PDA

View Full Version : Federer's parent, did they play any sport?

Gundam
07-15-2006, 04:00 PM
We all know much about Nadal's family. Now I wonder if Federer's family is athletic as Nadal's. There gotta be some genetic background for such an excellent tennis player. His dad looks like a pharmacologist, not a former soccer player though.

Andy Hewitt
07-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Don't think so. Definately not his mother.

jaykay
07-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Federer is:
a) A genetic mutation, and/or
b) A cyborg programmed to play elegant, perfect tennis

nadalgirl26
07-15-2006, 05:26 PM
They probabaly had an ugly big nose just like him.

wyutani
07-15-2006, 05:28 PM
nah. they didnt play sports...just typical normal ppl...

Virtuous
07-15-2006, 06:34 PM
His parents played tennis recreationally, and would bring him and his sister along to the club. Roger took to it, his sister didn't. Sometimes innate talent has nothing to do with genetics

dh003i
07-15-2006, 08:11 PM
actually, innate talent has everything to do with genetics. There was no significant environmental difference for Federer and his sister. Yet, Federer is a professional tennis player.

Why is it so hard for people to accept that there are significant natural differences between people, that are the result of genetics?

tennistensai
07-15-2006, 09:37 PM
actually, innate talent has everything to do with genetics. There was no significant environmental difference for Federer and his sister. Yet, Federer is a professional tennis player.

Why is it so hard for people to accept that there are significant natural differences between people, that are the result of genetics?

because it kinda makes u feel a bit cheated since the one with "better genes" didnt hab to work for it

Raistlin
07-15-2006, 09:44 PM
No. Roger's parents really were not any sporting people. Pharmacists, accountants but no athletics. Whether it's genetic is hard to tell. For all we know Roger's grandfather/great grandfather may probably had. But it might just be that is skill was environmetally created.

Genetic or Environmental, as far as I'm concerned he's still kicking the asses of players of both sides of the coins:mrgreen:

rhubarb
07-15-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm pretty sure his mother used to play hockey (or something similar) at a high level (international?) for South Africa, so there's definitely some athletic precendent there.

dh003i
07-15-2006, 10:03 PM
I think the talent is genetic. And even to some extent potential for strength, hand-eye coordination, etc.

I don't care how much the average person practices tennis, from 2 on up -- they'll never be anywhere near as good as Federer.

And as for fealing "cheated" b/c someone else has "better genes", well, that's life. We're all different. People should learn to deal with it.

borisboris
07-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Classic shot of Feds parents at the Champions dinner - Wimbledon. Mother's got a great body. Yahoo sports then tennis then click Fed under rankings then photo's. Mirka looks great also.