PDA

View Full Version : Was recommended strings, never played worse

BadTemper
07-15-2006, 01:15 PM
I bought a Wilson Nsix-One racquet ( http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=WN6195 ) for only $50 from a shop going out of business and he said he would string it with whatever strings I want. I told him I dont know what strings I want and described what kind of player I am. I told him all of my friends say my game is power and spin. I am a moderately big guy (6' and 220 lbs) I have wide shoulders, so my 2 handed backhand is described as a counter puncher style. I do love to put a ton of topsin on my forehand. He said he knew the perfect strings for me and strung it with these strings ( http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGAMMA-TNT15L.html ) at 60lbs of tension. I went out and played, never played worse in my life. I love the feel of the racquet. But these strings felt spongey and just had no control. The ball either flew long or went straight down. I have never been so ****ed in my life. The strings moved quite a bit on me as well. I used to play with a price CTS approach 90, loved it! So that size of a racquet feels good. I have posted about strings before and many people couldnt believe I liked using polyester strings and strongly recommended me to not use them. I had complained about them fraying and becoming brittle.
Any help would greatly be appreciated. I am really lost here...

brucie
07-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Is the racket 16*18 if so 60lbs may be too low for a big guy like you! I DID JACKS A 13 YR OLD JUNIOR AT 62 and it feels low technifibre syn gut 1.30 in his he says he may try 64 maybe you should, im alow tension man as i dont hit that much out (Clay courter style game)! Got 48 in my revelation 200G

Mr.Federer
07-15-2006, 01:26 PM
If the guy said you can take w/e you string you want, why didn't you take some natural gut! Oh man, what a chance!:)

BadTemper
07-15-2006, 02:20 PM
I think I might try a thinner string to help with the spin...
He said he had the perfect string for me, so I wasnt going to battle on the free strings...
I think I might go to tension 63 lbs

Saito
07-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Thinner gauge for you... 15 is too big for your play style IMO

SydneyJim
07-15-2006, 02:58 PM
really 15g is too big for anyone lol, i'd love to play with 17g but i would be re-stringing racquets every hour. i pop 16g(lux-main)/(polygut-cross) probably in 2/2.5 hrs of hard play. but if you don't pop strings often, go with a 17g string... easier on your arm and better feel

i had to go with two poly strings, a softer poly for the cross. if you want ultimate touch, really go with natural gut, but you might go broke pretty quick. the babolat xcel is a great soft string if you don't want to go broke with gut

for the poly string lines, lux is by far the most stiff, then some softer polys are like pro hurricane(babolat) or polygut/(prince, if i'm not mistaken the gosen poly is the same thing as the polygut, save ya a few bucks)/ i've used two different blends of polys and i like both, lux original-main/polygut-cross and babolat polymo ballistic-main/pro hurricane-cross both are great

STRman
07-15-2006, 04:24 PM
I was going to say that it may be the stringing technique until I clicked on the link and saw it was Gamma. I've tried several different gammas and have seen other players try it and the strings just always seem to suck, no matter what tension they are strung with. They make good grips and machines though.

couch
07-15-2006, 07:05 PM
BadTemper,

No need to get so mad, it's only tennis string. I hope you find what you like.

I go through all kinds of different string when I start playing a new racquet to get the right feel. What eventually happens is I go back to my old racquet and old strings. Now that makes me mad because I spend all that money and just go back to my old racquets. UGH!