week and because nalby didnt play that week.

Nalbandian is only 60 points ahead (3185 to 3125), and neither have much to defend in the hardcourt season, although David has a qf at the USO, so it's pretty much neck and neck right now. Neither has much chance of making number two, 2000 or so points off, any time soon.

Steven87
07-15-2006, 10:36 PM
I guess if you mean "perfect" because he has absolutely no chance of beating the 3 players ranked ahead of him, then yeah, I guess you're right.
Yes

raftermania
07-15-2006, 10:49 PM
**** Ljubicic. This is what I thought, he had a breeze draw to prove his ranking at Wimbledon and blew it. If you can't beat guys ranked lower than you, you don't deserve the ranking. Get some good Grand Slam results and then we'll start praising you. This wild angst may or may not be fueled by my frustrations for wagering he'd make it to the finals of this years wimby. ****ing Ljubicic!

chapufo1
07-15-2006, 10:49 PM
he whines too much and he's boring to watch.

Raistlin
07-15-2006, 11:14 PM
he whines too much and he's boring to watch.

He's defintely boring to watch but he IS a skilled player.

FedererUberAlles
07-16-2006, 12:10 AM
no WAY Lub is better than Nalbandian....when was the last time he won a major tourney again?

Uh, what about Nalbandian?

Ljubicic is much better than Nalbandian in my mind. His forehand is inconsistent, but he can POUND on the ball. He and Nalbandian are both extremely talented in my mind, but don't maximize the potential.

Progressive10s
07-16-2006, 12:37 AM
Ljubicic does not produce consistent results. Many thought that he would make a run at Wimbledon, but Turnsunov took him out in a tough 5-setter. When his game is on (very streaky), he can beat just about every player in the world except Nadal and Federer.

jonolau
07-16-2006, 04:28 AM
They are both great players in my book. Let's put it this way, none of us here in the forum can even get to be invited into a Grand Slam, let alone win one.

It takes many years of practice and tons of consistent skills to get to their level. Here we are sitting in our armchairs finding fault with these guys. Well, they are only human and are also subject to emotions and bad days.

BUT, that being said, there are some players who are more consistent, and if you notice, the most successful ones have the most even temperaments on the big points, at the most crucial moments and under pressure (though they may also show emotions at other times). They are able to put aside a bad point and focus on the next, rather than drain themselves mentally and fall into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

croatian sensation
07-16-2006, 04:39 AM

You have to excuse me, since I'm from that Croatia country with no culture, so English isn't my 1st language. "To beat" as in win when playing against them or as in getting a better ranking than them?
Cause if it's the first one.... this funny lil page http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/headtohead/head2head.asp?player1=Ljubicic%2C+Ivan&player2=nalbandian says Ljubicic is 3-2 against Nalbandian. And as TennisProPaul said earlier in this thread Nalby still didn't take a set off Ljubicic in 2006.
So my guess is he can beat #3.

tennis_eel
07-16-2006, 06:51 AM
Ljubicic hits beautiful backhands, one of the best on tour. He reckons he is in incredible shape for a man of his size but I tend to think he is talking himself up, he moves a bit sluggishly.

Ivanišević
07-16-2006, 06:59 AM
Nalbandian is no better than Ljubicic. Ljuby seems to be the more consistent guy throughout the year. Nalbandian is just a bunch of wasted potential sitting on the bench and holding his aching stomach.
what about ranking system?
he was no.3 because nalbandian's points were erased from tornament he played a year before.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Ljubicic is better than Nalby at the moment, but Ljubby is a lot older, he has only 3 years more of his max potential. Many players that Ljubby faced and lost to would be beaten by Nalbandian, namely Roddick and Nadal.

35ft6
07-16-2006, 02:28 PM
When it's on, perhaps the best serve in tennis. His kick serve is the silliest delivery I've ever seen. Definitely one of the most skilled players on tour, one of the very few players who can play different styles and implement different strategies for an entire match and do it well.

Andres
07-17-2006, 12:34 AM
David is only 70 or 80 pts above Ivan, so it's not sealed...
But (BUT), indoors season is coming soon, and Ivan got so much to defend, so I guess, Ivan won't be getting much points out of those ;)

(Ivan rocks!! :mrgreen: )

Phil
07-17-2006, 02:43 AM
You have to excuse me, since I'm from that Croatia country with no culture, so English isn't my 1st language. "To beat" as in win when playing against them or as in getting a better ranking than them?
Cause if it's the first one.... this funny lil page http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/headtohead/head2head.asp?player1=Ljubicic%2C+Ivan&player2=nalbandian says Ljubicic is 3-2 against Nalbandian. And as TennisProPaul said earlier in this thread Nalby still didn't take a set off Ljubicic in 2006.
So my guess is he can beat #3.

Well good for you! You looked it up...always nice when someone else can do my research...thank you. So he's 3-2 against Nalbandian...last I checked, Nalby was getting pretty deep in many of the majors in which he's played (over the last few years) and won the Masters' Cup last year. Though I DIDN'T check on Lub's results, something tells me they're a lot less impressive than that.

I'm not sure I ever actually said that Croatia literally doesn't have any culture, but whatever I did say has sure affected YOU...still angry about that one, eh? Okay, let's just say that outside of Croatia, we don't know from Croatian "culture". Outside of many OTHER European countries, we're quite familiar with many aspects of their cultures. Everyone defends their own country, which is good, but in your case, futile. But...keep up the good fight, though. I'm proud of ya!;)

ckthegreek
07-17-2006, 05:40 AM
Rusedski reached #4 in the world so ranking per se don't say much. Ljubo will be out of the top ten this time next year. Stepanek too.

Ivanišević
07-17-2006, 05:48 AM
Well good for you! You looked it up...always nice when someone else can do my research...thank you. So he's 3-2 against Nalbandian...last I checked, Nalby was getting pretty deep in many of the majors in which he's played (over the last few years) and won the Masters' Cup last year. Though I DIDN'T check on Lub's results, something tells me they're a lot less impressive than that.

I'm not sure I ever actually said that Croatia literally doesn't have any culture, but whatever I did say has sure affected YOU...still angry about that one, eh? Okay, let's just say that outside of Croatia, we don't know from Croatian "culture". Outside of many OTHER European countries, we're quite familiar with many aspects of their cultures. Everyone defends their own country, which is good, but in your case, futile. But...keep up the good fight, though. I'm proud of ya!;)
you're from US, right?
tell me.. how could u be familiar with OTHER european countries?
and what did crosen say wrong??
ljubo didn't beat nalbandian 6-1 6-2 in miami... or 6-3 6-4 6-4 in davis cup?
if i'm wrong, please correct me!

Shabazza
07-17-2006, 05:53 AM

You should have...
Ljubicic:
W: Chennai, Zagreb
F : ATP Masters Series Miami
SF: Roland Garros
QF: ATP Masters Series Indian Wells, ATP Masters Series Monte Carlo, Australian Open, Gstaad, Marseille

2 titles; 1 MS final, 1 GS SF; 1 GS QF, 2 MS QF

Nalbandian:
W : Estoril
F : none
SF: ATP Masters Series Miami, ATP Masters Series Rome, Australian Open, Roland Garros
QF: none

1 title; no final; 2 GS SF, 2 MS SF; no QF

For the record both have 5 titles, Ljubicic lost 8 finals, Nalbandian 7.

Pretty even if you ask me, with a slight edge for Ljubicic this year, imo. Saying that he doesn't stand a chance to beat the top 3 players above him, is ridiculous...esp. givivng his h2h against Nalbandian and his 2 wins against him this year, without losing a set!

croatian sensation
07-17-2006, 08:36 AM

Yay...phil is proud of my arguing skills :D (Coming from you- the master of pointless arguing on TW, this is a valuable compliment)
Yes, I'm remembering that one "Croatian culture- if there is one" (it was literally that or very similar) very well.
Sadly, I can't argue about Nalby's results in majors...they are better than Ljubicic's. But, seeing Shabazza's post I see that would also be negoitable LOL. But I'm glad if I proved my point- that #4 can beat/has already beaten #3.
So till next time...

Phil
07-17-2006, 09:21 PM
You should have...
Ljubicic:
W: Chennai, Zagreb
F : ATP Masters Series Miami
SF: Roland Garros
QF: ATP Masters Series Indian Wells, ATP Masters Series Monte Carlo, Australian Open, Gstaad, Marseille

2 titles; 1 MS final, 1 GS SF; 1 GS QF, 2 MS QF

Nalbandian:
W : Estoril
F : none
SF: ATP Masters Series Miami, ATP Masters Series Rome, Australian Open, Roland Garros
QF: none

1 title; no final; 2 GS SF, 2 MS SF; no QF

For the record both have 5 titles, Ljubicic lost 8 finals, Nalbandian 7.

Pretty even if you ask me, with a slight edge for Ljubicic this year, imo. Saying that he doesn't stand a chance to beat the top 3 players above him, is ridiculous...esp. givivng his h2h against Nalbandian and his 2 wins against him this year, without losing a set!

Nalbandian is a stronger player mentally, and has, at least in the past, given Federer fits (and beaten him) while Lubs doesn't even rate a blink from Federer. As far as being even, maybe, but according to your stats above, Nalbandian has been in 4 semis-two majors and two Masters' series. I'd take Nalbandian's 2006 semis over Lubs' quarters any day.